• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Firsts

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
So, two kinds of these, for the brainiac and the reminiscer.

1. What are the best anime "firsts" you know of that were groundbreaking and made people sit up and pay attention? Not just "first time CG was used" or something, but the less concrete like "first moe craze show." (I shake my fist at the creator of that one.) or "first American anime hit." (Was it Gundam or DBZ, anyway? Who has a head for numbers, here?)

2. Personal firsts. When was the first time you: Cried in an anime? Shared anime with your friends? Were surprised by the shocking content of anime? Shocked (Confession, confession. Mine is actually Digimon.) Regretted wasting your time on utter garbage when you still thought all anime was awesome? (Most of us have been there at least.)

These are just examples, but ANY firsts, historical or personal, are welcome! Share away. Woot.
LdyGodiva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:06 am Reply with quote
Personal First - I'm wondering if it's common to have a Post-Anime-Depression?

When I finished reading the Harry Potter Series (which I loved) & knew that was it, it was over, there will not be any more books, I was pretty down & depressed for about a week.

As stupid as this is for me to admit, I just finished all 4 seasons of Marmalade Boy & wow I'm very depressed. I want more. I love Miki & Yuu and want to watch them live happily together.

I've had my doubts about Anime (hubby loves them) always thought they were just adult cartoons & didn't think I'd get into any, but... here I am Neutral joined an Anime message board, searching youtube for videos of animes and voice actors and such.

Crying or Very sad I want more Miki & Yuu... Crying or Very sad
Maryohki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:23 am Reply with quote
I do wonder what the first BL anime to make it to America was. Was it FAKE? That's the oldest one I recall seeing on shelves.

Some personal firsts here:

My first anime was Card Captor Sakura in its dub form known as Card Captors. I didn't know it was anime or anything, but I adored it for a while, maybe about a year. Sailor Moon took over for it pretty quickly though. My gateway anime was Tenchi Muyo.

The first anime I purchased on DVD is a hard one to pinpoint, because I think I bought more than one at once, and I have several titles old enough to be it. I'm going to guess the two were Lupin III The Secret of the Twilight Gemini and the first disc of Sailor Moon Super S.

The first anime I bought subtitled was a VHS copy of Urusei Yatsura. I loved it and I still want to get more of this.

My first big obsession with a series was Yu Yu Hakusho. I do believe this occurred due to my fangirlism for Kurama.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:56 am Reply with quote
LdyGodiva wrote:
Personal First - I'm wondering if it's common to have a Post-Anime-Depression?

When I finished reading the Harry Potter Series (which I loved) & knew that was it, it was over, there will not be any more books, I was pretty down & depressed for about a week.

As stupid as this is for me to admit, I just finished all 4 seasons of Marmalade Boy & wow I'm very depressed. I want more. I love Miki & Yuu and want to watch them live happily together.

I've had my doubts about Anime (hubby loves them) always thought they were just adult cartoons & didn't think I'd get into any, but... here I am Neutral joined an Anime message board, searching youtube for videos of animes and voice actors and such.

Crying or Very sad I want more Miki & Yuu... Crying or Very sad

I totally know what you're referring to here. It happens most frequently for me with books, but has happened with anime as well... Elfen Lied being the example I can think of off hand.

At least for me, I think the reason is that it happens is those books/shows manage to blur the lines of reality, at least as far as emotions go. So I get wrapped up in these characters and storylines and when they are suddenly wrenched away from me... it is like losing a friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LdyGodiva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
At least for me, I think the reason is that it happens is those books/shows manage to blur the lines of reality, at least as far as emotions go. So I get wrapped up in these characters and storylines and when they are suddenly wrenched away from me... it is like losing a friend.

Thank you. I think that is a great way to put it. I'm also glad to know it's common for people to really get wrapped up into stories.
Zeller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
LdyGodiva wrote:
TheTheory wrote:

Thank you. I think that is a great way to put it. I'm also glad to know it's common for people to really get wrapped up into stories.

Yeah, that happens to me with almost every Anime I've watched from beginning to end. Especially if it's over the course of a few days instead of spacing it out a bit. The one that hit the hardest was Love Hina, but I do wish there was more Elfen Lied.
JaredDSMan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Nice questions. I would say the first time I watched anime and told my siblings/friends was when Toonami was at my personal best showing Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, Tenchi Muyo, etc. I cried when watching the Pokemon episode wherespoiler[ Ash wants to leave Pikachu with the other Pikachus in the forest.] OMG So sad! Crying or Very sad
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
^I'm okay as long as I can find one new series I like afterwards, and so on and so forth. If I one day find there's "nothing good on/left," I'll get depressed.

Wow, anime is like crack.

FIRSTS for me: First series I ever got all fangirly over was Fruits Basket. I barely knew what anime was and had seen only the big popular mainstream titles (which I didn't even care for) but I LOVED Fruits Basket and memorized every little detail about the characters and all the jokes.

First "gateway" title that prompted me to really research what anime was and start purchasing more of it and finding other fans in my community was Case Closed. Unlike FMA or Bleach, it seemed very Japanese to me, and suggested a lot of cultural differences I found appealing compared to American entertainment. I don't know why Fruits Basket didn't do that for me. Maybe I was too young. Actually, in terms of radically different storytelling conventions, Case Closed was pretty Western world-friendly, but you gotta start somewhere...

First time I've ever turned OFF an anime because of shock factor: Samurai Champloo. I returned to it years later and it didn't bother me as much, but for as little anime as I'd seen, some of the more "serious" sexual content of the show (you know what I'm talking about, those of you who've seen it) took me aback. That and I wasn't crazy about their take on the Christian refugees either. Felt as if they were making a general statement rather than a story one. Historically speaking, I guess, they're bound to have a defined take on it, but...

First time I cried while watching anime: Fruits Basket. Momiji and his mother. Nough said. It helped that I'd accidentally skipped that volume of the manga, so I was more surprised by it.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
When my relatives found out that I liked anime they started getting me DVDs for birthdays and Christmas; the first anime that I actually bought for myself was the 2004 Appleseed movie, closely followed by the complete collection of Earth Girl Arjuna. They were both on sale at a convention.

The first actual anime series that I watched beginning to end was Shaman King. I was in love with it when I was 11, then forgot about it for a while, assuming it had been a kid thing. I got my hands on the fansubs a few years later, ran through it all in a few days, and fell in love all over again. It's still one of my favorite series.

The first time I experienced anime burnout was after finishing Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. That series completely redefined for me what was good anime and what wasn't, and knocked my previous favorite, Fullmetal Alchemist, quite a ways down my top 10 chart. I was completely off anime for almost two months; I got back into it with Galaxy Angel.

The first time I cried at an anime was during the train ride in Spirited Away, and I still have no idea why.

Oh yeah, one more: the first anime couple I became obsessed with was Roy Mustang and Riza Hawkeye from Fullmetal Alchemist. I still love them, even though I'm not as favorable toward the show anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Maryohki wrote:
I do wonder what the first BL anime to make it to America was. Was it FAKE? That's the oldest one I recall seeing on shelves.

I don't know but I am pretty sure that the very first BL themed anime ever was Kaze to Ki no Uta .

Anyway, my "firsts":

Cried in an anime?
First time I watched Sailor Moon, the final episode of the first season: spoiler[the girls' deaths all had an impact on me but when Rei died it was just too much. Especially the way she died, trying to cheer Usagi on and then using her fire attack in a suicidal move.] Actually, before that there was spoiler[Nephrite's death which also had me tearing up some]

Shared anime with your friends?
Never did that but I did share Princess Tutu with my mother and she ended up loving it. She is a huge ballet fan and her comments on the dancing technique were very interesting. It was a second view for me but I got something new from it.

Were surprised by the shocking content of anime?
I was not all that surprised as I already knew what was coming but Elfen Lied did manage to shock me. Not so much the first episode as spoiler[Nana being dismembered by Lucy.]

Anime purchase
A pack with Howl's Moving Castle and Spirited Away
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:20 pm Reply with quote
First of many, many times I shared anime with my friends was when I was first getting introduced to it and me and three other girls would marathon six or so episodes of Inu-Yasha on Sunday afternoons. (Now that kind of sounds like hell to me, but I thought the show was dumb then, too.)

The first anime-watching "tradition" with my friends, though, was a once-yearly viewing of Howl's Moving Castle at my friend Raven's house at her birthday party. We've done that since the movie came out which makes...three or four times now? With all girls, that movie never gets old. *squeeee!*

But the first time I let people borrow my stuff (and eventually I became the school's anime Netflix for it) was lending a Case Closed and Yu Yu Hakusho loving friend Fullmetal Alchemist to try on for size. She loved it so much that she told all her friends about it and soon I was lending the series out on a constant basis. My discs look "well-loved" now, but none are broken and I've shared the series with upwards of 25 people. (I lost solid count at 18, but there were several more afterwards.) That might be why I don't discuss the series much here on the forums. I've already talked about every. little. detail. with my friends, boyfriend, family, and even just school acquaintances.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
First time you cried: Heh, actually I'm not very well known for crying while watching a movie, series, ect. Not to say I'm to "manly" to cry or anything (Laughing), in fact I've cried plenty of times before, but just never really during any form of media or anything. Although I will say I have felt an overwhelming amount of emotional power from tons of things before, in moments I'd say I probably would have cried had I been much of a crier for these things. Wink As for the first time it happened? Actually, someone beat me to it. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Quote:
I cried when watching the Pokemon episode where spoiler[Ash wants to leave Pikachu with the other Pikachus in the forest.] OMG So sad! Crying or Very sad

Oh man, I swear that episode had me depressed for such a long time after that! ........ In fact other than the spoiler[Nina episode] in FMA I think that's the only time I've ever been that overwhelmed with emotion..... Probably because I hadn't had a full grasp yet of just how vast anime is in that level of the tearjerker department. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'm sure if I'd watched something like, say, Elfen Lied at that time I would have been traumatized for life........

First purchase: I actually bought some VHS tapes of the original Dragonball (back when pioneer still had it) at a nearby comics & cards store when it was still in business for my very first purchase, but my very first real purchase from an actual video/DVD retailer would have to have been the Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz DVD from our old and late Suncoast. I was just there out of curiosity once since I knew it sold anime, and when I was taking a brief look at that DVD and given my enormous love for GW it said on the back that the DVD contained not only the OVA but the movie version as well, so I felt like I just HAD to get it!

First time sharing it with friends: I don't know how much the whole Pokemon Trading Card craze comes into account here where me and my friends would bring all our cards to school and trade, sell, and play the actual game (and get very much picked upon for such activity as well Wink ), but other than that I'd say it's very much within the realm of Gundam. I remember I used to tape GW uncut at night and me and my best friend would trade it back and fourth. That and he also bought Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket VHSs from the aforementioned cards & comics store that he used to let me borrow as well. In fact one could say that War in the Pocket would be my very first UC Gundam series. Very Happy I'd also say that it came to be very, very close to one of the first times I (would-be) cried during a series as well. Such a sad series....... Crying or Very sad but OH GOODNESS is it good!

First time being shocked at the content in anime: Actually, technically would be DBZ. Anime smile + sweatdrop That series I swear got so violent at times I was surprised this was being shown to children, on daytime TV no less! Shocked I didn't care though, DBZ has always been awesome anyways. Cool Also in all actuality DBZ also I think led me to some of my first online experiences with anime, in which I found out quite a bit about how much even more content existed in the uncut version, which at the time was even more shocking to me! As far as finding out how truly R-rated anime can get sometimes, that actually didn't come from any series in particular. That came from when I was about 13 years old and my freind of the same age was talking to me about some of the R-rated content he'd seen in other series out there. Though if I were ever to remember exactly the scenes he was talking about I might actually be able to point out what series he was talking about, sadly enough....... But if we were to name a specific series, I'd say when I came to find it out for myself would've probably had to have been Princess Mononoke on Starz, when I was about that same age. I had heard certain things but it only being PG-13 I was kind of shocked that it was as violent/coarse as it was......

First fansubed series: No question is Bleach, but Naruto came not too long after. That one you could give thanks to my 2 college friends who through such means, as well as other means, pretty much helped me open the door to the wider and more vast world of anime outside of Cartoon Network/other american TV networks that ran anime.

First introduction to manga: I'd say it was either the US Jump mag or the first time I started reading Naruto from the beginning, which both pretty much were my first intro into what would eventually become my #1 all time favorite series. Oh my goodness is that one heck of a nostalgic memory! Very Happy

First time realizing there was "more" to anime: Once again, Princess Mononoke. I almost want to say Gundam Wing, or even Outlaw Star for that matter since, but it truly was Princess Monononke, even if I'd never see anything else of it's caliber for a good 'nother while.

First time getting into the more "mature" series out there: It was on one fatful night in which I had cried myself to sleep (that's another story......) and then woke up at like, 2 or 3 A.M. I started channel surfing and found Adult Swim on CN, knowing that I'd heard about it somewhere else before. The show was Trigun, and I was hooked immediately, and finally decided to start taping it every night. I've been taping Adult Swim every night since.

First shounen experience: I almost want to say Dragonball, but I don't think that counts considering I had no clue what shounen eve was at the time. Anime smile + sweatdrop So in that case it'd definitely have to be both Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin at the same time. I noted how similar both seemed to be to Dragonball in a lot of ways, which made me research it a little more and eventually found out that such a genre existed. Needless to say I've been an enormous shounen fan ever since, although since both also had a part in leading me to Naruto as well, I honestly have to say that Naruto played a huge part in my love for shounen as well.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
... or "first American anime hit." (Was it Gundam or DBZ, anyway? Who has a head for numbers, here?)

While one could make a case for the original black and white Astroboy, I think the best answer to this question is 'Speed Racer.' C'mon- name ANYONE in America who doesn't know what Speed Racer is. Wink
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I think the first time I cried in any anime series was during the original Streamline Pictures' dub of Nadia: the Secret of Blue Water. I think it was episode 7 or so when Mary (or Marie depending on which translation you go by) spoiler[finds out her parents were killed and weren't coming back.] Either that or it was in Space Battleship Yamato: The Final Chapter film when Daisuke Shima is injured really badly during a heated battle spoiler[and ends up dying after he successfully launches the Yamato, saving it from destruction at the hands of the enemy.]

I can't really recall sharing anime with my friends for the first time because in my circle friends, we all kinda grew up watching it as it was coming out. Most of my friends really knew what anime was by the time I did so, we all just ended up watching it together.

My first shounen experience was with Dragonball. There was a guy who lived down the street from me who traded me a bunch of the DBZ card-dass cards in exchange for a few "Advance Comics" magazines (much like "Previews" today). I'd always wanted to see the anime version of it but, of course around that time it was still unavailable out here (around 1993 or so). Later on, a friend of mine in middle school would come to class with Korean translated versions of the Dragonball manga. I immediatley recognized it and he'd bring me different books of it that he'd check out from a place called "Ga-Chee Comic Library" about 20-some odd miles north of where my family and I lived. I found the address to that place in the back of the books he let me look at and went and checked it out. For whatever reason, the guy at the library wouldn't let me check out any of the books (even though my friend was allowed) but, he pointed me over to the video store just down the hall from there. So, I rented "Dragon Ball: the Legend of Shen Long"- the first of the DB films, dubbed in Korean.

All throughout middle school and high school I was hooked and would borrow different books from different friends until I finally saw the U.S. premiere of the original series on KTZZ TV back in 1995, the same Saturday morning that Fox premiered Sailor Moon. DBZ didn't come until my sophomore year in High School, when a very good buddy of mine managed to get a hold of movies 8 and 11 from somewhere. They were Nth generation VHS copies mind you, but we didn't care. Our Japanese teacher also gave us a copy of Nausicaa, Laputa, Yu Yu Hakusho Movie 2 and a few episodes of New Lupin III. Man, those were definitely the days.

Sorry about the long response..lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
First time you cried: Heh, actually I'm not very well known for crying while watching a movie, series, ect. Not to say I'm to "manly" to cry or anything (Laughing), in fact I've cried plenty of times before, but just never really during any form of media or anything. Although I will say I have felt an overwhelming amount of emotional power from tons of things before, in moments I'd say I probably would have cried had I been much of a crier for these things. Wink As for the first time it happened? Actually, someone beat me to it. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Quote:
I cried when watching the Pokemon episode where spoiler[Ash wants to leave Pikachu with the other Pikachus in the forest.] OMG So sad! Crying or Very sad

Oh man, I swear that episode had me depressed for such a long time after that! ........ In fact other than the spoiler[Nina episode] in FMA I think that's the only time I've ever been that overwhelmed with emotion..... Probably because I hadn't had a full grasp yet of just how vast anime is in that level of the tearjerker department. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'm sure if I'd watched something like, say, Elfen Lied at that time I would have been traumatized for life........

First purchase: I actually bought some VHS tapes of the original Dragonball (back when pioneer still had it) at a nearby comics & cards store when it was still in business for my very first purchase, but my very first real purchase from an actual video/DVD retailer would have to have been the Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz DVD from our old and late Suncoast. I was just there out of curiosity once since I knew it sold anime, and when I was taking a brief look at that DVD and given my enormous love for GW it said on the back that the DVD contained not only the OVA but the movie version as well, so I felt like I just HAD to get it!

First time sharing it with friends: I don't know how much the whole Pokemon Trading Card craze comes into account here where me and my friends would bring all our cards to school and trade, sell, and play the actual game (and get very much picked upon for such activity as well Wink ), but other than that I'd say it's very much within the realm of Gundam. I remember I used to tape GW uncut at night and me and my best friend would trade it back and fourth. That and he also bought Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket VHSs from the aforementioned cards & comics store that he used to let me borrow as well. In fact one could say that War in the Pocket would be my very first UC Gundam series. Very Happy I'd also say that it came to be very, very close to one of the first times I (would-be) cried during a series as well. Such a sad series....... Crying or Very sad but OH GOODNESS is it good!

First time being shocked at the content in anime: Actually, technically would be DBZ. Anime smile + sweatdrop That series I swear got so violent at times I was surprised this was being shown to children, on daytime TV no less! Shocked I didn't care though, DBZ has always been awesome anyways. Cool Also in all actuality DBZ also I think led me to some of my first online experiences with anime, in which I found out quite a bit about how much even more content existed in the uncut version, which at the time was even more shocking to me! As far as finding out how truly R-rated anime can get sometimes, that actually didn't come from any series in particular. That came from when I was about 13 years old and my freind of the same age was talking to me about some of the R-rated content he'd seen in other series out there. Though if I were ever to remember exactly the scenes he was talking about I might actually be able to point out what series he was talking about, sadly enough....... But if we were to name a specific series, I'd say when I came to find it out for myself would've probably had to have been Princess Mononoke on Starz, when I was about that same age. I had heard certain things but it only being PG-13 I was kind of shocked that it was as violent/coarse as it was......

First fansubed series: No question is Bleach, but Naruto came not too long after. That one you could give thanks to my 2 college friends who through such means, as well as other means, pretty much helped me open the door to the wider and more vast world of anime outside of Cartoon Network/other american TV networks that ran anime.

First introduction to manga: I'd say it was either the US Jump mag or the first time I started reading Naruto from the beginning, which both pretty much were my first intro into what would eventually become my #1 all time favorite series. Oh my goodness is that one heck of a nostalgic memory! Very Happy

First time realizing there was "more" to anime: Once again, Princess Mononoke. I almost want to say Gundam Wing, or even Outlaw Star for that matter since, but it truly was Princess Monononke, even if I'd never see anything else of it's caliber for a good 'nother while.

First time getting into the more "mature" series out there: It was on one fatful night in which I had cried myself to sleep (that's another story......) and then woke up at like, 2 or 3 A.M. I started channel surfing and found Adult Swim on CN, knowing that I'd heard about it somewhere else before. The show was Trigun, and I was hooked immediately, and finally decided to start taping it every night. I've been taping Adult Swim every night since.

First shounen experience: I almost want to say Dragonball, but I don't think that counts considering I had no clue what shounen eve was at the time. Anime smile + sweatdrop So in that case it'd definitely have to be both Yu Yu Hakusho and Rurouni Kenshin at the same time. I noted how similar both seemed to be to Dragonball in a lot of ways, which made me research it a little more and eventually found out that such a genre existed. Needless to say I've been an enormous shounen fan ever since, although since both also had a part in leading me to Naruto as well, I honestly have to say that Naruto played a huge part in my love for shounen as well.

Wow, I like this thread. All these stories give me warm-fuzzies!
Very Happy

BTW, for all you Pokemon weepers out there, don't forget Butterfree's Goodbye. That one was gnarly. Butterfree was so cuuuuuute! Why did it have to go? Why? Crying or Very sad Wink

More firsts...

FIRST PURCHASE: Fruits Basket. Again. Got the whole series in its special box for $40. Since then I've upheld a tradition (and kept it, except for Saikano, which REALLY broke it) of never spending over $20 on a standard 4-5 episode DVD, (I calculate differently for lump-buying series) usually shooting for $10 a disc. It's possible, really it is. And I did it with NO internet shopping...

FIRST SHOCKER IN ANIME: Well, I'll explain the embarrassing one in a minute, but as far as understandable stuff goes, it was Princess Mononoke for me, too. It was so far-removed from the tameness I was used to, in fact, that I initially hated the movie, not knowing what to think because I hadn't really payed attention to the subtext. I waited a year and watched it again, and now I LOVE that movie. Still, it is shocking if you don't see cartoons with a lot of blood and then suddenly, spoiler[Whoa! That guy got his freaking ARMS shot off! With one arrow! Dude, that wolf got DECAPITATED...]

Now the embarrassing one...Digimon scared me. Note that I am talking about season three here: Digimon Tamers. (Directed by people who would later work on Lain and Pet Shop of Horrors.) I was about eleven years old, and there are moments in that show that DEFINITELY took some inspiration from Evangelion and succeeded in scaring the CRAP out of me. For those of you that saw it, I'm referring to the D-Reaper and "Scary Jeri." That and the fight with Beelzemon where Guilmon spoiler[becomes that Mega Demon and burns acidic drool through his body, traumatizing Jeri, Takato, meeee....] That show could really be scary, but looking back on it, it's still one of the best kids' anime I've ever seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4