• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Where are the Giant Robo characters from?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shale

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I've been rewatching the series, and I'm curious. I know the OVA is sort of a mishmash of Mitsuteru Yokoyama's various characters and series, but beyond Daisaku himself, I can't find much info on who comes from where. Anybody know, offhand?
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:49 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
I've been rewatching the series, and I'm curious. I know the OVA is sort of a mishmash of Mitsuteru Yokoyama's various characters and series, but beyond Daisaku himself, I can't find much info on who comes from where. Anybody know, offhand?

Since the Giant Robo OVA has a lot of characters, I write about just some of them.

Shizukanaru Chūjō Modelled on the chief of the state security agency in Babel II.
Taisō From Suikoden (Water Margin).
Ginrei From Sononawa 101 and Ōkami no Seiza.
Tetsugyū From Suikoden.
Murasame Kenji From Tetsujin 28-gō.
Goyō From Suikoden.
Kōsonshō From Suikoden.
Yōshi From Suikoden.
Big Fire Modelled on Babel II. Of course the name Big Fire was also used in Giant Robo (the manga by Yokoyama and Ozawa) in the first place.
Shokatsuryō (Kōmei) From Sangokushi (Romance of the Three Kingdoms).
Hanzui From Suikoden.
Alberto Modelled on a character in Mars.
Cervantes Modelled on a member of Yomi's special forces in Babel II.
Fitzcarraldo Modelled on a henchman of Yomi in Babel II.
Mask the Red From Kamen no Ninja Akakage.
Gen'ya Modelled on Gen'yasai in Iga no Kagemaru.
Sunny the Magician From Mahōtsukai Sunny/Mahōtsukai Sally.
Dr von Vogler Modelled on Dr Franken in Tetsujin 28-gō.
Dr Montalbán Modelled on Dr Dragnet in Tetsujin 28-gō.

Like Monster and VL2, which come from Tetsujin 28-gō, some mecha that appear in the Giant Robo OVA are also 'quotations' from other works by Yokoyama Mitsuteru.

Shale

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Thanks a lot.
tenkado-shujin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
Thanks a lot.

It's a pleasure.

Recently I happened to reread a volume of Yokoyama's Water Margin which included a chapter that was roughly based on '武十回'. Kojima Umeko too is stronger than a tiger, though. '不敢暴虎' w

Yokoyama also used 'Big Fire' as the name of a scientist spoiler[whose 'son' fought against Tetsujin 28-gō at Mt. White Buffalo]. Therefore Big Fire is a familiar name to people who read classics by Yokoyama Mitsuteru.

As to the 'all-star cast' of Yokoyama's characters in the Giant Robo OVA, according to Yamashita Akihiko, who also works for Studio Ghibli, it was an idea which director Imagawa has worked out already in a very early stage of making the OVA.

Yamashita Akihiko wrote:
横山先生の『ジャイアントロボ』のキャラクターというより、主に『水滸伝』や『三国志』などのキャラクターを使って、それぞれの味を出そうとしたんです。これは単にデザインがいいからという理由で、他作品のキャラを取り入れてるというだけじゃないんですよ。今川さんがそうしたのには理由があるんです。

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1