• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kaiba (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Yikes! That sure sounds mega annoying! At least you managed to get the most you could out of the episode.

Yeah, at least that. Though admittedly most of what I came to understand of the episode came from me reading some of the posts on here. Anime smile + sweatdrop But I did indeed definitely get the most I could out of it though, and I at least understand why it was such a good episode. Hopefully nothing like that happens in future episode though, I really, really want to love this series on the masterpiece level it really seems to deserve.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:25 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
Jedi General wrote:
Yikes! That sure sounds mega annoying! At least you managed to get the most you could out of the episode.

Yeah, at least that. Though admittedly most of what I came to understand of the episode came from me reading some of the posts on here. Anime smile + sweatdrop But I did indeed definitely get the most I could out of it though, and I at least understand why it was such a good episode. Hopefully nothing like that happens in future episode though, I really, really want to love this series on the masterpiece level it really seems to deserve.

Well, that's good then. I gleaned a bit from the discussion here as well. At least she didn't watch episode 2 with you, although it would have undoubtedly gone over her head.

Anyway, as a side note, I recently bought the Goblin Cat DVD of Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales. I watched the first episode Monday night and finished it yesterday. I loved it. I immediately dove into Mononoke and watched the first two arcs. Even better, although admittedly it was a bit jarring switching from dubbed to subbed like that. To borrow Ko-chan's phrase: Mononoke is an "instant masterpiece." Now I'm watching three masterpieces (Texhnolyze, Kaiba, and Mononoke) all at the same time. Maybe I should start on then Lain too. With any luck, it will make four. Very Happy

EDIT: Check out the Vanilla avatar. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
At least she didn't watch episode 2 with you, although it would have undoubtedly gone over her head.

Oh no kidding..... It probably would have gone over her head, yeah, but there was also still plenty in that episode that wouldn't have I'm sure.

Quote:
Anyway, as a side note, I recently bought the Goblin Cat DVD of Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales. I watched the first episode Monday night and finished it yesterday. I loved it. I immediately dove into Mononoke and watched the first two arcs. Even better, although admittedly it was a bit jarring switching from dubbed to subbed like that. To borrow Ko-chan's phrase: Mononoke is an "instant masterpiece." Now I'm watching three masterpieces (Texhnolyze, Kaiba, and Mononoke) all at the same time. Maybe I should start on then Lain too. With any luck, it will make four. Very Happy

EDIT: Check out the Vanilla avatar. Cool

Well, good to hear you're liking it. Smile It's kind of funny though, since I'll be following some of those same series you mentioned soon (ordered Lain on Monday! Very Happy And with more extra lawn mowing money coming in soon I might be able to make a push for Tex as well) and more than likely will have them as Masterpieces myself, and Ko-chan seems like she'll be doing the same. Though since I've already seen Mononoke I can still say I'm watching 4 masterpieces myself with Kure-nai in the mix, although I can't help but think that maybe I'm giving that one a little too much credit......

Definitely an awesome avatar, btw. Cool More promotion for the series is always good. Smile
Jedi General

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the comment on my avatar.

BrothersElric wrote:
[...] there was also still plenty in that episode that wouldn't have I'm sure.

True enough. Guess it depends how mow mature of an 8-year-old she is. Of course, you know her better than I ever could. Wink

BrothersElric wrote:
(ordered Lain on Monday!)

Cool Now the both of us will be able to participate in Ko-chan's Lain thread whenever she gets around to making it. As for Kure-nai: Wow, you really must love that show a lot to rate it masterpiece. I have it at excellent right now (which may be a tad high) because it's been just so darn enjoyable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
True enough. Guess it depends how mow mature of an 8-year-old she is. Of course, you know her better than I ever could. Wink

Yeah, not very actually...... About your average 8 year-old.

Quote:
Cool Now the both of us will be able to participate in Ko-chan's Lain thread whenever she gets around to making it.

Well, that's the idea. Wink Also the Tex thread as well, which I also believe she said she'd make.

Quote:
As for Kure-nai: Wow, you really must love that show a lot to rate it masterpiece. I have it at excellent right now (which may be a tad high) because it's been just so darn enjoyable.

Well, I personally think there's more going for the series than just the characters, but you're right, the characters do pretty much drive the series (as I read your latest post in the Kure-nai thread). I just think the characters are just that great, and that little extra push that the rest of what's going for it, added the fact that I think it's just that much better than Spice and Wolf, which I rated Excellent. I don't know though, it does strike me more as an Excellent-esque series. Maybe it takes droping Spice and Wolf down to Very Good, but I don't know if that series deserves that! Anime dazed So confusing, the ways of ratting series!

Anyways, maybe we should try and get this back on topic a little more? Anime smile + sweatdrop
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Due to various playback issues I've only just managed to start getting this series watched. Did episodes 1-4 one after the other this evening in one sitting.

This anime is amazing. There are a number of superlatives I could reel off to describe it, but I'm gonna stick with good ol' amazing. It's blown me away so far.

I've been a Madhouse and Masaaki Yuasa fan since watching Mind Game, and Kemonozume is one of my all time favourites. So I already had pretty high expectations from Kaiba, all of which (I'm pleased to say) it has been able to meet. The opening sequence itself is a masterpiece. The music is so wonderfully fitting. Every frame looks gorgeous and the colours are rich and full. The story has just the right balance of oddness, suspense and humour.

I really thought Kure-Nai was going to be the pick of the spring releases but Kaiba has enchanted me. I've not been this eager for new episodes of an anime to be released since...well, Haruhi I guess.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I almost dropped this due to the art after a few seconds. I fast forwarded through the first episode to see if there was anything redeeming.. I stopped because I was having problems figuring out if the main character was topless flatchested girl or just a girly guy so wanted to hear the voice and I happened to stop on the memory chip swapping scene, got intrigued and am now four episodes in.
What does bother me is that any interesting female characters seem to be summarily written off before the end of the episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I almost dropped this due to the art after a few seconds.

Y'know, it's odd... I have some friends with similar tastes to my own, and I recommended Kemonozume to them. It has the same free form art style as Kaiba (obviously, due to the same director/studio). They were instantly turned off by it.

I guess it's one of those things. It's certainly different to 90% of anime out there, and that's part of the appeal to me. A common theme through all Masaaki Yuasa anime, once you get over the art style, is the fact they all have very strong stories. I'm glad you chose to stick with it, not surprised that it was a plot device that hooked you in

Smile
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Steve Berry wrote:
Also, the animation was very vivid in this ep too, a little scratchy and flamboyant-- reminded me a bit at times of "I Married a Strange Person!". Oh, and the sound that is being used when Kaiba is in the stuffed doll is wonderful-- so muffled and distant, much like Kaiba himself. I'm eager to see them follow up on the little glimpse of memory he has at the end of the ep that Vanilla triggers.

This was an auteur animator solo episode. Yuasa seems rather fond of these, since this is the 3rd one-person-animated episode to show up in his TV directing career. The animator was Michio Mihara, the same guy who animated all of Kemonozume #12 on his own. I loooove his style and sense of timing and movement, and you're right, Steve--it's very Bill Plympton-esque. I think "vivid" is definitely the correct word to describe his animation. He's an animator who truly knows how to breathe life into the characters he's drawing. From a visual standpoint, episode 4 was by far the strongest IMO. I could tell straightaway it was going to be a solo episode, and reading the write-up on Anipages confirmed my suspicions. I hope to see some more familiar names in future episodes.

In broader news, a friend of mine was chatting with Peter Chung at a screening event last week and it turns out he's crazy about Kaiba as well. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I get a little bit giddy every time I see a new release of Kaiba... It's been some time since I've so eagerly anticipated new episodes for an anime Smile

Due to horrendous de-sync issues, I'm only halfway through episode 5, but is that an Andy Warhol reference over yonder? spoiler[Cool designer working from a place called 'The Factory'...]

I must admit to disliking Vanilla at first, but his devotion here is touching Wink

Hopefully I'll get the rest of the episode watched soon. The OP is in perfect sync luckily, it's one of the few OPs I'll watch in whole for every episode.

(Edit: Desync sorted. Another wonderful episode.)

Last edited by dirkusbirkus on Mon May 26, 2008 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
episode 5 was really good. not only was it well animated, but we finally got a big plot development. spoiler[i wonder if this means Kaiba is royalty, or is he even more powerful than that]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Loved episode 5. This series has really been quite impressive visually, and this episode was no exception. The final moments concerning the statue really have me intrigued about the remainder of the series too.
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:16 pm Reply with quote
If the bodies that people no longer use spoiler[are turned into food], what does Patch use to make the bodies he designs?

Kaiba continues to be as entertaining and visually imaginative as always with episode 5 and I can't wait to finally learn more about Warp. I'd also like to know who the animation directors are for each episode because the style of animation is noticeably different in many of the episodes.
dirkusbirkus

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:21 pm Reply with quote
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
...because the style of animation is noticeably different in many of the episodes.

I really picked up on this during episode 5. With the other episodes, there was so much to look at, I didn't see the differences, but straight off the bat you could tell with this episode.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
dirkusbirkus wrote:
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
...because the style of animation is noticeably different in many of the episodes.

I really picked up on this during episode 5. With the other episodes, there was so much to look at, I didn't see the differences, but straight off the bat you could tell with this episode.

I noticed this also. Episode 4 had a noticeably different style as well. I find it marvelous that it can remain so impressive even with the differences in animation directors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9