• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Server Issues?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
space clam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been recently getting hit with a wave of (I assume) database errors that go something like:

Warning. MySQL_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in usr/domains/animenewsnetwork.com/htdocs/php1/ann.connect.php on line 30. MySQL_connect() failed.

It started when I tried to log on around 7:00 EST Feb. 3, and persisted until just a few minutes ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes, that has been happening to me, too. Like Space Clam, it started around midday Feb. 3rd, and has been occurring on & off since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:46 pm Reply with quote
space clam wrote:
I've been recently getting hit with a wave of (I assume) database errors that go something like

Yeah. You guys are just making ANN too popular for its own good. A (theoretically very good) fix is in the works, last I heard from Dan. It just needs to be implimented.

For reference, we are getting (on a per-day basis) ~100% more visitors than we were getting this time last year.. which was ~100% more than we were getting in 2002. Which was ~100% more than we were getting in 2001. Which was ~100% more than we were getting in 2000, which was ~100% more than we were getting in 1999...

And, poor ol' ANN's little SQL heart just can't keep up with this popularity. Plus we're adding some cool new stuff that doesn't actually concern (most? any?) of you, but will be an additional load on the server...

In the short-term, once the changes are made, we should be "OK" for the next few months. Beyond that, we're probably going to have to get a 2nd server and begin load balancing and getting into all the fun stuff that we've avoided thus far through some optimization and caching.

The growth pains of a website...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:56 am Reply with quote
Dare I speak too soon, but after it being down for hours today...ANN appears to be moving very smoothly now. Did something "miraculous" occur? Because the site has been really bad as of late.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 1:27 am Reply with quote
yeah. we're up by over 40% in daily visits from this time last month.

early in the month, we were surviving with a few simple kludges... but what ANN needs is, quite simply, more cpu power and more memory.

in addition, if we could optimize the encyclopedia (which is a monumental task in of itself) that'd really help. we have some caching in place, but it's just not enough.. :(

i'm not sure how optimized we could make the encyclopedia. my guess is "probably not a whole lot" unless we were to rewrite large parts of it.. and frankly, i don't think we even want to seriously consider that. :)

it'd be nice if we could optimize the CSS and HTML too, but those aren't really drags on the system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:27 am Reply with quote
lianncoop wrote:
Dare I speak too soon, but after it being down for hours today...ANN appears to be moving very smoothly now. Did something "miraculous" occur? Because the site has been really bad as of late.

You wrote this message at 03:56:36 EST. That's when the server is least busy; around 50% of peak time. I guess that's the only reason it was going smoothly. I just made a little optimization to the banner system, and maybe that will make a little difference during peak time (noon to midnight EST), but what we really REALLY need is to get the new server up and running.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
radicaledward

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:31 pm Reply with quote
So what exactly are the problems you are having, I'm sorry but the comptuer geek in me needs to know Cool

Also, I'd be willing to help, however I can, if you need an extra code geek.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:47 pm Reply with quote
From what I gather, the massive influx of new members to the site has crowded the old server to death. Simple as that, I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2