• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Free Ouran, School Rumble 2 Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Actually, theme song dubbing seems to be a lost art. It used to be done a lot more in the 90's, especially by Pioneer (since they either own the songs already, or the Japanese owners weren't complaining/suing). Confused

I agree, enurtsol. While I wasn't expecting to hear the Op and End in English, I was pleasantly surprised by how fluid and comprehensive they ended up being.

My personal take on the dub is that it well deserves the praise it's being given, and also well worth the wait. FUNi's persnickety selection of the dub cast was not in vain. I think they matched each character extremely well, and I find myself cracking up over the hosts' antics all over again. Bravo, FUNi. I'll be more than happy to purchase the half-box asap. Anime catgrin You folks win at life. Keep on doin' what you're doin', I say.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:54 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

No, they're totally unnecessary, and a form of language-mixing. Get rid of the damn honorifics. The relationships are IMPLIED anyway, so you're not missing anything. Again, it's just pandering to weeaboos who think Japan is holy. We don't use Japanese honorifics in the West; why include them in an English anime dub other than to pander to weeaboos, or as a mark of hypocrisy or laziness!? A translator cannot and must not leave some words in Japanese (Or any other language) while translating others. He must choose ONE meaning, ONE interpretation, which means finding ways around honorifics and other nuances. This puts the skills of the translator to a severe test, giving him a mental challenge. To say "Oh, it can't be translated" and then leave it as is is the mark of a lazy translator who has no business even translating anything in the first place!

Again, I disagree. I am not a weeaboo, and I don't think Japan is holy. I prefer dubs. I don't think Japan is a prefect country, I think it has a lot of flaws. I think Japanese is confusing and overly formal, and although I think it's an interesting language I prefer English.

But I see nothing wrong with leaving the honorifics in when the show is set in Japan. We're not stupid, we're both well aware that the shows we like are made in Japan. Why not acknowledge the cultural differences? Why not learn about culture and embracing it? I don't see leaving the honorifics in as laziness, I see it as an acknowledgment of a part of their culture that is important to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:02 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
I disagree on the honorifics. For a show like Ouran, that's set in a Japanese school, I think they're important. They carry a lot of weight, and they're part of the culture. They're easy to explain with a insert in the DVD, too. I learned about honorifics when I was first getting into anime and manga, and it didn't take me long to figure them out with help from translator's notes.

No, they're totally unnecessary, and a form of language-mixing. Get rid of the damn honorifics. The relationships are IMPLIED anyway, so you're not missing anything. Again, it's just pandering to weeaboos who think Japan is holy. We don't use Japanese honorifics in the West; why include them in an English anime dub other than to pander to weeaboos, or as a mark of hypocrisy or laziness!? A translator cannot and must not leave some words in Japanese (Or any other language) while translating others. He must choose ONE meaning, ONE interpretation, which means finding ways around honorifics and other nuances. This puts the skills of the translator to a severe test, giving him a mental challenge. To say "Oh, it can't be translated" and then leave it as is is the mark of a lazy translator who has no business even translating anything in the first place!

Funny because you just remarked in an earlier post that Japanese is a SACRED language that should never be tampered with. Sounds pretty weeaboo to me.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:05 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the OHSHC dub and was pretty impressed. I didn't mind the theme dubbing and I actually liked the English "Sakura Kiss".

MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

But I see nothing wrong with leaving the honorifics in when the show is set in Japan. We're not stupid, we're both well aware that the shows we like are made in Japan. Why not acknowledge the cultural differences? Why not learn about culture and embracing it? I don't see leaving the honorifics in as laziness, I see it as an acknowledgment of a part of their culture that is important to them.

Yeah, honorifics in a dub don't really bother me. I was surprised at first, but I don't see it as a big issue, just FUNi's adaptation choice.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:07 am Reply with quote
Haha, Hani sounds like Duck from Princess Tutu Smile

So awkward hearing Greg Ayres...

enurtsol wrote:
Actually, theme song dubbing seems to be a lost art. It used to be done a lot more in the 90's, especially by Pioneer (since they either own the songs already, or the Japanese owners weren't complaining/suing). Confused

Which shows were these? I don't own many of those old Pioneer shows beyond anything related to Tenchi Muyo, Cardcaptor Sakura, and Sailor Moon.

Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Funny because you just remarked in an earlier post that Japanese is a SACRED language that should never be tampered with. Sounds pretty weeaboo to me.

I think that's called hypocrisy.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:37 am Reply with quote
People are asking why did they make the songs in English.

I say...

Why the hell not? I like the fact that they do translate everything. I just wish Funimation would make an album of all the songs that they've dubbed. The opening to Yuyu Hakusho must have been one of my favorites.

There is the original version in the Japanese audio track, so I fail to see why it is a problem.

I haven't watched Ouran yet, but I'm going to. I definitely want to see why there is so much hype for this (besides the male fanservice). I've tried the Lucky Star deal, and it failed. >_>;;;
Patches

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:34 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Tell me, do you get this offended at shows that refer to people as "Señor" in Mexico or "Monsieur" in France but otherwise speak English?

I mean, why can't that Taco Bell dog just say he wants some Taco Bell? Why the unnecessary language-mixing?!
konkonsn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I really don't like Mignogna in a lot of the roles he tends to get (sorry! personal preference). But I gotta say, he really plays well as Tamaki, and I think he was an exceptional choice for that role. I could still tell it was him, but it wasn't the voice he normally uses (like in FMA and Saiyuki).

Caitlin Glass as Haruhi is very awesome. I totally couldn't tell it was her, and the voice definitely works for both her female and male roles.

Asrialys wrote:
Haha, Hani sounds like Duck from Princess Tutu Smile

Hehehe...and they kinda look similar too. Maybe he's really a magical boy in disguise. Wink

Quote:
So awkward hearing Greg Ayres...

I really don't like him as Kaoru. I felt Hikaru's personality fit him better, and I think he would sound better in the "dominate" role in their games (gwarsh, I'm not even a shounen-ai fan). It sounds kind of fake when he's pretending to be submissive.

I haven't watch the Japanese version (I've read a few of the manga), but this show felt really low key despite all the action that was going on. Is it normally supposed to be more hyper? Is Tamaki supposed to be talking faster when he goes on one of his speeches?
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
People are asking why did they make the songs in English.

I say...

Why the hell not? I like the fact that they do translate everything. I just wish Funimation would make an album of all the songs that they've dubbed. The opening to Yuyu Hakusho must have been one of my favorites.

There is the original version in the Japanese audio track, so I fail to see why it is a problem.

I haven't watched Ouran yet, but I'm going to. I definitely want to see why there is so much hype for this (besides the male fanservice). I've tried the Lucky Star deal, and it failed. >_>;;;

I never had any problems with funi song dubbing, I've actually enjoyed quite a few of their song dubs, like there ones for case closed, fruits basket, and their Yu yu Hakusho opening dub was one of my favorites too (if you're interested if you search on youtube you can hear the complete song). My problem with their song dubs for Ouran is the same one I had with their song dubs for Peach Girl (not to mention the rest of the dub job for that show, but that's an entirely different story Rolling Eyes ), the songs required a particular kind of voice and energy and neither were achieved. Sakura kiss doesn't have to be done by a super high pitched voice but some one that had a youthful smooth voice would have sufficed, but who'd they get to do it? They recycled that same awful rocker female voice they have tucked away somewhere who never sounds good in anything she sings Confused . I don't know where they found the guy who sang shissou, but he too sounded too old and his performance was flat devoid of any energy. I wonder about funi's vocal talent because they haven't shown me that they care too much about who sings these songs just so long as they're in english.

I whole heatedly encourage you do watch ouran though be it in Japanese or the dub (the voice talents really brought their A-games). It looks to be all male fanservice on the surface but it ends up being a romance,comedy, reverse-harem, gender bender with actual substance as hard as that is to believe, but just watch and you'll see that each of the characters have a lot of depth beneath their stereotyped host classification.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I never had any problems with funi song dubbing, I've actually enjoyed quite a few of their song dubs, like there ones for case closed, fruits basket, and their Yu yu Hakusho opening dub was one of my favorites too (if you're interested if you search on youtube you can hear the complete song). My problem with their song dubs for Ouran is the same one I had with their song dubs for Peach Girl (not to mention the rest of the dub job for that show, but that's an entirely different story Rolling Eyes ), the songs required a particular kind of voice and energy and neither were achieved. Sakura kiss doesn't have to be done by a super high pitched voice but some one that had a youthful smooth voice would have sufficed, but who'd they get to do it? They recycled that same awful rocker female voice they have tucked away somewhere who never sounds good in anything she sings Confused . I don't know where they found the guy who sang shissou, but he too sounded too old and his performance was flat devoid of any energy. I wonder about funi's vocal talent because they haven't shown me that they care too much about who sings these songs just so long as they're in english.

I whole heatedly encourage you do watch ouran though be it in Japanese or the dub (the voice talents really brought their A-games). It looks to be all male fanservice on the surface but it ends up being a romance,comedy, reverse-harem, gender bender with actual substance as hard as that is to believe, but just watch and you'll see that each of the characters have a lot of depth beneath their stereotyped host classification.

Kristine Sa sang the opening, and I think she's fairly well-known and is a good singer. The problem may have been that she had to force herself to sing differently than normal. Who knows.
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Honorifics in dubs are unnecessary and usually sound awkward. If honorifics are that important to you, then watch the Japanese version (and, no, honorifics don't need to be subtitled, either, because you can hear them). Yes, they convey concepts that aren't exactly translatable into English, but there are a lot of other elements of Japanese that don't translate, either. Should they slap 'masu' and 'desu' at the end of sentences of characters who are speaking politely? Or have them use 'ore', 'boku', 'watashi', 'atashi', or any of the many other personal pronouns that exist in Japanese in the English version, just because translating them all as 'I' loses the original feeling? Hell, why not just have them repeat the entire script in badly mispronounced Japanese, with translator's notes to explain what's going on ? Wink If all of the original intricacies of the Japanese language are what you're looking for, don't look for a dub to recreate them, because it's simply not possible. The Japanese version should sound natural to the Japanese audience, and the English version should have the same effect for English viewers, not sound like an awkward attempt to replicate the original.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:30 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY.

I get to see the Ouran dub. I must say, I had MASSIVE apprehensions about this dub, even for Funi. I know they put out quality work, but Ouran is like a lot of slice-of-life anime in that it's hard for the humor or the circumstance of the story, even, to feel or sound as natural in English, no matter how good the acting, watching the Japanese feels like a better experience. This is true of Fruits Basket, which has a fantastic dub but can come off as melodramatic sometimes because one forgets the Japanese context of a lot of the conflicts that wouldn't be as weighty in an American setting. (Family ties, alienation, striving for self-worth, etc.) I don't know.

But my apprehensions were ill-founded. This dub is FANTASTIC. There wasn't a single awkward moment or joke that didn't work in the entire two episodes. I think the OP and ED were...well, they were a little unenthusiastic, I'll agree, but who cares, you get both and two songs are better than one! Actually, I have a friend who's filipino and HATES English dubs and she thought Sakura Kiss was better and less annoying in English, so hey.

I was curious as to how they were going to handle the honorific-toned humor, and they did it well. ("A girl should never refer to herself as a DUDE!") Laughing I didn't like that they said "sempai," though, that was odd and my biggest bone to pick with this dub. -Chan is slightly distracting, sempai feels quite out of place.

To the acting: Everyone has played their roles very well, even the twins, who I've heard the most flack about. This doesn't surprise me, as all of those roles are somewhat archetypal and easier to play, and these are talented people. The one concern I've had (that I always mention) is that Tamaki is a very delicate balance to hit and the Japanese was so superb that, as much as I like Vic Mignogna, I didn't know if he could be THAT good or not.

Out of all the cast, however, he's done the best with blowing his role out of the water. He is a stupendous Tamaki and he's already replaced the Japanese voice in my head when I think about the character. Yay. I can't wait for this to come out.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:

xD I didn't like the Peach Girl dub that much. For some reason, my mind pictured Kelly Sheridan as Momo. I don't know why, but I probably would've loved her. Then again, I thought Peach Girl was kind of odd as an anime, since the cut all the juicy stuff out. The dub did make it funnier, though. High school drama, good stuff. The songs could've been better.

I agree with you on the OP themes, it varies from series to series.

o_o Well, I know my best friend indefinitely recommended OHSHC to me, I'll watch it, though. Thanks for the tip.

Patches wrote:

I mean, why can't that Taco Bell dog just say he wants some Taco Bell? Why the unnecessary language-mixing?!

....Er...I don't think that's a good comparison... >_>;;
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
The dubbed opening for Ouran was meh, although the ending was nice-Vic did a good job singing. The actual episodes were hilarious and well done, and had me lolling. Laughing

"The day before school started, one of the kids in my neighborhood got some gum in my hair. It's a real pain to get gum outta long hair, so I decided to cut it all off. I didn't care if I looked like a dude, y'know?" -Haruhi

"GRARRR A GIRL SHOULD NEVER REFER TO HERSELF AS A 'DUDE!'!! MAMAAA! HARUHI'S USING THOSE DIRTY BOY WORDS AGAIN!!" -Tamaki (the way he says 'dude' makes me snort Anime hyper)
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:00 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

"The day before school started, one of the kids in my neighborhood got some gum in my hair. It's a real pain to get gum outta long hair, so I decided to cut it all off. I didn't care if I looked like a dude, y'know?" -Haruhi

"GRARRR A GIRL SHOULD NEVER REFER TO HERSELF AS A 'DUDE!'!! MAMAAA! HARUHI'S USING THOSE DIRTY BOY WORDS AGAIN!!" -Tamaki (the way he says 'dude' makes me snort Anime hyper)

I know! What's cool about this dub is that it's not only "well-translated" or whatever, but that's it's actually FUNNY in English, and you don't have to be an anime fan to think so. My roommate, who has no interest in anime, already wants to see it. (She's a big Bravo Channel/The O.C. kind of girl...)

The way Vic pronounces things as angry Tamaki is silly in general because he enunciates so well when he's being charming, but he gets all drippy and babyish in his speech when he's mad. Laughing

"I don't understand how you're so popular with the ladies when you yourself are a LAY-DAY!" I nearly bust a lung and fell out of my chair.

EDIT: Waitwaitwaitwaitwait...that's VIC singing the ED "Shisshou?" Shocked

...Okay. I can hear it now. I knew he was a good singer, but I've never heard him sing like that. He's clearly trying to match the Japanese. Well, the OP and ED aren't Funi's best efforts, but they're fine, I think I'll get used to them, and the Japanese is still on there. At least they're better than the Case Closed translations, those were terrible. Yu Yu Hakusho's translated songs came out BY FAR the best...I love the 3rd ED in English. (Digression, digression.)

Last edited by JacobC on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4