• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Any manga recommendations for a "newcomer"?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenshin_Himura93

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Hello. I apologize if this type of thread is not allowed. In which case, if it is, just lock the thread and you guys can just PM me answers.

I am looking for a new manga to get into. If it helps, i am interested in Bleach, Rurouni Kenshin (most of all), D. N. Angel, and Death Note.

Here are my guidelines:
No yaoi/yuri content
Very little to no nudity
Preferably not mecha
No really "dark" concepts (Death Note is an example as of how bad it can get)
Preferably 8-15 volumes
And preferably has an anime as well
Violence and language are for the most part ok as long as they are not extreme.

I understand that my criteria are rather hard to work with. However, I know that there are some out there that meet these guidelines. (I just have to find it/them yet. Crying or Very sad )

*NOTE: all of the criteria labeled with a "Preferably' in it does not necessarily have to be included in the manga. As long as it is really good. For example, it can contain more than 15 volumes, be mecha, etc... However, no Yaoi and Yuri is a definite "no".

I really appreciate anyone who is willing to help me. (Even though I am a newcomer)
-Thank you Anime smile
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:47 am Reply with quote
Very little to no nudity? No really "dark" concepts? Death Note is the worst it gets? Violence and language not extreme?

Well, there goes most of the manga I like and would reccomend. Razz
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
Chocotto Sister
Inumimi
Naisho no Tsubomi
Yotsuba&
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:46 am Reply with quote
Yotsuba&!
(But beware of the cardboard robot and Yotsuba going on a killingspree with a watergun Razz)

Nodame Cantabile
(Well, one of the characters is gay, but that's about it... Oh, but it is a pretty long series)

Mushishi
(Or is this considered "dark"?)

Eyeshield 21
(Good shounen series about American football)

Yakitate! Japan
(It's about bread, how bad can that be? However, I'm sure it has passed the 15-volume-mark by now.)

Maison Ikkoku
(15 volumes and it doesn't reach the fanservice levels of your avarage Rumiko Takahashi/romantic comedy manga)

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
(You don't object to Nausicaä, do you?)

Gon
(Awesome manga about a dinosaur and his animal friends. Sersiously, this is good stuff! Read it!)
Pinkwings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
Kare Kano- 21 volumes- no nudity or yaoi or yuri-theres idolization and a little of girls spoiling cute girls but thats different.

Its about the relationship between a smart boy and a girl and how they grow and change. Its way more interesting then I make it sound and it has alot of likeable characters. I usually hate manga with lots of characters but this one handled it well and made them very likeable. Its also not too mushy for a series with romance.

Its a slice of life shoujo but its not that girly. I'm assuming your a guy- and I think even guys will like this one. Anyone feel free to back me up on this or disagree. I found the first 4 volumes kinda boring but it gets good after that. Kare Kano also has a anime but it doesnt end the way the manga ends. Its like unfinished.

Bitter Virgin is good. I think its around 4 volumes..? Someone correct me on that. Its about a girl who was raped and a boy who discovers her secret. It deals with lots of dark themes but so far it hasn't shown anything I would call graphic. I think its seinen. There is no anime for this one.

Midori Days is another good one. I didn't read the manga-only a bit. But I saw the anime and loved it. Its about a guy who is considered tough and scary and all he wants is a girlfriend and a normal life. One day he wakes up and his hand is turned into a girl. Its weird but funny. Doesnt really have alot of nudity but some boobs are shown. Dunno how that works out in the manga. Its shounen and 8 volumes long I think. It has a anime.
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:37 am Reply with quote
The first 2 translated manga that I ever read was

Mai, the Psychic Girl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mai%2C_the_Psychic_Girl

Grey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_%28manga%29

Both were published by Viz back in the late 80's.

I highly recommend them to anyone who would love to read a few good stories.

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
Kenshin_Himura93

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Very little to no nudity? No really "dark" concepts? Death Note is the worst it gets? Violence and language not extreme?

Well, there goes most of the manga I like and would reccomend. Razz

Well, just post them anyways. I just wanted most (all) ofmy answers to be serious. Just tell me in what ways each of them breaks my guidelines.

THANK YOU ALL! please, KEEP EM' COMIN' Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Heh. Sorry for kinda being a dick. The first titles I thought of were pretty dark, violent or full of nudity. Still I figured I'd give the thread a bump.

Actually one of them might be borderline. Battle Angel Alita. It can get violent, but maybe not too bad. Similar to Kenshin it's about fighting styles and combat. Except this is in a post apocalyptic cyberpunk future full of cyborgs. So if you don't mind seeing cyborgs ripped apart, that might go well along side Kenshin. There's 9 volumes, but also a spinoff alternate ending that is ongoing.

I'll also definitely second Yotsuba. Never got into the Asumanga Daioh buzz, but I love this book. Gon is also pretty amazing. What little I've read of Nodame Cantabile is very good too.
Kenshin_Himura93

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:25 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Heh. Sorry for kinda being a dick. The first titles I thought of were pretty dark, violent or full of nudity. Still I figured I'd give the thread a bump.

Actually one of them might be borderline. Battle Angel Alita. It can get violent, but maybe not too bad. Similar to Kenshin it's about fighting styles and combat. Except this is in a post apocalyptic cyberpunk future full of cyborgs. So if you don't mind seeing cyborgs ripped apart, that might go well along side Kenshin. There's 9 volumes, but also a spinoff alternate ending that is ongoing.

I'll also definitely second Yotsuba. Never got into the Asumanga Daioh buzz, but I love this book. Gon is also pretty amazing. What little I've read of Nodame Cantabile is very good too.

Thank you. There is no need to say sorry. It is completelly cool. Anime smile

Also, i forgot to mention, i am only 14, and money is not exactly overflowing for me right now. So it is preferred that the manga be $7.99 a pop. Or even $9.99 if the series is short, REALLY good, or both.

Thanks everyone. Any other ideas?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I will wholeheartedly second Yotsuba&! and Gon. Great manga that's universal and for all ages. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind is a winner, too, although some of the volumes are currently out-of-print.

Kenshin_Himura93 wrote:
Any other ideas?

Viz is releaseing Inio Asano's Solanin in October. It's one of the best manga I've ever read. It's mature without being adult (i.e. sex and violence). Incredible art married to realistic storytelling and characters. At $17.99 for an oversized book that comes with color pages, it's an absolute steal. Look out for it.

Tekkon Kinkreet was re-released by Viz last year in the same format as Solanin, though flopped (shouldn't be an issue, though, since the translation and paper quality is better than 99% of the manga available in English). Heavily allegorical story that, at its core, is an emotional tale of harmony and love between two orphans that must survive in and protect their city.

Emma and Vagabond are two very excellent historical seinen manga. There's a bit of nudity in Emma and non-detailed sex in Vagabond, but both are presented matter-of-factly rather than to purely tiltilate.

Despite it's weighty subject, Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms isn't overtly emotional or dark. However, I can say that it is easily the best manga released in English from last year. It certainly deserves it's current ranking at #9 here on ANN.

Planetes is one of the rare, few manga worth looking into that Tokyopop licensed. Very humoristic yet human story set in space, carried along my a story that doesn't veer into melodrama. Very laidback and personal.

Sexy Voice and Robo is also in the same format as Solanin and Tekkon Kinkreet. Episodic and artistically-driven, the stories range from complete fun to the introspective.

Hope that the above interest you!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Are you looking for comedy, action, romance, drama, or what?

I'm with HellKorn on recomending Emma; it's an excellent period romance story and it meets all your criteria.

Cromartie High School is a pretty good comedy. A little wierd, but if you enjoy quirky slice-of-life school-setting dialougue-based comedies, it's worth a look. It's longer than your requested range, but you could just stop at volume 15 and it wouldn't matter (as there's no ongoing plot except for maybe that one self-contained volume).
Watashi wa Ryuzaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Monster is quite amazing. I've just finshed it, and I highly reccomend it. Barely any nudity, some violence, and somewhat of a dark concept. If you can get past all that; then your looking at one hell of a read.
robotaholic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so I see you're looking for something 'lighter', I dig my manga rack for you ;D:

+Anima (10 volumes) - Adventure

A very nice manga with tidy art and lovable characters, very light on violence and the story itself is very heart-lighted and relaxing.

Dragon Voice (12 volumes? if I'm not mistaken) - Show biz
It's a manga about boybands, don't get turned off by that premise just yet Anime hyper! It's a pretty entertaining manga about the show-biz with a hot-blooded teen named Rin as the main character, he has a dream to be a singer but his bad voice is not helping him at all. A great and light manga to read, plus Yuriko Nishiyama's artwork are simply awesome!

Gunslinger Girl (it's up to vol 8/9 now) - action

Cute girls, cool guns, awesome art. No question asked! Some nudity but it's still in the safe zone IMO.

Fight no Akatsuki (7 volumes) - Sport

A basketball manga without SUPERPOWER!? HOW COULD IT BE? It's not a popular title but Fight no Akatsuki is one of the manga that you can't stop once you read it. The art is pretty sweet and clean, not that special, but it has a great story (albeit it's a lil bit cheesy)

Shin Chuka Ichiban (12 volumes) - Cooking/Adventure/Epic drolling

Shonen manga about how to cook a real chinese cuisine that can make you droll. It's about an adventure of young cook named Mao who fight against some dark organization with his l33t cooking ability.

Honey and Clover (10 volumes? idk I forgot) - Romance/Comedy/Drama

Well, this manga is gooooodddd methinks. Yeah it's a josei manga but I believe you can learn lots of things from this manga, the pretty art is also a plus. But the anime is better IMO because the great music delivers the mood better.
MisterEd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
How do you like slice of life? There are a lot of manga under this genre that meet your criteria. You might also be looking for some short Shonen Jump series, as they're ussually $7.95

Azumanga Daioh- Comedy, Slice of Life
This is one of my favorite series, and it was just released in ominbus format that packs 4 volumes into one. I think it's only like $20.

Buso Renkin/Gun Blaze West- Action, Adventure Both by Nobuhiro Watsuki, of Kenshin fame, and are relatively short. They're both also $7.99.
Kenshin_Himura93

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Gunslinger Girl (it's up to vol 8/9 now) - action[/i]
Cute girls, cool guns, awesome art. No question asked! Some nudity but it's still in the safe zone IMO.
[i]

I really do not want to sound like a perv... but what type of nudity is there in it that would still be "in the safe zone"?

So far, this sounds like the best one to me so far. (In 2nd to Monster)

Also, for whoever asked, i prefer:
Shonen
Action
Adventure
Comedy
and maybe a romance one as long as romance is not the CENTER of the story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5