• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looking forward to Fall/Winter 2008.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I know it might be a bit early for some folks to be looking ahead to new shows, but my current favorites are running out and I'm already scoping out the new line up. As always, it pays to hear from ANN folks what might be worth watching out for. So, what upcoming shows are on your radar? Have you heard good buzz on anything on the horizon?

Just based on the ANN descriptions and no "real" data, I'm interested in checking out the following:

Mōryō no Hako -"ANN Plot Summary: The story follows a series of bizzare murders of schoolgirls who have been dismembered and stuffed into boxes. The private investigator hired by a missing daughters mother joins forces with an antique book seller and others to unravel the murder spree."

I'm hoping this might turn out to be a satisfying murder mystery with some seriously dark undertones. It sounds promising.

Ga-Rei -Zero
- "ANN Plot Summary: Freshman Nimura Kensuke has the ability to see ghosts, and his life changes when he meets Kagura, a girl with the power to summon a "Ga-Rei" called Byakuei. The two work together to find evil spirita and devour them with the Ga-Rei."

I'm always watching for new supernatural themed shows. Looks like this one might be a contender.

Kurozuka - "ANN Plot Summary: Kuro, a 12th-century man, flees into the mountains after losing to his brother, where he meets a strange, beautiful woman named Kuromitsu. Kuro falls in love with Kuromitsu but realizes she conceals a dark secret. She is unable to die and continues to live for thousands of years as Japan evolves into a future society."

The artwork looks luscious on the screen shot. That's about all I have to go on with this one. I can only hope the writing lives up to the design.

Also, we have some continuing series: Vampire Knight Guilty and Ef: A Tale of Melodies that I'll be watching without fail.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:
Ga-Rei -Zero - "ANN Plot Summary: Freshman Nimura Kensuke has the ability to see ghosts, and his life changes when he meets Kagura, a girl with the power to summon a "Ga-Rei" called Byakuei. The two work together to find evil spirita and devour them with the Ga-Rei."

I'm always watching for new supernatural themed shows. Looks like this one might be a contender.

Anyone else thinks that it sounds eerily similar to Bleach?
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Well, you're right about that. It certainly does, but really how many shows out there aren't highly derivative these days? Most genres begin from a startlingly similar base plot. I figure the difference is how well they build on that foundation. It could have the same type of premise but a totally different atmosphere.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I like Bleach a lot, but I hate how shounen series get so drudgingly long. I'll admit the Bount arc was good for filler, but any anime that goes over the 100 episode mark for a single series automatically gets a notch off its rating from me.

Both Naruto and Bleach went from Excellent to Very Good, despite how much I enjoy them. However, Shippuuden's animation is crap, and I'm not a big fan of the sporadic filler I was seeing in Bleach before I stopped watching it (around 130-135 is where I stopped). I'd much rather wait a few months to a couple of years between series if it means getting filler-free content.

Now, looking at the Encyc. entry for Ga-rei, I hardly recognize any of these names or companies aside from the apparent female protagonist being played by the Japanese Saya of Blood+. There also doesn't seem to be a lot of manga corresponding to the anime, so it looks like this could be either another long shounen series.
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Searching for a practical way to sift through upcoming titles I remembered this link, but it seems outdated seeing that none of the three shows mentioned by Ishmoo are included. Therefore, this one should be better.

This year I'm only looking forward to the Lucky Star OAV after being disappointed by Kaiba and Birdy the Mighty Decode. 2008 is turning out to be rather stale. R2 seems to be only blockbuster this year among TV series.

Last edited by rti9 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:49 am; edited 2 times in total
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Ishmoo wrote:

Mōryō no Hako -"ANN Plot Summary: The story follows a series of bizzare murders of schoolgirls who have been dismembered and stuffed into boxes. The private investigator hired by a missing daughters mother joins forces with an antique book seller and others to unravel the murder spree."

Well the write-up sounds right up my alley Very Happy But I've never really tried following currently airing anime programs since fansubs have become less enjoyable as I watch more and more R1 stuff. I'll definitely check out the first episode or two, so if it's good hopefully it will make it's way over to R1 land. Seems like something that has a chance.

Interested in Ef as well, but I haven't seen any of the first season yet for the same reason Confused
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Let's see here, we got ef - a tale a melodies! First ef series utterly suckered punched everyone with director Shin Oonuma and SHAFT bringing one of the most stylished yet carefully crafted romantic drama ever made. So this second series has quite of bit of expectations to live up to. Of course I heard from the other game players that Mizuki's storyline is surprisingly more dramatic than the first set of characters, and I have a good feeling they'll live up to it.

Then there's Clannad After Story in which the real meat of story begins with the spoiler[expansion of Tomoya's and Nagisa's relationship. And from what I heard it may include and deal with their married lives. I can't think of many romantic bishoujo series that actually deals with that!]

And there are a few other series i want to check out like that upcoming new Gaianx series and maybe Tales of the Abyss (that one may get a proper anime adaptation considering Bandai Visual and Sunrise are involved).
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
rt19 -The second link is the one I tend to use but I like the first one you mentioned. It lays the new shows out nicely and has pictures so you can get some gist of the art style. Its better to be able to sift through and easily discard the ones for young children or that have a design I don't care for. I hadn't known it was there so thanks for pointing it out. Some of the titles I mentioned are still a long way off so probably didn't make it onto the list for that reason.

darkchibi07 wrote:

And there are a few other series i want to check out like that upcoming new Gaianx series and maybe Tales of the Abyss (that one may get a proper anime adaptation considering Bandai Visual and Sunrise are involved).

Tales of the Abyss was one that I had my eye on as well but forgot to mention. Its been a long long time since I've watched an adventure series so I might be ready for a new one if it lives up to expectations.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
There are many upcoming anime I'm excited about, though it seems I don't have as much time as I did last year as far as watching anime goes, so we'll see how many end up on my "currently watching" list. That list still has over ten series from way back in the spring, and also Texhnolyze, all of which I'm no where near caught up with (except Itazura na Kiss). Let's just say that I'm looking forward to Fall Break.

My top two "definites" are:

To Aru Majutsu no Index, a.k.a. "A Certain Magical Index." It's an adaption of a series of light novels, and also has been made into a manga with at least one full volume release. From what I've read of the manga so far, I can tell that it's going to be a very good anime.

Plot Summary wrote:
In a world where science clarifies supernatural powers. In a huge college that has power development in is curriculum. To a resident high school student, Kamijou Touma, a pure white sister appears. She calls herself "Index" and says that sorcerers are chasing her. Thus, Kamijou Touma enters the world of the occult.

Yeah... so anyway. Here's the official trailer, which has awesome music courtesy of I've Sound. <3

and

Yozakura Quartet, an original manga by one of my favorite illustrators, Suzuhito Yasuda. It's not too strong in the story/pacing department, but who knows how the anime adaption will handle that? The slice-of-life factor is the best part about the series, and is one of the main reasons I'm reading the manga besides the amazing art style and interesting characters.

Plot Summary wrote:
The story revolves around a quartet of teenaged heroes: A super-strong girl named Hime, a mind reader named Ao, a conjurer named Kotoha and an ordinary, powerless boy named Akina. The three girls and Akina protect the city of Sakurashin from supernatural threads.

Others...

Michiko to Hatchin from manglobe. Looks smashing.

And of course I'm going to continue watching Clannad and its "After Story," and also ef – a tale of melodies. because the first season was so great. (That was also my first experience with SHAFT.)

Ishmoo wrote:
Mōryō no Hako ...

I'm hoping this might turn out to be a satisfying murder mystery with some seriously dark undertones. It sounds promising.

Agreed, though at first I was scared that CLAMP was doing the character designs. I didn't want that amazing manga cover to turn into something like Code Geass. But from what I saw on the main site, I think the characters still looks pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Besides ef: a tale of melodies and Clannad After Story which darkchibi07 covered, I am also looking forward to Nodame Cantabile: Paris. The first series got my attention for its heavy focus on music and the detailed animated scenes of classical musical instruments being played. The artwork looked like it was in the same style as Honey and Clover and I did like the character chemistry between Chiaki and Nodame. So, I'm look forward to how this sequel turns out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
Michiko to Hatchin from manglobe. Looks smashing.

Seconded!

Looks like it'll have more of a Samurai Champloo vibe rather than Ergo Pretentious, so I think it'll suit my tastes.

Also ... Shugo Chara Doki~! will fulfill all my magical girl needs. Laughing Maybe they'll finally spoiler[go after the Embryo for real this time around. Or we might get stuck with more filler, although if that's the case why bother having a second season at all.]
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:58 pm Reply with quote
You know I'm going to be watching ef! Hurray for backstory on the supporting characters. Smile
I'll also be watching Clannad for sure as well. Other than that, I don't recall anything that particularly grabbed me. I might look into Kemeko DX, the one with the girl who wears a mecha that looks like a fat girl. That's starting this fall, right?
jetz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:04 am Reply with quote
I haven't been watching anime [as much as before] lately so I didn't know there was going to be an ef sequel. Good thing I decided to check this thread. I've been wondering about what was up with that girl and Himura from the original series.

I'm also definitely watching other sequels/continuations, such as Clannad, Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae, Junjou Romantica, Vampire Knight and Nodame Cantabile : Paris Chapter so I guess I'll be coming out from my anime hiatus soon Anime smile
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I might look into Kemeko DX, the one with the girl who wears a mecha that looks like a fat girl. That's starting this fall, right?

Yeah. I don't know much about it, but if the series turns out anything like Kyouran Kazoku Nikki then I'm all for watching it, too.

Kuroshitsuji and Hyakko are two others that could potentially be good. The former is more of a comedy than one might think by looking at the encyclopedia pic, and the latter I'm sure will get plenty of viewers just because Aya Hirano is singing the ending theme.
Aoi Yuki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I loves the Kurozuka manga so I am really looking forward to the anime adaptation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3