• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
do you think anime has influenced new hollywood films?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofibee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:04 am Reply with quote
im doing an anime question for my A level media corse work and would love if you could suggest you views on my question.

do you think that new animated films have taken influence from anime films in the style and themes? feel as free as you like to write what you think as any information from an anime audience is usful to me.

thank you
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
Not even a little bit.
Xicidal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:04 pm Reply with quote
yes... They both influenced each other.
One example I can think of is kill bill.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote
sofibee wrote:
im doing an anime question for my A level media corse work and would love if you could suggest you views on my question.

do you think that new animated films have taken influence from anime films in the style and themes? feel as free as you like to write what you think as any information from an anime audience is usful to me.

thank you

Quite a few Hollywood films have been influenced by anime, but not really the animated ones. Alternatively, some American animated shows were influenced by anime (like Avatar) but not the major films.
About the closest thing to that is the fact that Lasseter is a huge fan of Miyazaki.
TsC_BaTToSai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
well, he said new animated films...kill bill isn't animated. What came to my mind was things like Finding Nemo and Shrek...and I don't see many anime elements there...Maybe you could make a case that Beowulf has some anime characteristics, but still its weak.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Does Speed Racer count? Razz
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I was gonna make some snarky comment about The Lion King (Y HALO THAR KIMBA) but then I remembered that you could probably do an entire paper just on The Matrix and how its over-the-top action is very much like the dynamic style of anime. I don't know if it was the first of its kind, but it was definitely a turning point in the idea of "HAY Let's copy those insane super violent Japanese action cartoons" and I think you can see how a lot of Hollywood action movies since then have applied that style.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
I was gonna make some snarky comment about The Lion King (Y HALO THAR KIMBA) but then I remembered that you could probably do an entire paper just on The Matrix and how its over-the-top action is very much like the dynamic style of anime. I don't know if it was the first of its kind, but it was definitely a turning point in the idea of "HAY Let's copy those insane super violent Japanese action cartoons" and I think you can see how a lot of Hollywood action movies since then have applied that style.

The Matrix is not animated. Read the OP.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:06 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:
Patachu wrote:

Just add "Ani" to "Matrix" and there ya go! But that probably wouldn't fully count.
zhir

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
zhir wrote:
Patachu wrote:

Just add "Ani" to "Matrix" and there ya go! But that probably wouldn't fully count.

It's not Hollywood, and as the directors were all anime directors, I wouldn't even call it American. It's more of a mix of the two.
retty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as most Hollywood animation these days is all done on computers and 3D style, I can't really think of any way anime has influenced the art. Also our animated movies tend to be aimed at young children, and so they're about talking animals frolicking about, whereas even when anime does have talking animals, it tends to be a lot more serious.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
zhir wrote:

My bad, I got confused by people mentioning Kill Bill and Speed Racer. Razz

I think most Hollywood animators are aware of it, but they haven't yet figured out how to integrate the style into animated feature films. The influence shows up more in TV shows that have been doing "anime style" the past several years.
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:43 am Reply with quote
I WISH! Have you seen the shlock that gets passed off on kids as "animation" lately? Just check out the latest Barbie Princess gag fest. Sure, there is still stuff like Shrek and Ratatouille that has some class, but even those movies look weak to me compared to a lot of anime. My kids prefer Miyazaki to Disney.

I agree with Retty that most US animation is still aimed at children. We had a rash of adult oriented animated movies back in the day with things like Heavy Metal and American Pop, but that trend kinda died out. Maybe Beowulf, Clone Wars and Ani-Matrix will bring it back, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 am Reply with quote
TsC_BaTToSai wrote:
well, he said new animated films...kill bill isn't animated. What came to my mind was things like Finding Nemo and Shrek...and I don't see many anime elements there...Maybe you could make a case that Beowulf has some anime characteristics, but still its weak.

Part of it is animated but that's actually anime not influenced by anime
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
samuraiwalt wrote:
TsC_BaTToSai wrote:

Part of it is animated but that's actually anime not influenced by anime

Well it was animated by Production I.G. and the violence wa done in a very Japanese style.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2