• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't see Bosch as a horrible miscast. Sure, he can do better, but I think he's doing just fine. Maybe it takes him a while to get into a new role. It's probably that way for many voice actors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Lloyd is suposted to sound like that. The voice is very similer to the original version actually. So your just suposted to hate his voice/him. Thats why everyone loves him Laughing
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I like Lloyd. I only said that I didn't think he was done right in the English version. It's not even really a problem with the voice acting neceessarily. But his lines are translated wrong in the dub and his character is thus given a totally different feel from how he is supposed to be.

Yah his Japanese voice might be annoying to some people but that is how his character is supposed to be and how he is supposed to be. I'm not agreeing that he is supposed to be a foot-kisser though, just that his character and voice is supposed to be slightly annoying in a sense. He is supposed to be like the rich royalty scientist sort of guy with terrible social skills (but a good guy nonetheless). He lost this quality completely in the English dub and it's partially because some of his lines were judiciously re-written. Maybe to clarify my complaint, I think Lloyd is not annoying ENOUGH in the English dub.

I think Crispin is a great VA too, it's just that he was miscast as that guy whose name I don't even remember. That character is not really supposed to be an important character (although I can't be sure since the series is still going on in Japan) so giving him the powerful voice of Crispin Freeman was a miscast.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... this is one series in which I have not seen ANY fansubs of, so perhaps that affects my opinion of the show's dub. The only real complaint I have now is that I can imagine some of the female classmates getting very annoying in the future, especially one in particular. (Can't remember her name though.)

Can't say anything as to how close the voices and script are to the original, but so far I'm enjoying the show. It's new, and it's at least half-decent so far.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Hmm... this is one series in which I have not seen ANY fansubs of, so perhaps that affects my opinion of the show's dub. The only real complaint I have now is that I can imagine some of the female classmates getting very annoying in the future, especially one in particular. (Can't remember her name though.)

Can't say anything as to how close the voices and script are to the original, but so far I'm enjoying the show. It's new, and it's at least half-decent so far.

Nunnaly. You must mean Nunnally. She's making my ears bleed. -.-'
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:23 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Nunnaly. You must mean Nunnally. She's making my ears bleed. -.-'

Isn't that Lelouch's sister? Or am I completely confused with the names? I didn't mind his sister's voice, though

It was definitely one of his classmates in the club, but I don't think it was Milly the club leader, and I can't remember any of the other names. Aside from Kallen, but it wasn't her
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
you mean either Shirly (the perky redhead)

or Nina (the quiet girl with glasses and black hair)

my bet would be Shirly (seeing as Nina hasn't said but like 1 line so far)

I personally think Shirly sounds like she should but not great.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:21 pm Reply with quote
BladeDragoonZETA wrote:
you mean either Shirly (the perky redhead)

or Nina (the quiet girl with glasses and black hair)

my bet would be Shirly (seeing as Nina hasn't said but like 1 line so far)

I personally think Shirly sounds like she should but not great.

Must be Shirly. She hasn't annoyed me too much yet, but I can imagine her voice getting grating later on.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote
From what I've heard so far I like Shirley's English dub voice a lot. Shirley's Japanese VA was also someone I like a lot.
Chaos42

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
here is my view
lelouch-Ok-could be better but im tollerant
Suzaku-Good
CC-Good
Kallen-Good
Shirly-Bad-sounds like a blond bow head doesn't fit her
Milly-Pritty good not exact but close enuff
Nina-exactly
Clovis-Fine-he doesn't have enuff lines to matter but when he did it was good
Loyd-Not crazy enuff loyd needs to sound excentric and slightly nuts he sounds like a proper gentalman-which we all know loyd is not
Cecil-a little too high pitched but its close enuff
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Kind of one of those "less action and more development" types of episodes mixed with one of those "slice of life type episode as a break" types as well. Looks like it's setting up some of the support characters for latter roles though. Still a pretty enjoyable episode though.

Regarding Bosh's Lelouch in this episode, spoiler[given what some of you described his voice should sound like I can imagine that it was much improved from what I could tell. The whole idea of his tone of voice and personality displayed in that shower scene (eh, a bit too fancervicy for my tastes, but I can let it slip) I think was a good example of that.]
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
loka

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:24 am Reply with quote
just saw ep 4 on adult swim. for those who were wondering, his 'Zero voice' also fails hard. /shakes head. what were they thinking.

oh and i'll agree that the english Lloyd is just fine. pretty well done, actually.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:29 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
just saw ep 4 on adult swim. for those who were wondering, his 'Zero voice' also fails hard. /shakes head. what were they thinking.

oh and i'll agree that the english Lloyd is just fine. pretty well done, actually.

I disagree

he definatly pulled it off well

could have been better but I think it was good
Chaos42

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
i agree it could have been better but i don't think its bad-this is why if i realy like somethign i buy the dvd so i can switch it around-also i can switch it if i have to do multiple tasks. one problem with sub is you have to pay close attention or you miss dialog with something you understand you don't have to keep looking and reading-not that i have anything against it i happen to read a lot.

I felt that the episode was well done all in all and that the translation is pritty good-based on what subs I've seen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 60