• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Has Anime taught you ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marik101

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
hi everybody Anime smile
im brand new here so please tell if im doing this wrong. I've been trying to think of a topic that might interest you guys and girls. i would have posted earlier but i had to find an avatar Anime smile

Anyway i was just wondering what if anything has anime taught you ?
has it changed you personally? has made you think about the way you live your life and what you do and the way you treat people. I know it sounds dumb but for me its taught me to never give up, to never stop trying no matter how bad things get. that theres always hope as long as you believe it and that i should never be afraid to speck up and to do whats right.

Well thats about it from me, Im happy to be here and I hope to here from you guys

P.S. if im doing this wrong please tell me for i am a mighty noob Anime smile
gibbage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:44 pm Reply with quote
It has taught me that girls in Japan have really freaky hear color, and say "sorry" WAY WAY too often.

Other then that, its a very interesting glimpse into Japanese culture. You can see many aspects that differ from my American culture just by watching. Like how they wont wear shoes in-doors, the different class systems, and that guys get nose bleeds when they see jugs. Very interesting culture. Laughing
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
It has reinforced my belief that cell phones (text messaging specifically) have NO positive applications.

Ok, well maybe not none, but very few.
sanbyaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:56 pm Reply with quote
it has taught me how ignorant people can be and its shown me some sweet pointers on how to ignore them while pissing them off.
And last but not least its taught me to freak people out by sliding in comments in japanese xD
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:10 pm Reply with quote
It hasn't really taught me much of anything. I don't seek education from my entertainment. That's not to say it doesn't exist and I don't enjoy it when it does, but generally speaking, it's not something I expect or look for. It gives me a bit of insight in to basic elements of Japanese society, but I don't believe it's teaching me anything more about their society than watching shows like Reba or 24 will teach them about ours.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cool3865

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:23 pm Reply with quote
it has taught me to get a better job to support my habit Laughing
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I have learned all sorts of nifty stuff from Yakitate Japan, and I just last night wrote down the recipe they had on there for rice cooker bread...
now if only I had an actual rice cooker, I would so make it...
There are tips at the end of each episode that inform you of something somehow related to the science of cooking, usually related to bread, and I find it an awesome show anyway.

I suppose one could learn how to play Go as well from the tips at the end of every Hikaru No Go episode as well, and while I really like watching them, I am not learning the game.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I've learnt a handful of Japanese phrases from anime... as well as how to say them in the most over-the-top manner possible Wink
NathanBum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Some Japanese, how to read faster (subtitles), some history, and how to shop for bargains and make use of coupons. Very Happy
Marik101

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:07 pm Reply with quote
lol wow im so jealous you guys have learned a lot, now i have to go watch more anime Anime smile
NathanBum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Marik101 wrote:
lol wow im so jealous you guys have learned a lot, now i have to go watch more anime Anime smile

Yes, me too. I have to 'study' some Japanese History now (flips on Basilisk).
Xeric

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
When an artist is using a style that leads to very similar looking characters they often turn to interesting and colorful hair styles to help distinguish between them. Noticing this I decided to try make my very forgettable image slightly more memorable through changes in hair style and color.

OK, now that you're done laughing it's interesting to note that I have met with significant, although not great, success.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
GitS: SAC taught me how to fold paper cranes. I watched spoiler[little Kuze] do it in slow motion over and over again until I got it right.

And now I can actually fold them entirely left handed, too Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
it has taught me to get a better job to support my habit Laughing

Unfortunately that's one of the only lessons it's taught me as well. That and and rehab for an addiction is a bitch to go through heh. I honestly am more like Keonyn where I don't actively seek to learn lessons from my entertainment. Though there have been some lessons that have been reaffirmed for me through various serious if a character went through something similar to what I have in real life. These usually come from slice of life type shows or story arcs in a series. I haven't quite learned how to pilot a Gundam and deal with interplanetary political strife just yet though. However, I am working on it.
Marik101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I haven't quite learned how to pilot a Gundam and deal with interplanetary political strife just yet though. However, I am working on it.

hehe maybe but at least if it ever comes up you will be ahead of everybody else.... well anyone who doesn't watch gundam wing Anime smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4