• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cenorig

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
I have never read a 2nd edition copy of any of the first 4 volumes, but to my knowledge they're the same as the initial releases save for the outward presentation. The first volume was just unusually thick, which isn't all that uncommon for manga series in general. Now that I think about it, the paper may have been heavier for the initial editions (it certainly feels that way) but I wouldn't get too worried about that.

Thicker volumes actually make sense, now that I think about it.
I was just wondering if it's worth spending a couple bucks more on an older edition.
And it seems it's not.

Thanks
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope some of the old and now out of print Pulp manga will see the light of day again. Maybe Viz signature would be the place. Stuff like Sanctuary or Strain would be nice to get back in print. Uzumaki and Black and White got picked up. I wish I had found a copy of adult comedy manga Short Cuts.

Plus, I can't wait for 20th Century Boys to get picked up. What I've seen of it, though some magical mysterious way, it's even more gripping and addicting than Monster. I wish Urasawa would let them be published simultaneously. Pluto would be interesting too. I first saw it while on vacation in Japan and bought a beautiful oversized edition that included a volume of Tezuka's original comics.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
Finally updated my collection of Signature titles, thanks to Anime North.

I picked up the last four volumes of The Drifting Classroom, which has proven to be interesting. Chalk up another completed series purchased. I don't know when I'll get around to reading it, though.

I also picked up Vols. 11 and 14 (newest one) of Monster, which has proven itself to be a very engaging and mysterious series since I bought the first few volumes on impluse.

Oddly enough, I also got around to purchasing Tekkon Kinkreet, since I needed something else to qualify for the deal. It's somewhat disheartening that it's released flopped, unless that was done on purpose.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
Not too many Signature releases coming out from now until Solanin, but two notable ones are the Takehiko Inoue artbooks. To be honest, I find that a lot of the books that get published in English are lacking in that they often don't feature drop-dead gorgeous pieces. I don't mean to rag on good manga-artists, but I'm also not keen on spending $30 on a collection of glorified character-sketches/chapter-introductions. Lucky, Inoue has some of the most jaw-dropingly beautiful artwork out there, and I'm sure that both books will be right at home on coffee tables.
Jump Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
They're also gonna release Real Very Happy . I'm a Inoue fan... so i'm happy! I've read the Japanese version, I wonder what the English is going to be like. Sometimes I like to compare them. Smile
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:27 am Reply with quote
Well it is a new month and it is time to look at the new releases of the Viz Signature line. Here's what is happening this month:

June 17, 2008:
Cat Eyed Boy Vol. 1 & 2
Monster Vol. 15

I already got Cat Eyed Boy Vol. 1 and Monster Vol. 15 preordered and I am extremely excited to see this new series and of course see what happens in Monster next.

I also saw that the newest Right Turn Only has a review of Cat Eyed Boy Vol. 1. They gave it a B-. Considering the fact that a lot of manga I read probably has a rating of a B-, this doesn't bug me.

Another note, I'll probably end up buying Cat Eyed Boy Vol. 2 as well, but for the first time ever, I'll have to save up my money in order just to buy it like I'm doing Vol. 1 and Beck: The Complete Series.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Can anybody tell me if Cat-Eyed Boy's any good? Being from a famous manga-ka, I do have a mild interest in the series, though the Cat-Eyed Boy himself on the cover of Vol. 1 is sort of turning me off. Looks can be deceiving, I know. So I'd like to hear a few opinions of it first. I had to be persuaded for Monster and The Drifting Classroom, so lay it on me!

Otherwise, asides from Monster, I probably won't be getting another Signature until Solanin and 20th Century Boys (whenever that gets solicited).
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
With Monster finishing up this December, would 20th CB continue with the same schedule and start the following February? I realllly hope so.
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I recently picked up Hotel Harbour View and it says it's published under a line called Viz Spectrum Editions. Anyone aware of anything else that may have been published under this line or why HHV is special and has it's own line? Or what ever happened to the line?
driverstart

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Can anybody tell me if Cat-Eyed Boy's any good? Being from a famous manga-ka, I do have a mild interest in the series, though the Cat-Eyed Boy himself on the cover of Vol. 1 is sort of turning me off. Looks can be deceiving, I know. So I'd like to hear a few opinions of it first. I had to be persuaded for Monster and The Drifting Classroom, so lay it on me!

Otherwise, asides from Monster, I probably won't be getting another Signature until Solanin and 20th Century Boys (whenever that gets solicited).

You want an opinion on Cat Eyed Boy? Alright, I just finished reading it a few moments ago (only volume 1 mind you) so I can give you my thoughts on the story.

It's pretty good series. It is mostly just a bunch of horror stories that the main character, Cat Eyed Boy, wanders into. In some stories, he doesn't play a big role and he often sometimes just narrates. In other stories, he plays a larger role and takes an active interest and part in what is happening around him and others. If you ever read Mushishi before, this story's format won't be too different in some sense.

The art style is good and is definitely same as The Drifting Classroom. The monster and demons look good, though some of them are more weird than scary.

The story lines for each little story are pretty good though the first story is a bit confusing to follow in my thoughts. Just so you know, one of the stories, The Band of 100 Monsters, continues on into volume 2 leaving an annoying cliffhanger.

Anyhow, this is a solid series and since you like The Drifting Classroom, then you should have no problem with it. Well, that's my thoughts on the series, anyone else have anything to say about it if they bought or read it?
driverstart

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm normally lazy about posting this up every month, but I'm putting up this month's releases early. Anyhow, for the Viz Signature Line in July, here is what is coming out:

July 15, 2008:
Real Vol. 1

Yeah... not much this month huh? It's not going to get any better for the next two months either with only one volume of the Signature series coming out.

HOWEVER! This month's release is something I've been looking forward to for a while now. Real, done by the same guy who did Vagabond! I'm excited about reading this manga a lot and after reading this review, I'm even more excited. Here's a the place to locate the review:

http://www.mangalife.com/reviews/Realv1.htm

Anyhow, that's it for me for now. Man, only 7 (I'm not counting art books) more titles for the Signature series coming out this year, kind of sad. 3 volumes of Monster, 2 volumes of Vagabond VIZBIG, Solanin, and one more volume of Real. Speaking of releases, I've been wondering if Oishinbo will be part of the line and I heard of something called Another Monster written by Naoki Urasawa that looks at the series Monster in a different view, do you think this could be release under the Viz Signature line?
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Not a Jellyfish wrote:
I recently picked up Hotel Harbour View and it says it's published under a line called Viz Spectrum Editions. Anyone aware of anything else that may have been published under this line or why HHV is special and has it's own line? Or what ever happened to the line?

There were, as far as I know, 3 Viz Spectrum titles...one of the others was Shion: Blade of the Minstrel, and I'll be damned if I can remember the other one. Viz Spectrum was a *VERY* short-lived line for one-shot, prestige format releases for mature readers in the very early 90s. These books were still in Viz Shop-By-Mail catalogs as late as 1998 or so, but I think Hotel Harbour View is the only one that's easily findable these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:56 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:

You want an opinion on Cat Eyed Boy? Alright, I just finished reading it a few moments ago (only volume 1 mind you) so I can give you my thoughts on the story.

It's pretty good series. It is mostly just a bunch of horror stories that the main character, Cat Eyed Boy, wanders into. In some stories, he doesn't play a big role and he often sometimes just narrates. In other stories, he plays a larger role and takes an active interest and part in what is happening around him and others. If you ever read Mushishi before, this story's format won't be too different in some sense.

The art style is good and is definitely same as The Drifting Classroom. The monster and demons look good, though some of them are more weird than scary.

The story lines for each little story are pretty good though the first story is a bit confusing to follow in my thoughts. Just so you know, one of the stories, The Band of 100 Monsters, continues on into volume 2 leaving an annoying cliffhanger.

Anyhow, this is a solid series and since you like The Drifting Classroom, then you should have no problem with it. Well, that's my thoughts on the series, anyone else have anything to say about it if they bought or read it?

Hmmm, I see.

I've only read the first two volumes of the Mushishi manga, but I have seen the anime in its entirety, so the format shouldn't be much of an issue in this case.

This title would probably be something that I would preview before purchasing. I don't know why, but I still have some doubts about the title. =/ Hearing its similarities is somewhat reassuring, though. It did take me about 3-4 volumes before I really got into The Drifting Classroom.

In any case, thank you for your opinion.
driverstart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
Well it is another month, so let's take a look at what is coming out this month for the Signature Line.

August 19, 2008:
Monster Vol. 16

.... not much again this month, huh? Ugh. Well, at least next month has 3 books to look forward to. Not looking good for the Signature Line.

On a positive note, Naoki Urasawa's 20th Century Boys and Pluto are confirmed to come out next year which is a good thing since this line needs some titles in it. Oishinbo is also coming out next year, but will that be for the Signature Line? I've also heard the anime, Monster is coming out as well. I wonder if this series is going to be a Viz Signature Anime Line? On one last note, this little topic of the Signature Line is now over a year old. That's kind of cool.
Rawshark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:44 am Reply with quote
Since Cat Eyed Boy is over I could use another classic manga series starting up. Preferably a Tezuka gekiga. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10