• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Speed Racer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monsieur Pink

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
@JesuOtaku It's been quite a while since I've read the book and even longer since I've watched the anime, but I remember most of it. One thing about the adaptation I really didn't like was how they portrayed Gérard de Villefort (almost felt like a comical bad guy), I mean in the book I kinda liked him (yes he's an ass, but he just felt a bit more human and spoiler[the part when he realizes just how much of a criminal he was and wants to forgive his wife and her to forgive him, but]... damn, I was shaken to the core), actually I feel similar for most of the villains. And the side-character and their stories (like Luigi Vampa, my favorite) are just infinitively better in the book (well, some of them get more time to develop too), also I disagree with what you said about the young generation, I personally believe they were a lot more realistic in the book; they actually acted like French nobles for instance. And of course the book has a lot more depth, back stories and interesting subplots (and frankly the anime butchered the vengeance, which was the best part of the whole thing). Also the characters, they might be more sympathetic in the Gankutsuou, but I don't want sympatheticness, I want flaws and selfishness, real humans for god sake (does Albert even has bad qualities in the adaptation)!

And I don't approve of how they removed all the yuri-ness surrounding Eugénie and her (girl)friend. Rolling Eyes FACE IT THE ANIMU SUxORZZZ!!!11!

PS: Though, I will admit that the suave moments of the count in the anime are kick ass!
otaku_gal

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
at first i did'nt think the movie was all that good(mostly the cast) but iv'e read the reviews and now i sooo wanna see it!!!! Very Happy
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I just saw the movie, and I was amazed. It was fun, exciting, and vibrant. The exact type of silliness for a live-action cartoon, which is just what it felt like. I have a feeling negative reviews came from people who just took it far too seriously. It's stupid and flashy and makes no apologies for it. It really nails the Speed Racer formula of camp and moralizing. An excellent time was had by all (me).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Monsieur Pink wrote:
@JesuOtaku It's been quite a while since I've read the book and even longer since I've watched the anime, but I remember most of it. One thing about the adaptation I really didn't like was how they portrayed Gérard de Villefort (almost felt like a comical bad guy), I mean in the book I kinda liked him (yes he's an ass, but he just felt a bit more human and spoiler[the part when he realizes just how much of a criminal he was and wants to forgive his wife and her to forgive him, but]... damn, I was shaken to the core), actually I feel similar for most of the villains. And the side-character and their stories (like Luigi Vampa, my favorite) are just infinitively better in the book (well, some of them get more time to develop too), also I disagree with what you said about the young generation, I personally believe they were a lot more realistic in the book; they actually acted like French nobles for instance. And of course the book has a lot more depth, back stories and interesting subplots (and frankly the anime butchered the vengeance, which was the best part of the whole thing). Also the characters, they might be more sympathetic in the Gankutsuou, but I don't want sympatheticness, I want flaws and selfishness, real humans for god sake (does Albert even has bad qualities in the adaptation)!

And I don't approve of how they removed all the yuri-ness surrounding Eugénie and her (girl)friend. Rolling Eyes FACE IT THE ANIMU SUxORZZZ!!!11!

PS: Though, I will admit that the suave moments of the count in the anime are kick ass!

Okay, I'll cut you some slack. You make some valid points, but let's agree to disagree. I will say that you're right, the Count's "vengeance" for each character...well, I don't think it was BUTCHERED, or even that different at all, but the alterations weren't as perfect in their vengeance as the original's. And...Villefort lost his sympathy points, yeah. He gave them to Fernand. Wink

Albert has bad qualities. He's naiive, (duuuuh) volatile, judgmental, occasionally quite selfish, and very stubborn. But he's pretty sparkly in the book too, he just has a far more minor role, so...yeah.

And personally, I PREFERRED taking the yuri away from Eugenie and her maid and shifting the gay introspection to the other two roles in the book that were made FAR larger in the anime: Peppo and Franz. I thought it made both characters, ESPECIALLY Franz, way more interesting, and making Eugenie whiny, bitchy and disconnected from every character except Andrea as she was in the book wouldn't have helped much. Meh. Just opinion...

.....Wait. You're from Quebec? Can you read that book in French? I envy you. I always thought it would be cool to be able to read the novel in its original language as any language beauty or merits are lost in the English translation and the novel is more known for intricacy of plot.

AND NOW I SWEAR I'LL STOP GOING OFF-TOPIC. (Go Speed Racer, Go Speed Racer, GO!!! I'll be renting you eventually...)
wizardz199

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Take it for what it is. A first time American movie based upon a 1960's anime. Dont expect the matrix just because it is made by the Wachowski brothers. It was good for a first time attempt at a anime live action (American) remake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6