• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Questions about Digimon and Naruto

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
I have 2 questions about Digimon and Naruto:
1. In Digimon Season 1, Tai and Sora were the lead male and female. Like with other series (even ones that aren't anime), the lead male and female often have a romantic connection. But with Season 2 [spoiler]Matt is who ends up dating and marrying Sora. I even personally asked Jeff Nimoy. the writer for a lot of Digimon on his MySpace group Jeff Nimoy Experience, about this with this post:

"Hey, Jeff, regarding the failed pairing of Tai and Sora at the end of Season 2, since they were almost an item in the original season, fans thought they would be together. But then the next season has Sora dating Matt. Regarding Toei’s pairing of them in the first season to the point fans believed this was the pairing and later they wouldn’t be paired, could this be labeled something like false advertising?".

Jeff said: "I would say it was definitely disappointing and a case of false advertising. I hated that she went with Matt. She should’ve been dating me the whole time (but now I have a bigger crush on Yoshi {the hottie from Digimon: Data Squad who is voice by Sora's English voice, Colleen O'Shaughnessey, who is also noted for

Another thing I often wonder is about Naruto. Traditional samurai and ninja anime series will have swords. But in Naruto, the only major characters who have swords are Orochimaru, and Shippuden's Sai and Sasuke. Do they have a thing against having swords being wielded kids 12-13 in part 1 and Shippuden?
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:16 am Reply with quote
Re: swords

No, it's just not a samurai story. It's about ninja who rarely use swords.
sj21

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, i am well informed about japan and a kid in ancient japan would start training for a samurai at age five. So i don't think its about having 12 and 13 year old's weilding swords. But if you watch the gosenkugi mini arc and the cursed warrior one you might find some cool stuff. and same goes for the ther dude that replyed- its not a smurai story and ninja only used tanto's.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Matt married Sora????!!!! I had no idea. I was so sure it was going to be Tai and Sora together....... Man. Look at me getting all excited about this and I haven't even seen this show since the third season aired on Fox Kids.
abynormal

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It is universally agreed among fans that the ending to Digimon 02 was total crap and is generally ignored. Yamato becomes an astronaut? Please.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Well, I haven't heard the American dub, but in the latin American dub, Tai actually spoiler[sort of lets Sora go]. And eh, it could have been worse, you know. Anyone can change what they want to be or not, so I think there's no use in discussing this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AnimePrincessAki13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I was personally more of a MiMato fan, not a YamOra but whatever. I think that Matt and Sora go good together.And does anyone know who TK marries? I thought it would've been Kari. ((I'm still completely in love with most of the Digimon Series (Even V-Tamer) except for Data Squad))
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The only pairs shown as being married in the ending are spoiler[Matt & Sora (though in the English dub they are not explicitly said to be married, for some reason) and Ken & Miyako/Yolei (who are said to be married, according to the English script).]

I personally love Sorato and constantly get a kick out of people whining that she was supposed to be with Tai. I never got that impression from the first season, because there wasn't really any romance going on in that one.

And yes, the English dub has the scene where Tai spoiler[let's Sora go after finding out that she has a crush on Matt (in the episode A Very Digi Christmas).]

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
AnimePrincessAki13 wrote:
I was personally more of a MiMato fan, not a YamOra but whatever. I think that Matt and Sora go good together.And does anyone know who TK marries? I thought it would've been Kari. ((I'm still completely in love with most of the Digimon Series (Even V-Tamer) except for Data Squad))
According to Wikipedia, it is unkown who his wife is.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I think the ending of 02 was supposed to be more realistically "your dreams change as you grow up" driven.
For example, while most fans rage about the fact that Yamato became an astronaught instead of a musician like we wanted, its is actually true that most kids who go through highschool thinking "Man, wouldnt be awsome to be a rock star?" dont make it and choose something else to do.
Similarily, people dont generally end up marrying the girl they had a crush on back in elementary school. So I belive that this is the point the ending of 02 was trying to get accross. As you grow up you honestly dont know what kinds of changes your desires and dreams are going to take.

Also, @ AnimePrincessAki13:
What do you have against Data Squad?? Im a huge Digimon fan, adore all five seasons (four was the worst but still good). My favourite season is Adventure, and 02 is home to my favourite anime character of all time (The Digimon Emporer), but from a perspective of quality and engagingess (not a word, I know) Savers is probably the best done out of all of them! If I was going to try to introduce a non-Digimon-fan to Digimon, Id start with Savers. I see it more as a tribute to the original seasons then a continuation anyways.

Last edited by Eruanna on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Also, @ Animastryfe:
What do you have against Data Squad??.

It was AnimePrincessAki13 who didn't like Data Squad/Savers, not Animastryfe.

I think Savers, from what I saw of it, was a pretty neat series. But Adventures and 02 will always be my favourite, because I was so attached to the characters. I never really got into the later ones because I was upset not to see the faces I was familiar with.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Eruanna wrote:
Also, @ Animastryfe:
What do you have against Data Squad??.

It was AnimePrincessAki13 who didn't like Data Squad/Savers, not Animastryfe.

I think Savers, from what I saw of it, was a pretty neat series. But Adventures and 02 will always be my favourite, because I was so attached to the characters. I never really got into the later ones because I was upset not to see the faces I was familiar with.

Oops! zomg, thats embarasing. Ill fix it.
Anyways, I used to be the same. I would say things such as
"I am a big Digimon fan, but only of the first two seasons, the rest of them are stupid!"
Then one day I was bored and started watching Tamers, and I was like, "Hey. This isnt so bad after all."
The kids from the first two seasons will always be my favourites, but really, the others are good too, and any Digimon fan would be missing out to skip them. Consider it this way; if Tamers, Frontier and Savers, where all different shows, NOT Digimon, anyone who liked Digimon would also like them. Theyd be all like, "Hey, heres another cool show thats kinda like Digimon that I like as well as Digimon!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1