• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: "Otaku" Murderer Tsutomu Miyazaki Executed on Tuesday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BleuVII

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
This is what happens when extremely outrageous anime fans go too far: murder. Let punishment fit crime.

No, this is what happens when a person loses their conscience, ability to reason, and humanity, and THEN goes too far. Being an anime fan has little or nothing to do with it, aside from the fact that some of his violent rape/murder videos were in animated form.

On a side note, let me remind you that "anime" and "manga" have two different meanings in English and Japanese, just as otaku does. "Anime" is a truncated form of "animation" and is applied to Disney, Ghibli, televised Japanese animations, and American saturday morning cartoons alike. Manga is simply their word for any book that combines pictures and text, though what we call manga is often called "komikusu (comics)" in Japan. In the same way, otaku means anyone who is inordinately obsessed with one facet of life or entertainment.
Lenks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:14 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
darcerin wrote:
Does anyone else find it just a tad coincidental that right after the Akihabara murders Miyazaki is hanged? I mean, they had him on death row for how long, and suddenly Japan announces they've killed him? Not only that, they didn't announce beforehand that he was scheduled to die. They didn't say anything until *after* he died.

...did anyone get the Ketchum reference yet?

In case you are still interested, Tom Ketchum was a cowboy from the very early 1900's. In an attempt to loot a train, he was shot and caught. He was eventually sentenced to death by hanging. But, the county he was sentenced in had never done capital punishment before, so they had made the rope too long. When they cut the rope, Ketchum was decapitated.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:18 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
Manga is simply their word for any book that combines pictures and text, though what we call manga is often called "komikusu (comics)" in Japan.

Not quite.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
3 cheers for the death penalty~!
cenorig

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:30 am Reply with quote
The article which was linked some pages back is interesting but missing an important part for me and that would be a deep psychoanalysis of the murderer. I'm really obsessed with psychology, can't help wondering what was going on in his mind when he did it and how he got so far (that he was able to do it). Sure it's easy to say that he was sick and twisted, and without a doubt he was, but I still have an interest in him. How could he do such things? Why did he call and wrote the letters (pleasure or guilt)?

It's always depressing to read about serial killers like him. I'm just glad this case is now closed and the victim's families will have some peace, as much as it's possible after twenty years.

Sad
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
It's also sad how Miyazaki's father killed himself a few years after his son's arrest. The entire thing reeks of horrible.

I just feel terrible for the families of those little girls. For them, this will never be over, not even with this guy's death. How can you forget something like that...?
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:45 am Reply with quote
Good riddance, and I'm sorry it took the Japanese that long to wipe that animal from the face of the Earth. I hope it burns in Hell. That thing, that beast, that animal (after its first murder, it lost any consideration as a human being) was a blot on the Japanese people and the human race as a whole.
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Now that he's gone let us all hope another doesn't rise to take his place.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Good. Now if people could only realize lolicon does not equal pedophile....like this guy.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
Now that he's gone let us all hope another doesn't rise to take his place.

This is one of the reasons I can't support the death penalty. There is no conclusive evidence that proves capital punishment is a successful deterrent. If anything, I theorize that it elevates the brutality of crimes, as criminals try harder to obscure victims' identity.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Good. Now if people could only realize lolicon does not equal pedophile....like this guy.

Good luck with that, even I think lolicon is disgusting.
vincent iii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:
Does anyone else find it just a tad coincidental that right after the Akihabara murders Miyazaki is hanged? I mean, they had him on death row for how long, and suddenly Japan announces they've killed him? Not only that, they didn't announce beforehand that he was scheduled to die. They didn't say anything until *after* he died.

Even though its pushing it, I wouldn't be surprised if they did this to strike fear into "Otaku Killers". From what I remember reading, once the cops pulled a gun on the Akihabara killer, he pretty much gave up. With this idea it also give a public image that Otakus are cowards, so showing that the goverment have no problem hanging an Otaku Killer, might strike fear in others who might want to follow their footsteps. Just an idea.
Kouga13

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised this hasn't blown up into a debate about capital punishment. It all seems very shallow; which is ironic since I know nothing outside of what was stated in the article.

For some reason it reminds me of a quote along the lines of: You can judge a society by it's prison population.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
darcerin wrote:

Like many others have already said (and no one seems to be listening), this is the way it is always done in Japan. They never announce it beforehand. Their way avoids the media circus.
And add me to the "glad he's dead" crowd. I guess that makes me "as bad as him" to some of you people. Rolling Eyes
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Michi: It's not the otaku aspect that I feel bad about, but that, if Wikipedia is correct, he was diagnosed with various mental illnesses. Anyway, it's funny how that guy can be held accountable for his crimes, but that same Japanese government will be in a fit if its students know what their soldiers were really doing in China, Korea, and the Philippines during WWII. Rolling Eyes It's also fairly hypocritical to have a shrine honoring war criminals who basically did the same thing as him.

But then that's why capital punishment is really immoral: because it can be used against anyone considered "undesirable" by people who may not be credible enough to make the call. In the South, for example, there were quite a few people who were executed by the Klan, just for being black. And then there's that Final Solution business...

Sure, this guy was the actual perp, and not just falsely accused, but
why is he taking the fall, when there are plenty of people of who practically draw the same scenarios as him? I'm not advocating censorship, but possibly more mental evaluations-especially since so many people on 2ch seem to think it's fine and dandy when one of their own loses it like he did in Akihabara.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7