• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Certain Magical Index (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalilulelo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
to me it looked kinda interesting as a whole...

but the part im most satisified is the main character with his misfortune ability but with great power beyond it its just plain cool...and srsly i wonder why he is only lvl 0 he has a kinda very powerful defensive power of course it is specialized to godly abilities but i think soon enough he will develope offensive powers...
Riah

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
lalilulelo wrote:
to me it looked kinda interesting as a whole...

but the part im most satisified is the main character with his misfortune ability but with great power beyond it its just plain cool...and srsly i wonder why he is only lvl 0 he has a kinda very powerful defensive power of course it is specialized to godly abilities but i think soon enough he will develope offensive powers...

I don't think he's level one, I think he was lying when he said that.... but I might be mistaken. Confused
FrederickIIofHohenstaufen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I was quite supprised by this one...
I only watched it because it got decient reviews on the fall anime previews. It itself is not steller, in the sense that it copies several other anime shows I've seen, however, character devlopment seems to be there, and the cliffhanger at the end was enough to keep my interest. I hope the series doesnt fall short, because it could be a true gem
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:53 pm Reply with quote
No he's really level 0 even though it's not a real indication since... spoiler[How exactly do you measure a power that nulls everything?]

Episode 2 aired the other day, I gave up following the raw since there was too much dialogue to follow, this is based on a light novel after all and I haven't read the manga for this beforehand like everything else I'm following raw this season. (Kannagi, Skip Beat, Kurozuka and springs Soul Eater).
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
Eh, I didn't like the second episode nearly as much as the first...

spoiler[I don't like Index having that "other side" of her. You just see it way too often in shows and it kills some of the innocence of the character. The fight was pretty well done and the main character's escape and battle plan were pretty surreal, but all the mage's dialogue was a little too much and is what you'd expect from your average bad guy character in any anime like this. Granted I liked how he showed concern in his eyes while staring at Index, so the fact that he's probably not all bad is a good sign. The thing that irked me most about this episode was the fact that the teacher lives next door, which kinda cheapens everything a bit. There's no silly harem comedy involved in that though so that's at least good. Also, the whole cliche mysterious girl character appears at end of episode thing doesn't seem to be propelling the series in a great direction either, but we'll see.] Overall, quite a few of little things introduced that bother me that add up to a significant level of cliche, and very little plot, character, or world development. I know nothing more now than I did in Episode 1, which I can't call a good thing. On the flip side, the fight was nicely done and the main character definitely isn't stupid.

My expectations have fallen a little, but it remains a competent show at this point. It still has the potential to be very good, but I'm more than slightly worried now that it will end up going the Kaze no Stigma route and turn out to have a mediocre plot while starting from a pilot episode with so much potential. I have this bad gut feeling now that it really could end up that way. Looks like JC Staff really might have their chosen show (with the other show's quality compromised), with Toradora as the chosen show, and not Index.

P.S. I hope my gut is wrong about this and I'm wowed by Index in subsequent episodes, while Toradora maintains the high quality. Oh please, let it be completely wrong. Please.

Last edited by frentymon on Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:13 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
[Edit: No requesting illegal downloads. - Keonyn]
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Looks like JC Staff really might have their chosen show (with the other show's quality compromised), with Toradora as the chosen show, and not Index.

Index's production is much higher quality than Toradora and Index didn't just have half 8 manga chapters compressed into one episode like Toradora. While that turned out pretty damn good for Toradora last episode will it stay the same?

Edit - Also Index is now confirmed for 24 episodes and is getting a Blueray release and has the I've Sound machine behind not only the OP/EDs but also doing the bgm. Index is clearly the flagship J.C Staff title of this season and seeing how there is 16 light novels and counting we'll be seeing an Index 2 and 3 over the next few years...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I thought the 2nd episode was good; If you haven't seen it, aviod this spoiler[ I liked the character devlopment in the 1st one. I didn't have a problem with the 'other side' of index because it felt more like an unconscience reaction... I think thats the point, she as 103 thousand volumes of magic memorized, and the mage called he 'that thing' so, knowing japanese anime, she isnt human (a humanoid robot more likely, or an alien, or something like that).] The 2nd episode had plenty of action though, and the show still has promise to be one of the best.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think much of this latest episode.
In particular, I thought that spoiler[the battle scenes were pretty stupid. One moment the main character is holding back Inocentius with his right-hand and the mage villain throws a fire attack at him from behind, the next moment the main character is halfway down a corridor a floor down, with no explanation as to how he got out of the predicament (He was holding back Inocentius with his right hand, how did he block the attack?). Another problem I had was with how confident the main character was when he set the sprinklers off and came back. He had no fear, which would have been fine it it weren't for the fact that he had no reason to count on all the runes being destroyed (not all ink runs so easily, and tabs on the ceiling shouldn't even be touched by the water).
It seemed like they were trying to make the main character seem shounen-style cool, but it doesn't work for me when the scenario is poorly planned out.

As for the mysterious girl at the end, I feel the same way as Frentymon.]

I think I'll be dropping this series, unless I hear very good things about the next few episodes. Sad
Psyco13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I liked the second episode it was good enough for me to keep watching spoiler[ did u guys not find the teacher seen funny Very Happy i mean she's soo small yet she's like a chain smoker/alcoholic haha but i also enjoyed the fight scene; shows that the main lead isn't dumb he used his brain to actually fight and it also showed that mages aren't invincible ]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Some characters take the better part of two 24 episode series to get their chance at badassery. Touma took two episodes.

spoiler[Loli-sensei's adult habits amused me. The fact that we discover this while she's wearing cute bunny pajamas makes it all the more amusing.]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I've Sound doing the BGM along with the OP and ED theme songs makes it already awesome! Cool

HitokiriShadow wrote:
Some characters take the better part of two 24 episode series to get their chance at badassery. Touma took two episodes.

spoiler[Loli-sensei's adult habits amused me. The fact that we discover this while she's wearing cute bunny pajamas makes it all the more amusing.]

I'm fairly impressed how Touma handle things. It's definitely pushing this series to a rather interesting direction. Of course, I may need to keep track to all that jargon. spoiler[And LOL at the loli teacher's smoking and drinking habits!]
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
My worries were dispelled as Touma this time relied on his intellect rather than his hand, his tactic was simple, but it was quite fun watching him as he used his surroundings to his advantage. Now that it was revealed that his ability has its limitations, things might be getting interesting and fresh from here on.

This is so far one of the better shows of this season.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3....it's the much-needed, requisite EXPOSITION EPISODE!!! Surprised

Granted I wasn't too bored by it probably because I was enjoying the BGM during the explanations. spoiler[Basically the reason Index is getting chased is that an opposing anti-magic group called the Necessarius wanted all those volumes so they can reverse engineer them and neutralize magic. Also, Index is also suffering from memory losses considering she can't remember when she came to Japan.

I find it amusing that loli teacher's PS2 memory card is used in the healing ritual. Laughing]

Next episode, Touma goes against that sword-wielding chick, Kaori Kanzaki so consider that as compensation!
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3: I liked it, and I think it should be a good show if I'm not complete off-base.

spoiler[So I guess the "bad guys" from the last episode aren't really so bad after all. They express how they don't want to destroy Index's happiness, but don't really have a choice. Index obviously has a reason for not wanting them to have the volumes, but it's not revealed yet I guess.]

Some more action fun next episode! I kinda wish they'd take an episode to just explore the whole Academic City though, it seems really cool...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 32