• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favourite anime genre

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:03 am Reply with quote
I looked pretty thorough and didn't see one on this, odd. But anyway so whats your favourite anime genre-horror, action, romance what.

I love action. To see all the gunfire slashing swords things getting blown up. bloodshed. Its so cool. I love all shounen jump series and in action like samurai, sci-fi, anything in the catagory but my favourite is samurai. I love when they have powers too. Using a sword is much cooler than using a giant robot to me.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
No real preference in genre. Most series that I tend to watch blend more than 1 genre together (i.e action comedies, romance dramas, romance comedies) so I have no real preference. As long as a good story is told or if it manages to entertain me at what it does its all good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kelly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:27 pm Reply with quote
As Ichigo pointed out, there seem to be very few anime which belong to only one genre - it's a matter of which genre is most prominent.

I myself have always been a fantasy fan. I like dramedy too, but unfortunately very few seem to actually show up here in Region 1.
niku²

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:59 pm Reply with quote
If I had to pick only one, I'd go with action. I like my blow-em up shows. However, like the others I really don't have one particular favourite genre. I like watching a wide range of things, so I try to watch whatever is "good," regardless of genre.
mokuhazushi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty hard into high school romances right now, and luckily for me there have been some good ones like ef ~ a tale of memories and true tears recently (both have really good acting and characterization, and a refreshing lack of obvious cliches).

But I also like good SF like Ghost In The Shell (and Macross Frontier is looking pretty good), the occasional ecchi harem show, and anything else that looks interesting and creative (though I'm not much or a horror fan).
Lee1981

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:19 pm Reply with quote
In general, I like horror and sci-fi animes and most of the animes I like fall under the seinen demographic and I usually like darker series.
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Lee1981 wrote:
In general, I like horror and sci-fi animes and most of the animes I like fall under the seinen demographic and I usually like darker series.

I agree with the whole darker series. I like to see those series that kinda laways have a dark look.

But just a couple o' minutes ago i was watching tactics. I relized that i also like the series like tactics that are fun to watch, like happy, but then they get serious, that really makes a series work out good.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
In my case if something doesn't have any romance, it has to have been exceptionally well received by critics to be on my "want to see" list.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
*Toujo*

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
I also don't have a particular preference when it comes to anime genre. I like all kinds. I have gotten interested in some romance/comedy lately like Marmalade Boy and To Love-Ru. I don't care if its a new or older anime. It just has to interest me...

I generally don't watch much Mecha, but not on purpose. Rolling Eyes
Yaranzo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:42 am Reply with quote
Action, no humor, just hard-core action! Thats why my favorite one is Claymore, I love seeing blood in animes!
Claymore
Ishmoo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:24 am Reply with quote
To me it matters more whether or not the story is good than what the genre is. I'm all over the place with what I watch. I Love horror like Gantz, Blood+, Mononoke. Romance like Kare Kano, LovCom, Bokura Ga Ita. Suspense like Ghost Hound, Monster and Death Note. Mecha like Eureka Seven, Eva and Full Metal Panic. Cyber Punk like Ergo Proxy and Texhnolyze. There's really no genre I DON'T like. There are so many terrific animes out there to watch that I could never commit to a single genre. I don't want to miss out on anything really exceptional so I tend to listen to everyone's suggestions and check it all out.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
I have two preferences to anime genres. One is action. Guns, explosions, the works, and good looking bad ass women are probably another factor that comes to mind (Black Lagoon). Second one would be comedy. There's always times when I could use a good laugh to sometimes forget the troubles I have in life, and this genre is a good one for letting me do that. Right now I like Lucky Star as my lead comedy anime.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
I'll watch just about anything, but I've always loved the action genre in general, and more specifically cyberpunk. Basically, if there are explosions, guns, swords, and martial arts straight out of any given wuxia film, sign me up. Still, I'll try anything with a good story, and I do like a nice girly romance or psychological thriller every now and then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'm all over the place in my tastes as well, as I SAY that my only criteria is a good story and good characters, but...

I seem to be drawn to a lot of action shows with psychological mindrapings in them. I don't know why. Is that bad? Wink
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
The only genres I avoid like the plague are Yaoi, Hentai, Shounen-Ai, you know stuff like that. Other than that, I'll watch stuff from pretty much any genre.

My favorite though definitely being within the realm of Shounen. And no, not just because of the hip/cool fighting/action or whatnot (allthough that part's not bad either Wink ). My biggest reson for loving the shounen genre so much is mostly because of just how much sheer heart these series have. I think they have a powerful message to them, and it's a message I think is something that's vital and important to everyday life. I just can't get enough of the stuff. Anime smile + sweatdrop

My least favorite, though not outside of the realm of my likings by any means, would definitely be within the shoujo or slice of life genres. Now I don't mind a slower pace of a series, in fact there's actually quite a few slower paced series in my top 25 favorites. I'm just not one who's much for girly romance or high school drama or whatnot. Usually it takes a good fantasy or psycholoical storyline of some sort to capture my interest within these genres. Otherwise I'm pretty unlikely to watch anything from them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2