• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shuffle! DVD 4

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Houlgrave

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Shuffle! only did one thing interesting, and that was Asa. Everything else however, as expected of an h-game/eroge adaption, is simply worthless.

It's not this particular show's fault or anything, but it's just a problem of adaptions like this in general. A normal viewer would normally want to bash Rin's stupid brains out for not banging the..oh idk...six-seven girls who in one way or another set themselves up for sexual activity. In the game you can screw them, in the anime nothing happens at all. Where's the fun in it? To waste 30 minutes times 24 on this when you could get some hentai....I just can't understand it.

Conclusion: It's nice to see a reviewer who thinks with his brain and not his dick. GG
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
I just like to hear some positives out of all the negativies.

And if they don't exist, then what?

Shuffle has no positives. It is entirely without redeeming features; its plot is trite, its execution ham-fisted and ponderous.

It has no drama because it has no tension; everything is explained, everything is set out up-front, and then twice more in case you missed it.

It has no character development because it has no characters; what you think is a character is a mere cipher, lacking agency and will.

it has no comedy because comedy is the clash of expectation and outcome and is thus inherently dependant on unpredictability; shuffle is as unpredictable as a dropped brick.

It has no merit; it's not even average. Even an average show has some point of charm or inspiration; Air is rubbish, but at least the narrative structure was interesting. But Shuffle? Nothing there. Every aspect of it, every point every possibility, is sub-standard.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:11 am Reply with quote
actually the review mentions some positive points (the music, Nerine's flashback...). But if that's all the reviewer can find, then that's all.
The review certainly doesn't seem like a simple bashing (for example compared to the recent Honey & Clover review), and of course it is subjective, but the author explains why he doesn't like what he saw, and he does that without getting insulting or anything. Others will disagree, that's normal. But adding the other Shuffle reviews I read, I'm pretty sure that this series is not for me and I'm happy I dropped it after one episode. Thanks for saving me some time ^^
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:11 am Reply with quote
When the 1st DVD review popped up, Shuffle! fans were saying "it gets better, you can't scrutinize it on these episodes! Don't bash it yet!" etc. And now that those same fans are seeing that the reviewers don't agree with those claims they're saying "you came into it with a bias! You're not being fair!" Rolling Eyes Poor reviewers just can't seem to win...
Plus, "it gets better" was the #1 defense for this series. I mean, even one of the ANN big-wigs posted in the talkbalk of the vol1 review of how he's heard it so much that he'll continue to watch it despite of the negative review. Therefore, saying "it does everything except get better" is warranted; he's saying "don't be fooled by the hype."
Anyways, that's all I will say about that...

Carlo Santos wrote:
After the dramatic highs and lows of just one episode ago, it should've been easy to carry that emotional momentum, but instead we get everyone whining "Why couldn't I do anything to help Primula" for 20 minutes. Of course, this probably would have been more convincing if the series had done anything to make us care about Primula as a character; most will probably only remember as "the little one."

This is precisely what I was thinking at the end of the 3rd volume. Primula was the least interesting character of this series and moving her from "the kid" to a key plot device just did not work. I was actually further deterred from this series when spoiler[they brought her back into the fold.]

And seriously, that scene in the last ep of the vol where spoiler[Sia has the argument with other personality] came off as so friggin' comical that it was the 1st time this series has ever made me laugh. I have been watching this series strictly dubbed since I can enjoy sappy series' if I can give them minimal concentration, and I thought "maybe it was just Brittney Karbowski's performance" (although her performance as Ayu in Kanon is seeking to prove me wrong, I feel that she is a better comedic VA than anything else), but when I played that same scene in Japanese it was just as laughable.

Honestly though, I'll still at least watch the 5th vol due to Shelf Life's description of "murderous harem-girls." This claim has me thinking that this series might actually start getting me to laugh!
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:43 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
driverstart wrote:

Shuffle has no positives. It is entirely without redeeming features; its plot is trite, its execution ham-fisted and ponderous.

It has no drama because it has no tension; everything is explained, everything is set out up-front, and then twice more in case you missed it.

It has no character development because it has no characters; what you think is a character is a mere cipher, lacking agency and will.

it has no comedy because comedy is the clash of expectation and outcome and is thus inherently dependant on unpredictability; shuffle is as unpredictable as a dropped brick.

It has no merit; it's not even average. Even an average show has some point of charm or inspiration; Air is rubbish, but at least the narrative structure was interesting. But Shuffle? Nothing there. Every aspect of it, every point every possibility, is sub-standard.

Well I always find a positive out of something negative. Also, the way you just described Shuffle is the excat same way I would describe Dragon Ball. I just don't get that series, but I respect it since it is a classic and it has a large fan base.
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
Well I always find a positive out of something negative. Also, the way you just described Shuffle is the excat same way I would describe Dragon Ball. I just don't get that series, but I respect it since it is a classic and it has a large fan base.

Instantly, things that come to my mind about the original Dragon Ball (Not Z) are the fights and the sometimes funny, sometimes quirky characters.
I hope this doesn't get off topic because of Dragon Ball, but still nobody mentioned what actually was good about Shuffle! So I guess Dragon Ball wins Wink
Miitan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
driverstart wrote:

Is dat sum trollin'?
igriega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Miitan wrote:
Is dat sum trollin'?

Laughing

I just see that as "calling it as he sees it," albeit a very angry and frustrated way of seeing things. Talk about being harsh. Laughing

But I disagree that there is NOTHING redeeming about the show. What about that flashback scene with the spoiler[teleporting knife that cut Rin's (eye? eyelid? face?)]? It didn't make a lick of sense, but it was still awesome. Wink

As for the comment about Sia's "problem," I actually thought that part of the series was one of the better parts of show because it had potential to be quite dark and dramatic. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out quite the way I had hoped.
loka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

...The other four in that Top 5 [...] Witchblade (unsurprisingly) ...

I'm surprised Witchblade is selling that well. Then again, they certainly seemed to overcompensate in its advertising campaign. I'm not the biggest moe/harem fan, but I'd take 10 more of that genre than any more witchblade-esque crap.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
Buster Blader 126 wrote:

...The other four in that Top 5 [...] Witchblade (unsurprisingly) ...

I'm surprised Witchblade is selling that well. Then again, they certainly seemed to overcompensate in its advertising campaign. I'm not the biggest moe/harem fan, but I'd take 10 more of that genre than any more witchblade-esque crap.

And I in turn would sit through ten Witchblades rather than lay my eyes on a single harem-fest. In other words, different strokes for different folks. Razz
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:08 am Reply with quote
halo wrote:
So what parts of his review didn't have some critical merit? I don't see anyone here offering anything in the way of a real dispute of any of the points he made. Was he wrong about the poor pacing of the disc? Was he wrong about some of the animation issues such as badly drawn characters or wasting scenes by just using cheap effect animation?

If you like it then watch it and ignore what other people say; don't make the reviewer out or be close minded or an elitist just because he's pointing out obvious flaws in a show.

i think the characters are drawn very well and plus it looks good in high definition
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
driverstart wrote:

this tells me you haven't watched it because with Shuffle the whole first half of the series is nothing but comedy. the character development has to do with how they were in the past when they met Rin and now in the present time. yes everything is explained but that doesnt stop the drama spoiler[like when Kaede goes insane when she was a kid and now in the present when she was telling Asa to get out of her house and then Rin telling her that he wants to leave her house for good and then she gets upset.] and air rubbish? Air is anything but rubbish
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Houlgrave wrote:
Shuffle! only did one thing interesting, and that was Asa. Everything else however, as expected of an h-game/eroge adaption, is simply worthless.

It's not this particular show's fault or anything, but it's just a problem of adaptions like this in general. A normal viewer would normally want to bash Rin's stupid brains out for not banging the..oh idk...six-seven girls who in one way or another set themselves up for sexual activity. In the game you can screw them, in the anime nothing happens at all. Where's the fun in it? To waste 30 minutes times 24 on this when you could get some hentai....I just can't understand it.

Conclusion: It's nice to see a reviewer who thinks with his brain and not his dick. GG

when i watch shuffle i dont think of it being based off of a hentai game and then a PS2 game that wasnt hentai and also i dont watch it just because it has panties, bras, and naked boobs with a couple of them have huge breasts i just watch it because its anime and it has an enjoyable storyline with some likable characters plus i like the comedy and drama
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 am Reply with quote
Get over it Shuffle! fans, the Shuffle haters have won the war! Twisted Evil MUAHAHAHAHA! Twisted Evil

Or actually, maybe not since it's selling good and all (how did even became possible?).
driverstart

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
Get over it Shuffle! fans, the Shuffle haters have won the war! Twisted Evil MUAHAHAHAHA! Twisted Evil

Or actually, maybe not since it's selling good and all (how did even became possible?).

The war never ends until every fan admits defeat and every single person who reviews anime says the show is junk. Since there a couple of websites and other reviews that said show is good and a a big fan base, the war will go on until we move on and find some other anime or manga to argue about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3