• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Negima!? banner add.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stopher87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think that the Negima!? banner add looks like an advertisement for girls gone wild? It is like, "31 girls and one guy!" I know that the Japanese have different standards but there is a right way and a wrong way to advertise, or do they think that they can only push DVD's with the addition of possible nudity. Although we all know that that does work.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
It's for the OVA, right? There isn't much else to advertise; it's got fanservice, and then naked fanservice. I suppose they could have done something involving the chupacabra, but that probably wouldn't work nearly so well.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the ads shows exactly what you're going to get, as far as I know. Definitely not my cup of tea, but there you go.

I find it less annoying than the Anime Castle ads, which seems to assume that if you're an anime fan, you wan to stare at pictures of generic anime girls scantily clad. Since they seem to sell more than just H-games it's really off-putting, to the point where I've pretty much vowed to never, ever buy anything from their site.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
It's Negima for starters, by the panty shot and steam covered nudity master Ken Akamatsu himself. What do you expect? Seriously. It's not like the title isn't a sexual fanservice pushed show to begin with. I mean it's not like they're advertising for a more serious show with an ad like that. The ad very accurately represents the show so I don't see any problem with the ad itself. It is a bit sad that so many ads (especially anime castle tyvm) rely so heavily on the sexual factor to push something but that's just how it is. Sex (which in this context I'm using to mean anything sexually related like fanservice) sells and always will like it or not. Plus if you meant to make this a thread for actually complaining about the ad you should have done it in the Bugs & Technical Questions section.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Yeah, the ads shows exactly what you're going to get, as far as I know. Definitely not my cup of tea, but there you go.

I find it less annoying than the Anime Castle ads, which seems to assume that if you're an anime fan, you wan to stare at pictures of generic anime girls scantily clad. Since they seem to sell more than just H-games it's really off-putting, to the point where I've pretty much vowed to never, ever buy anything from their site.

Luckily the walk in store is a lot more tasteful Wink

I was also surprised by the ad but then I thought...oh negima well whatever. The only thing I can find redeeming at this point is that 100% sparking is so catchy.
Showsni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's Negima for starters, by the panty shot and steam covered nudity master Ken Akamatsu himself. What do you expect? Seriously. It's not like the title isn't a sexual fanservice pushed show to begin with. I mean it's not like they're advertising for a more serious show with an ad like that.

This OVA, maybe, but the manga's a lot more than just a "sexual fanservice" title. Sure, there's a lot of fanservice, but there's a good story there too. The manga's way better than the anime, so don't disparage the entire franchise...
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Quote:
It's Negima for starters, by the panty shot and steam covered nudity master Ken Akamatsu himself. What do you expect? Seriously. It's not like the title isn't a sexual fanservice pushed show to begin with. I mean it's not like they're advertising for a more serious show with an ad like that.

This OVA, maybe, but the manga's a lot more than just a "sexual fanservice" title. Sure, there's a lot of fanservice, but there's a good story there too. The manga's way better than the anime, so don't disparage the entire franchise...

Psycho said show, not manga. And while I agree with you that the manga is awesome, the level of nudity and fanservice is a major turn-off for many people.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
stopher87 wrote:
Does anyone else think that the Negima!? banner add looks like an advertisement for girls gone wild? It is like, "31 girls and one guy!" I know that the Japanese have different standards but there is a right way and a wrong way to advertise, or do they think that they can only push DVD's with the addition of possible nudity. Although we all know that that does work.

Sex sells and FUNimation knows it, plain and simple.

I'm all for the Negima!? OVAs, but will FUNi EVER release the second TV series, or are they just going to sit on it and let it rot until the license expires?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Sex sells and FUNimation knows it, plain and simple.

What?! I've bought tons of stuff from Funi and I never got any sex out of the deal. Did I forget to send in my coupon?
braves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
I'm all for the Negima!? OVAs, but will FUNi EVER release the second TV series, or are they just going to sit on it and let it rot until the license expires?

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/poXabh-G0l4KzepszQ/browse/item/81602/4/0/0

It's not "season 2", but whatever....

I'm guessing FUNi is naming it that on purpose to confuse buyers of the first series to buy the 2nd one. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
What?! I've bought tons of stuff from Funi and I never got any sex out of the deal. Did I forget to send in my coupon?
Oh, God that cracked me up! Laughing

Seriously though, the OVA is basically just fanservice and funny so really there's not much to go with besides. . . well, fanservice and funny. With the anime adaptions, they focused on the fanservice even more than the manga (which could actually work just as well without it) so really Funimation doesn't exactly have a lot to use to promote the show.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/poXabh-G0l4KzepszQ/browse/item/81602/4/0/0

It's not "season 2", but whatever....

I'm guessing FUNi is naming it that on purpose to confuse buyers of the first series to buy the 2nd one. Razz
I'm going to admit it I actually liked some of season two and as I said before 1000% sparkling is a really cool song IMHO. I thought it was great and I ignored the fan service....until I couldn't anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1