• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Code Geass R2 Anime Sequel to Run on Adult Swim in U.S.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:49 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Williams Street makes it a point to avoid shows crossing over between Toonami and Adult Swim (especially after the Yu Yu Hakusho fiasco) so there's no confusion that there are different target demographics.

Just curious, but what do you mean by "the Yu Yu Hakusho fiasco"? IIRC, it aired on [adult swim] before it aired on the weekday Toonami timeslot. Worst part is that they moved it to Toonami right in time for the arc with some of the weirdest monsters, and the most violence in the series. If that's what you mean, then yeah, they wouldn't take back a show that has been massacred by censors, just to show it uncensored (which they didn't even do with the first 25 eps), when we can buy the DVDs (which I gladly did).
KAtchan15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Can someone say pure awesomeness? Very Happy
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Williams Street makes it a point to avoid shows crossing over between Toonami and Adult Swim (especially after the Yu Yu Hakusho fiasco) so there's no confusion that there are different target demographics.

Just curious, but what do you mean by "the Yu Yu Hakusho fiasco"? IIRC, it aired on [adult swim] before it aired on the weekday Toonami timeslot. Worst part is that they moved it to Toonami right in time for the arc with some of the weirdest monsters, and the most violence in the series. If that's what you mean, then yeah, they wouldn't take back a show that has been massacred by censors, just to show it uncensored (which they didn't even do with the first 25 eps), when we can buy the DVDs (which I gladly did).

I think that the Yu Yu Hakusho fiasco enurtsol was talking about was the hack job it got after airiing on toonami. I'm really curious why people are so negitive about R2 so I want to see it (I haven't watched any yet.)
This is a bit off topic but I wonder if adult swim will get naruto shippuden.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:03 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
teh*darkness wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I think that the Yu Yu Hakusho fiasco enurtsol was talking about was the hack job it got after airiing on toonami. I'm really curious why people are so negitive about R2 so I want to see it (I haven't watched any yet.)

Is shippuden really that much of an upgrade in the violence?

I'm sure there will be minor blood edits and dialogue for Toonami and then the uncut boxsets for DVD just like there was with Naruto...

AS already has bleach, the last thing they need to add is ANOTHER anime to overpower the saturday night line up and ruin the ratings of the stuff they're most likely paying more for... I mean unless someone has stats and contract info, I'm pretty certain AS had to pay more for Code Geass Season 1 and 2 than Bleach and the continous airing of that show.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

Is shippuden really that much of an upgrade in the violence?

I'm sure there will be minor blood edits and dialogue for Toonami and then the uncut boxsets for DVD just like there was with Naruto...

No there really isn't much of a violence upgrade at all, from what's been translated to the anime so far there should be no reason Naruto would ever leave toonami. The most violent parts of the second part of the manga have yet to be put into the anime and even then I'm sure that stuff we'll be censored enough for the original Japanese viewing that there won't be much more to censor out when CN get's its hands on it.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
The whole trainwreck thing is just something that started after the extremely poor Gundam Seed Destiny. Now some people go around shouting in every corner of the internet possible how every Sunrise made series is a "trainwreck" pretty much before they even get going (it doesn't matter if it's actually entirely easy to follow or straightforward, you'll hear it anyway) and then just keep it up right unti it ends and then move on to the next Sunrise series after ruining as much peoples fun and ability to discuss and make their own impression of the show as possible. I'd swear it's mostly trolls with a lot of time on their hands by this point though. It's just that forced.....and did I mention loud if that's possible on the internet?

Anyway interesting news. Too bad I don't live in the U.S though to see how it turns out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I think that the Yu Yu Hakusho fiasco enurtsol was talking about was the hack job it got after airiing on toonami.

Not the hack job, but the moving across platforms targeting two wholly separate demographics (ages 18-34 vs ages 9-13). How can they promote a show to one demographic, then promote it to a completely different demographic? You can't sell ads in such manner; the viewing audience and ad sponsors wouldn't know what to think. Due to that fiasco, Williams Street has vowed never to do that again.

Never. Due to what I just mentioned above, there won't be any more shows crossing over between Toonami and Adult Swim.
(Naruto and Shippuden are technically still the same show, just a continuation.)
No conspiracy; just business.
nnudmac

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
hey quick question do any of you no how to get people to draw manga for ur own manga?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
nnudmac wrote:
hey quick question do any of you no how to get people to draw manga for ur own manga?

Yeah, you put out a classified ad, then you pay them. Laughing
Chaos42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:08 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

well i don't have a problem with it though i think that some of the stuff isn't perfect my friends and people i hang around with said a few things like its just repeating the first season-though i think thats a omash or what ever. they also complain that its not as good and they have a point some of its not as good but season 1 was in my view brilliant its hard to top and it even had some slow or weak points. However i think that my friend Nick said it best and i will write his exact words spoiler[Its like this series is all about new mechs and fanservice. they introduce a new mech every episode and did we realy need to see the camel toe on C.C.] though he clamed down after they got to 12 so i think it will depend heavy of fans so i think showing them back to back is a good thing. Also yu yu hakusho just ticked me off after a while with all the editing i had to go rent the unsensored ones at the store-plus they never FINISHED THE SERIES- things that are NOT FINISHED are one of the few things that tick me off. Its like blue dragon rave and a few other series they never finished showing. IF they are going to start something they should see it through to the end.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:17 am Reply with quote
Chaos42 wrote:

Also yu yu hakusho just ticked me off after a while with all the editing i had to go rent the unsensored ones at the store-plus they never FINISHED THE SERIES- things that are NOT FINISHED are one of the few things that tick me off.

CN did finish the rest of Yu Yu Hakusho.......... at the 5:30 AM timeslot though.

Chaos42 wrote:

Its like blue dragon rave and a few other series they never finished showing. IF they are going to start something they should see it through to the end.

Obviously that's not good business sense. What if nobody is watching? Viewers vote with their ratings, just like consumers vote with their dollars.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:47 pm Reply with quote
i was kinda wondering what would be the result for R2. At least i got no worries about it.I just hope they keep the original VA from the first series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
i was kinda wondering what would be the result for R2. At least i got no worries about it.I just hope they keep the original VA from the first series.

Why wouldn't they keep the original VAs? It'd make no sense to just randomly dump the entire cast(despite what the dub haters may say). Currently Adult Swim's schedule shows Code Geass running with premieres straight on until the end of the year, which means R2 is most definitely running immediately after LotR ends.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LKK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
which means R2 is most definitely running immediately after LotR ends.

*blinks* Wha? Oh. Laughing Lelouch of the Rebellion is not what I normally think of when I see the acronym LotR.*

*LotR means Lord of the Rings to me.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:18 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
which means R2 is most definitely running immediately after LotR ends.

*blinks* Wha? Oh. Laughing Lelouch of the Rebellion is not what I normally think of when I see the acronym LotR.*

*LotR means Lord of the Rings to me.

Season 1 isn't officially labeled R1(that I know of), so I was just abbreviating "Lelouch of the Rebellion". Just habit, even if it would be fun to see Lelouch of the Rings(and he is a bit of a Lord of the Rebellion).

Either way, looks like R2's airing immediately after CG:LotR ends. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4