• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Have you ever tried advice given in an Anime series?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jozoiscute

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:15 am Reply with quote
In one episode of Sgt Frog, Keroro suggests that cleaning windows and mirrors with newspapers prevents smudges.
I tried it with my local paper, and....
....Keroro was right!!!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Have you ever done anything similar?

[EDIT: Fixed a -> an in thread title.~Zalis]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:45 am Reply with quote
Heh. I already knew that trick.

But I learned a lot about improving the quality and varying the taste palettes of sauces and curries by reading Addicted to Curry (fine manga, highly recommended).

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Ed from Cowboy Bebop taught me to follow strange men.

...I'm never taking her advice again.
Mylene

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit to doing this once out of pure desperation. I was driving home from the grocery store and was stuck in traffic. I had nothing to drink in the car, and I got a really bad case of hiccups, which were terribly painful (as they always are with me--very violent things, hiccups). After 15 minutes of agony and trying to fix it by holding my breath, I began trying out Azumanga Daioh solutions. Surprisingly enough, pulling on my tongue did seem to help. If anything, it served as enough of a distraction to get them to stop! I've used it in later situations where water/holding breath didn't work to varying levels of success, but when I truly needed it, AzuDai came through for me. ^_-
Cloe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
"Your life is the result of your own decisions." This is the pervasive theme of Mind Game (it's even sneaked surreptitiously into a throwaway shot in the film--0:33) and I've kind of adapted it as my personal mantra. I try to keep this thought in the back of my mind as I begin to make major life decisions and try not to keep a back seat in the progression of my own life. It's actually helped me acquire a surprising amount of focus and resolve in situations where I've had to make tough choices and I'm thankful that it's there to help me out and provide me with a teensy bit more of personal strength.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I may not have taken any explicit advice from any of the series I've watched, but I've certainly taken discussions from within anime into the real world.
After watching the first episode of Lucky Star I asked most of my friends if:
a) spoiler[They were always capable of eating the last bite of an ice lolly]
b) spoiler[They liked to force ice cream down the cone to prevent themselves being left with nothing but a dry cone afterwards]
and
c) spoiler[They would eat the strawberry atop a slice of cake first or last.]

Interestingly enough, most people said they would consume said strawberry half way through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
But I learned a lot about improving the quality and varying the taste palettes of sauces and curries by reading Addicted to Curry (fine manga, highly recommended).

- abunai

Cool another Addicted to Curry fan! I absolutely love the series and I kept mistaking the main character for Onizuka early on.

Anyways as for lessons I've learned from Anime I've learned from harem Anime that guys (in general, not necessarily applying to every guy as I don't want to offend anyone) are complete idiots when it comes to relationships and that includes myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Red Lotus
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Air gear: You have wings so go fly (haven't tryed)
Naruto: A man can become truly strong when they need to Believe It! (found that out killing the script writer)
Bleach: If you dress in black and carry around a sword monsters attack you. (tryed that monsters came and shouted something like "Police" i just ran away faster)
Claymore: Chicks are scary. (already knew)

so far trying out advice hasent worked too well for me.
Idea I know ill try Priest's (manga) advice
skyfishing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I've learned from YUGIOH that if i wait patiently enough and believe in the heart of the cards i can usually win a game of hold-em.... usually i rely on the patience thing more often though. i have been told im a slow playing conservative dlck though.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
skyfishing wrote:
I've learned from YUGIOH that if i wait patiently enough and believe in the heart of the cards i can usually win a game of hold-em.... usually i rely on the patience thing more often though. i have been told im a slow playing conservative dlck though.

Yeeeah. Pokemon taught me that you can sing "I'm gonna be the very best" and save the world from evil corporate thugs and superpowered megalomaniacs all you want, but it won't mean jack-squat in a tournament and you'll still be dirt poor. "No good deed goes unpunished!" Laughing

No, seriously. I let this guy in front of me in the car line out of school, and he zipped on through the light, while I was held back to wait ten minutes for the buses to get out, which I had to lag behind all the way home. Grrrrr...should've passed him up.

Last edited by JacobC on Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
skyfishing wrote:

Yeeeah. Pokemon taught me that you can sing "I'm gonna be the very best" all you want, but it won't mean jack-squat in a tournament. Laughing

At least you'll lose while singing a cool song. Razz

(Ah, for the days when 4Kids' openings were much improved over the originals...)
Ultenth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
I've been meaning to drill my way to the heavens, I really should get on that soon. Also, I tried clipped my nails while wearing new shoes and eating, right before going to sleep late at night. I don't care to talk about the events of that evening and the next day again Crying or Very sad

Also, wasabi bread may not mold, but it sure tastes like crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
monkeyinalamborghini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
In one situation I did what I thought Onizuka would do and at least I got to meet Chris Hansen.
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:37 pm Reply with quote
I've attempted to take Shinku's advice to Nori in Rozen Maiden on how to properly make a cup of tea depending on the type of leaves, but I don't have a way to take the temperature of the water so I'm pretty sure I'm butchering it still.
abynormal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
When eating sushi, I always take Riya's advice from Akazukin Chacha and start with the egg. It always whets my palate.

I need to kick caution to the curb more often, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3