• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Want to watch Macross, but...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlooDrAgOn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Since Code Geass R2 just ended and I'm still craving for that "traditional" mech feeling that the former did not provide me with, I decided I'd check Macross out. But when I checked the ANN page for SDF Macross, I found myself trying to comprehend a giant list of sequels, prequels, movies, and OVAs. Could a fellow ANN-er please supply me with the correct order to watch the series? And if there isn't a structured order, how should I watch the series for it to make the most sense?
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, you can completely skip Macross 7 and you won't miss a thing aside from a few references in Frontier which are either explained in the show or answered with a little research.

Series you should definitely watch (in chonological order):

Macross Zero
SDF Macross(series) OR Macross: Do You Remember Love? (movie)
Macross Plus (OVA)
Macross Frontier

In order they were made:

SDF Macross
Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Macross Plus (OVA)
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I found myself in that same position several weeks ago. I've since watched most of the Macross franchise, so here's my take on the best order to watch the various anime:

Macross Zero - A prequel OVA; awesome CG and art
Super Dimension Fortress Macross - The original series; rather dated art, animation, and social attitudes, since it was made early 80s
SDF Macross: Do You Remember Love? - An alternative version of the original series in movie form; optional, but later series contain some references to it
Macross Plus - An OVA set after the first series, but before the others; optional, but very good CG and music
Macross 7 - Continues the story; 90s animation and art, so better than the first series
Macross Frontier - The latest series; awesome CG and art, very good music; just finished airing, so the subs should be complete by next week

More comments in my anime list (www link ↓). I'll watch the final ep. of Frontier later this week and add a comment for that series then.

ETA: Oh I see Abyn posted as well. I wouldn't consider DYRL an alternative for SDF Macross unless you have very limited time. It leaves out large parts of the story, and I'd say that's the original series' strong point.
Like I said, Plus has good CG and music, but that would be the main reason to incude it. Otherwise its story is not that important (it's only four eps. long anyway).
You could perhaps skip 7, but you'd be missing some references in Frontier, and I think 7 is quite watchable on its own. It isn't the strongest story in the franchise, but neither are there real filler eps. like the original series had one or two of.

Last edited by Kimiko_0 on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
lilmanny286

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
BlooDrAgOn wrote:
Since Code Geass R2 just ended and I'm still craving for that "traditional" mech feeling that the former did not provide me with, I decided I'd check Macross out. But when I checked the ANN page for SDF Macross, I found myself trying to comprehend a giant list of sequels, prequels, movies, and OVAs. Could a fellow ANN-er please supply me with the correct order to watch the series? And if there isn't a structured order, how should I watch the series for it to make the most sense?

i feel the exact same way, but I've never even seen any of the other macross series but people say that frontier is really good so i didn't know if i could watch frontier without having to watch the other stuff because theres like 3 series ova's and movies id have to watch before watching frontier right?
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
lilmanny286 wrote:

i feel the exact same way, but I've never even seen any of the other macross series but people say that frontier is really good so i didn't know if i could watch frontier without having to watch the other stuff because theres like 3 series ova's and movies id have to watch before watching frontier right?

This is a big misconception that must be squashed. Frontier is a pretty self-contained narrative. It gives you all the backstory you need for the series, and then it's peppered with references to previous series and movies for the fans.

I repeat: You do not need to watch the older Macross installments to enjoy Macross Frontier!
lilmanny286

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
aiight sounds good to me, ill get started on that this week, ty Very Happy
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
BlooDrAgOn wrote:

All of the other Macross entries were made with the assumption that the viewer has a good knowledge of what happened in the original Macross. This includes the prequel, Macross Zero. There will be prominent facts and assumptions in the later series for which no adequate explanation (or sometimes explanations at all) will be given. If you don't want to watch over thirty episodes of a later eighties series that does show its age graphically, then watch the movie Do You Remember Love. The animation appears much less dated, and it does hit all the major points of the original, which makes it a nice abridged version if you prefer to jump to the newer and better looking series. However, because it compresses over thirty episodes into two hours, the narration is quite rushed, and you need to pay careful attention to it. After getting the plot of the original Macross, you can proceed to 7, Plus, Zero, or Frontier in any order.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Why not try Gundam after that? There's enough OVAs and series to last you a long time, ever if you disregard SEED or Destiny and all that crap that comes with it.

And more real robots mech would include shows like Armored Trooper VOTOMS and Mobile Police Patlabor. And then there's tons of other good mechs out there like Garasaki and FLAG.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:
I repeat: You do not need to watch the older Macross installments to enjoy Macross Frontier!

Indeed, if you check out the first couple pages of the Macross Frontier thread, you'll notice several of us talking about how we've never seen any previous installments of the series but absolutely love Frontier. Sure, there are references that we don't pick up on or understand, but it hasn't hampered our enjoyment of the series.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
If you do decide to go back and watch the older series (if you like what you find in Frontier) I recomend watch the following series...

Super Dimension Fortress Macross
- Really ahead of its time in terms of muture space opera. A classic that only dates itself with its animation style.

Macross Plus
- One of the best muture dramas of all times IMO. The fact that its Macross based is just gravy, adding great setting styling to an already strong story.

Macross Zero - Prequel to SDF-Macross, but should definitly be watched after watching the original.

Macross Frontier - The current gold standard of action/adventure space opera if I do say so myself. On any side of the Pacific.

(Really in the end, there isn't a whole ton of 'require' viewing. Two full series and two OVAs. Granted only two, SDF-Macross and Macross Plus, are available retail domestically because of legalities concerning the Macross trademark.)

Macross 7 is really really strange, and should be avoided unless you blossom into a Macross fanatic. Even then its questionable, because I love Macross to death, and I just can't penetrate this series. Its internal logic is so skrewy.

Macross II is non-cannonal, so it doesn't matter if you watch it or not.

Macross: Do you Remember Love? is fantastic. It condenses SDF-Macross into a single movie, with fantastic new animation (not a compilation movie, not by a long shot) it changes quite a bit of SDF-Macross's story beyond the basics however, and is not considered canonal either. But its definitly worth watching if you become a Macross fan.

But really, yes, Macross Frontier needs no previous knowledge of Macross to be enjoyed. Its not a direct sequel, just a follow up series, dealing with no characters (directly anyway) from previous series.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
abynormal wrote:

This is a big misconception that must be squashed. Frontier is a pretty self-contained narrative. It gives you all the backstory you need for the series, and then it's peppered with references to previous series and movies for the fans.

Adding to the choir... Bingo. Aside from one episode from a Newtype USA preview disc, I had never seen any of Macross before watching Frontier. There were a few references that went over my head, but the series provides you with everything you need to know to understand and enjoy the story.

Now that I've seen Frontier, I'm looking forward to my Macross box set arriving today or tomorrow.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I love seeing newer fans whose first exposure to Macross is Frontier decide to go on and watch the original series.

The original Macross TV series was my first official anime love, so you can imagine how it makes me feel to see new fans get to enjoy it as much as I did.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:20 pm Reply with quote
you won't be missing anything important by watching Macross Frontier first. a few past reference, that's it really. nothing crucial.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Ah, I love seeing newer fans whose first exposure to Macross is Frontier decide to go on and watch the original series.
That's the way to do it.Watching the old to give meaning to the new.Good to hear.My first anime was Taro the dragonboy in 79.Though next came Macross,in which I became a hardcore fan.80's mech,as well as Cyberpunk had some of the best stuff in anime.Still a big fan Macross today. Very Happy
hyogacisne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Beltane70 wrote:
That's the way to do it.Watching the old to give meaning to the new.Good to hear.My first anime was Taro the dragonboy in 79.Though next came Macross,in which I became a hardcore fan.80's mech,as well as Cyberpunk had some of the best stuff in anime.Still a big fan Macross today. Very Happy

Yes! I watched Macross (Robotech) since I was a child. The best is Superdimesional Fortress. Or the movie "Do you Remember Love?".
But if you want see Mechas and a good history every episode of Macross has a somethig especial. It seems to be inocent and sincere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2