• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nico Nico Douga to Delete Videos with Derived Content

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Warstar77 wrote:
Nico Nico Douga will still have... mad videos

Obviously, you did not read the same article the rest of us read. The entire reason people are complaining is BECAUSE the MAD videos are being taken down.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
SinsI wrote:
What next? Comiket raids and arrest of all doujinshi artists?
One of the most idiotic moves I've ever seen, they are directly destroying their own sales with this and gain absolutely nothing in return.

Agreed, this is a bit to over the top, there just grasping at what they can, and should be working to make better anime rather than tracking down fans.

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Warstar77

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime hyper and but still fans want anime and but its not fair that its new anime is broadcast in japan and they are watching and while rest of the anime fans around the world in the dark and we cant watch it and if they got message to the companies to post it online so anime fans can watch it and not download it and i think anime fans want to watch new anime airing in japan and want it post online at youtube and other website that are airing on japan so and but it to be for a while and not fever and we fans also have to buy them so the company can me money and who nows the companies may open site where people can order dvd from anime companies in japan and but we must convice companies movie and anime movie and cartoon companies to put them in a online vault and so the companies and companies like universal studios got burned and lost everything including movie like back to the future and ET and if they post the companyies make online vault with unkown web sever the vidoes will be saved and dont want the anime comapanies and companyies who make shows dont loose them. i dont want them getting burned like universal studios did and do to the weather and earthquake and bad bad weather and its better for them to do it online and to make it there for centuries to come untill then and so i would be good.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, if it deletes some of the really awfully bad AMV's out there then I support it.

BUT, what the companies should do is add content, like segment clips, OP/ED Song clips, that sort of thing. Replace bad content with good content.
vincent iii

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I was going to think that this would be an attack inspired by the MPAA and the American Media Corporations, but I was shocked when I looked at the list of the anime studios involved in this. I can't really see why some of the companies are doing this. Especially Gonzo who has posted stuff onto online websites like CrunchyRoll. I agree that full movies and episodes should be banned from NicoNico unless the original company puts it up, but taking down fan videos? That's just retarded. Is this saying that videos like "Over9000" and "Jumping Over White Base" are illegal too because they use second long clips from shows? I don't see how fan videos hurt anyone at all. Its not like I'm not going to buy the series because I was able to see Gundam footage synced to GaoGaiGar audio. If anything it might show off Anime that I see in a split second and make me look into it (like Anime Intro Compilations that are on YouTube for Super Robot War games)
Maryohki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Warstar77 wrote:
Anime hyper and but still fans want anime and but its not fair that its new anime is broadcast in japan and they are watching and while rest of the anime fans around the world in the dark and we can't watch it and if they got message to the companies to post it online so anime fans can watch it and not download it and i think anime fans want to watch new anime airing in japan and want it post online at youtube and other website that are airing on japan so and but it to be for a while and not fever and we fans also have to buy them so the company can me money and who nows the companies may open site where people can order dvd from anime companies in japan and but we must convice companies movie and anime movie and cartoon companies to put them in a online vault and so the companies and companies like universal studios got burned and lost everything including movie like back to the future and ET and if they post the companyies make online vault with unkown web sever the vidoes will be saved and don't want the anime comapanies and companyies who make shows don't loose them. i don't want them getting burned like universal studios did and do to the weather and earthquake and bad bad weather and its better for them to do it online and to make it there for centuries to come untill then and so i would be good.

...this has nothing to do with episodes. It's about things like Caramelldansen videos; the MAD videos.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
It appears that not many of you care so much about Anime that you love so much. Considering how many of you think this is bad. Buy them. It's not hard
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
It appears that not many of you care so much about Anime that you love so much. Considering how many of you think this is bad. Buy them. It's not hard
The hell are you talking about?

I know plenty of people who make AMVs using the DVDs they bought out of the pure enjoyment of creating such things or sharing their interest in a series. In fact, I've had people ask me about series after seeing AMVs because they were intrigued.

The whole point is that this move is killing the fandom's way of expressing engagement and love of anime series. I seriously doubt something in the veins of parody is intended to steal away the industry's revenue.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEye wrote:
The whole point is that this move is killing the fandom's way of expressing engagement and love of anime series. I seriously doubt something in the veins of parody is intended to steal away the industry's revenue.

One word: music.

It's not about the parody animation (mostly heavily edited montages) but the music playing in the background. While the majority of AMV/MAD have lackluster sound quality, they DO redistribute music without permission, and the music can be easily ripped or recorded and saved as a standalone music file by those who are not interested into the parody gag or whatnot. If record companies don't take actions against those AMV/MAD then they might find it difficult to hold their stance against other forms of unauthorized redistribution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
bradc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
SharinganEye wrote:

It's not about the parody animation (mostly heavily edited montages) but the music playing in the background. While the majority of AMV/MAD have lackluster sound quality, they DO redistribute music without permission, and the music can be easily ripped or recorded and saved as a standalone music file by those who are not interested into the parody gag or whatnot. If record companies don't take actions against those AMV/MAD then they might find it difficult to hold their stance against other forms of unauthorized redistribution.

I guess entertainment will become utterly moot. Without 1) Audio 2) Video 3) Visual 4) Graphics. Everything gone with the wind like for every censorshipping and taking away what entertainment is and become the ultimate Internet Blackout.

I wonder who will be responsible when there is nothing else left to watch and listen, and to share among fans what the fandom is truly about and bringing people together like it should globally. Fans will ALWAYS support and being enthusiastic, and passionate what they care for. Business companies now a days just sum up one word of: Greedy.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
As someone who rarely watches fansubs and proudly owns every series I've watched that's currently available in the US (grand total of one: I'm still waiting for Ouran and RxJ, the only other ones I've even watched in part--one or two episodes--would be the Power Puff Girl anime and Zetsubou-Sensei), and considers herself anti-pirating...

This is a dumb idea. Half the people in the Princess Tutu fandom that I know got into the show because of the Hold Me Now video, for example. I also recently discovered a music artist through an AMV and bought her entire album off of iTunes. This stuff is free advertising.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RubberSoul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
Whaaat? Heh, figures this would happen soon. Off to save the videos I really like~
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:34 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

That's definitely a factor. I know people's stuff got yanked not for the anime materials, but the music it was set to. Some of them wanted to share favorite/obscure/underrated songs and artists (and succeeded), but the recording labels see different.

As for the validity of AMVs as proliferation of music piracy, I can think of better venues, but that's a muddy pile we don't need to get into.

To be a realist means to be a pessimist, I guess.
domino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:43 am Reply with quote
as a MAD fan, this is disappointing.
But the main question I have is... why? 99% of MADs are nowhere near replacements for owning the original content, and if anything you'd think that the videos would actually be free advertising for an anime. A lot of the comments on certain videos say that people had no idea a certain scene on some series existed and because of viewing the video on nicodouga decided to go buy the DVD. I, too, have made purchases purely because of copyrighted content discovered through nicodouga.

I love it when companies suddenly decide to shoot themselves in the foot like this.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
bradc wrote:
I guess entertainment will become utterly moot. Without 1) Audio 2) Video 3) Visual 4) Graphics. Everything gone with the wind like for every censorshipping and taking away what entertainment is and become the ultimate Internet Blackout.

I'm not taking a stance on whether or not this is a good move but...you do realise there was entertainment long before there was an internet on which to illegally distribute it?

Also, "censorshipping" isn't a word and even if it was, you'd be misusing it in this context.

Quote:
Business companies now a days just sum up one word of: Greedy.

Whereas in the good old days the business world was all about altruism and philanthropy? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4