• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naisho no Tsubomi

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:27 am Reply with quote
Naisho no Tsubomi

I've just gotten through the first episode of this 3 part OVA, as one of my favourite groups has just started subbing it... I was wondering if anyone had seen it?

My first impression of it was, really nicely animated. It reminds me a bit of Yotsunoha in it's cute art style and detailed backgrounds. I guess companies have a bit more of a license to invest heavily in visuals when they're not trying to stretch something out over more than a dozen episodes.

As for the story, well. It was slightly odd for me to be watching, as the show deals with distinctly feminine themes and as such I have no real life experiences from which to draw on. It all seems to be dealt with in good taste though, and despite there being spoiler[a poop joke in the first episode, we're talking about 5th graders here, it's not out of place.

My only criticism so far would be how much it's trying to accomplish over three episodes. In the one episode alone Tsubomi has been dealing with a new arrival in the family and the changes that will have on her mother, her first period and her first experience with feelings of love... add to that the potential for a very sick friend and wow, that's a lot to deal with in a three part OVA.]

I'll certainly be looking out for the releases of this one, and at this point I'm tentatively giving it my seal of approval.

(edited for hyperlink goodness)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
It all seems to be dealt with in good taste though, and despite there being spoiler[a poop joke in the first episode, we're talking about 5th graders here, it's not out of place.]

I don't think it was as much of a joke as it was displaying how 5th graders act.

Also, ironically (but not surprisingly), the English fanbase of this title almost exclusively is comprised of lolicon. I'm living proof of that.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, it's funny you should say that. I was thinking about the groups previous fansub releases... Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro Chan... Sky Girls... Yotsunoha... Now Tsubomi.

Definitely a lolicon element at work when they choose their series Evil or Very Mad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1