• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Viz Signature Line Now and the Future

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryusaki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I too am wondering if REAL will be part of the line or not.

Then we have the Vagabond VIZBIG editions going to be realesed.
Will it still be under Signature as a sub-label?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
I think we deserve some more titles for this line.

Seriously.

I dearly hope more of Taiyo Matsumoto and Inio Asano's stuff is licensed; some Daisuke Igarashi and Bokurano (if the anime adaption were brought over by, say, FUNimation) wouldn't hurt, either.

ryusaki wrote:

Judging by the cover art, I'd say so.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
driverstart wrote:
I think we deserve some more titles for this line.

Seriously.

I dearly hope more of Taiyo Matsumoto and Inio Asano's stuff is licensed; some Daisuke Igarashi and Bokurano (if the anime adaption were brought over by, say, FUNimation) wouldn't hurt, either.

Personally, I'm hoping that Viz will put out Kaiji Kawaguchi's A Spirit of the Sun/Taiyo no Mokushiroku in the future. I thought that the TV special was really good, so here's hoping that it gets licensed someday.

Bokurano would be really nice, too. I only watched the first two episodes of the anime, and I thought that the concept was really intriguing. However, time and priorities on other series put the viewing of that one on haitus. I'd be more willing to continue the series in manga form should it be released, especially with what I heard regarding the alterations in the anime.

HellKorn wrote:
ryusaki wrote:

Judging by the cover art, I'd say so.

Well, isn't this interesting! I thought that Real would just be a part of their regular line. Guess we have another definite title for the Signature Line now!

I ended up not picking up The Drifting Classroom in March, and I didn't pick up Monster Vol. 11, since I couldn't find a mint copy at a discounted price. So one of my goals for May is to finish Drifting Classroom and to get Vols. 11 and 14 of Monster during Anime North.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:51 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
Personally, I'm hoping that Viz will put out Kaiji Kawaguchi's A Spirit of the Sun/Taiyo no Mokushiroku in the future. I thought that the TV special was really good, so here's hoping that it gets licensed someday.

Before doing other Kawaguchi manga, Viz should release Eagle under their Signature label; any release of Eagle in America is pretty much rare nowadays and I wouldn't mind reading it.

I think something like Ashita no Joe would be a great Signature title, but since it's a Kodansha manga I doubt Viz could even license it.

And to go truly out there, I think Nobuyuki Fukumoto's Akagi series (Ten and it's prequel Akagi) would fit in perfectly with the Signature line... Mahjong is not for the younger audiences.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Before doing other Kawaguchi manga, Viz should release Eagle under their Signature label; any release of Eagle in America is pretty much rare nowadays and I wouldn't mind reading it.

I really like the Eagle manga but I can't see it being re-released any time soon. For one thing, there probably isn't a huge market for political drama manga (though I don't know how well it sold for Viz the first time round) and for another, what felt fresh and contemporary in the Clinton era already feels like a historical document 10 years on (and in the aftermath of 9/11 and the Bush II administration) - it's very much a product of its time.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:

I really like the Eagle manga but I can't see it being re-released any time soon. For one thing, there probably isn't a huge market for political drama manga (though I don't know how well it sold for Viz the first time round) and for another, what felt fresh and contemporary in the Clinton era already feels like a historical document 10 years on (and in the aftermath of 9/11 and the Bush II administration) - it's very much a product of its time.

Yeah, that's the problem with some political drama's: they might be based around the time they were done in. Still, there's no doubt Eagle would be a perfect manga for the Signature line.

I certainly would be extremely happy if something by Fukumoto was picked up for Signature, though... Ten, Akagi, or even Saikyo Densetsu Kurosawa... Though Kurosawa might have a better chance than Ten and Akagi (Kurosawa was from the same magazine as Monster, and is not about something as niche as mahjong).
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
I certainly would be extremely happy if something by Fukumoto was picked up for Signature, though... Ten, Akagi, or even Saikyo Densetsu Kurosawa... Though Kurosawa might have a better chance than Ten and Akagi (Kurosawa was from the same magazine as Monster, and is not about something as niche as mahjong).

I think Master Keaton would be my choice for the Signature line but I doubt it will ever happen. Confused
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

I think Master Keaton would be my choice for the Signature line but I doubt it will ever happen. Confused

Oh, yes, that sounds like something I would want for the Viz Signature line-up myself. The only thing by Urasawa that I want more is Pluto. Its still serializing in Japan right now and there's currently 5 tankoubon (unless they updated that). I find it almost hard to beleive that the same guy made Yawara! sometimes.
Oronae

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Master Keaton can't even get republished in Japan itself at the moment thanks to Urasawa acting like a jerk about how large his, now deceased, co-author's name is printed compared to his on the cover.
driverstart

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Normally this would be the point where I would annouce new titles for the signature line, but there is none this month which sucks.

It's nice to see that everyone is coming up with suggestions for new titles for the signature series. I would for sure love to see Pluto get release and seeing Master Keaton would be pretty good too. Though I would like to see a release of Happy by Naoki Urasawa. I've read some of it online and I've been just pulled in by this series. I would so love seeing this series being release in America period, but I have doubts that anyone would pick it up.
Althalus

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Oronae wrote:
Master Keaton can't even get republished in Japan itself at the moment thanks to Urasawa acting like a jerk about how large his, now deceased, co-author's name is printed compared to his on the cover.

Interesting. I didn't know that.

What I do know is that "Pluto" is in a similar situation, at least where foreign rights are concerned. Some kind of disagreement with the Tezuka estate. We won't see any non-japanese editions until that get's solved.

~Althalus
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Why are so many of the signature line series rather difficult to find? I have never seen a volume of Drifting Classroom in any comic book store in my life, but somehow my local library got volumes 1-4. Now that I think about it, I've seen this problem overall with Viz, I've never seen Banana Fish or Phoenix in a normal bookstore either (although I have seen them in a few privately owned comic shops). I always see adds for "Sexy Voice and Robo" in some of the books, but I've never seen that in a store either. Is Viz purposly making it difficult to get these mangas or something?
At least Monster is easy to find (at least in America), for now...
animatum

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
They are very hard to find. Its a pain.
cenorig

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
Okay, it has already been asked a couple of times in this thread, but since no one has replied, I'm asking it again: What's the difference between Vagabond 2nd and 1st edition?

Except the price, naturally. Some bookstores have the first release containing ~240 pages and the second one ~200, like in other later volumes. Is my info incorrect or did they cut out something or edited the story (40 pages seems way too much for an edit and the "Mature content" warning is still there). Or did the older one contain some extras or artwork...

So has anyone had the chance to compare the 2002 releases with the newer ones?
Help appreciated.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I have never read a 2nd edition copy of any of the first 4 volumes, but to my knowledge they're the same as the initial releases save for the outward presentation. The first volume was just unusually thick, which isn't all that uncommon for manga series in general. Now that I think about it, the paper may have been heavier for the initial editions (it certainly feels that way) but I wouldn't get too worried about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10