• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Dragon on CN

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C0DE Tokyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:35 am Reply with quote
Hi everyone! I recently just started to get into watching Cartoon Network again and it's great to see we have a new series in the lineup this time around. Now, I didn't know much about Blue Dragon other than seeing a brief gameplay session of the game back in 2007; the game was lacking a bit gameplay wise considering the Xbox 360 had other major games going for it at the time, but hey that's another story. I had the chance to watch the first two episodes and I thought it was pretty alright, well for kids that is. But hey, if you like to keep in touch with your "inner child" now and then, or just a fan of Akira Toriyama, then I'm sure you're in for a treat.

So has anyone else had the chance to check out the series? What is your impression of the series so far and do you see yourself keeping up with the series as it is being broadcasted on CN? I know I'll be around to stick it out. I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone. Thanks and see you soon!
sj21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:46 am Reply with quote
I thought it was very good... but I hated the mech designs. they sucked, they were like transformers animated Mad Mad Mad. But overall the first two episodes were good and i will continue to watch it.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't planned on watching Blue Dragon up until it actually premiered, because I had heard a lot of carping about how generic and stupid it was. The promos presented Toriyama artwork, which reminded me of the glory days of DragonBall but also of the tedium of endless fights and plots that are stretched out beyond all measure. But when the premiere day rolled around and I had nothing better to do, I thought "Well WTF, right?" I gave Blood+ a chance despite having been sick and tired of vampire anime by the time it showed up, and that turned out to be worthwhile. So why not give ol' man Akira a chance to entertain me?

Well, I'm glad I did, because Blue Dragon turns out to be a great addition to the Toonami lineup. Sure, sure, it doesn't have the grand and high-minded themes of the best Adult Swim programs, but it's FUN. It had won me over by the middle of the first episode, when Shu and company try to determine who the great warrior in town is by hitting everyone on the head with sticks. It feels like a return to form: all the humor and whimsy that Dragonball had before the gold auras came into the picture, while at the same time a rich fantasy environment and a compelling- if somewhat cliche- adventure story. The action scenes are distilled to the core concepts, becoming an outlet to explore the character's personalities. This means that they enhance the narrative rather then competing with it for screentime. The characters are also very distilled, with their motivations right out in front and nothing complicating their straightforward personalities. You'd think the simplicity would be a problem, and it may well be somewhere down the line. But at present it winds up being to the story's advantage since we don't have to go into flashbacks and reams of backstory to understand them.

Probably most important, however, is that it's working the fantasy angle, which is unique these days. It occurs to me that it's been a long time since we've had a good straight-up swords and sorcery anime. The last one I can think of is Slayers- most everything else has been steam-punk or science fiction in disguise. (Well, there was Orphan, but that was so dull that I abandoned it after the first disc.) But Blue Dragon manages to have the old spark, the mystery, enchantment, and adventure that still resonates with fantasy fans.

Here's hoping Blue Dragon sticks around, and doesn't get banished to early A.M. by Loki the Scheduler.
braves

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Going into it, I had the same mindset that you had; I had nothing better to do so I might as well give it a chance.

It feels like a redone Dragon Ball, which isn't a bad thing. I'll keep on watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sj21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:17 pm Reply with quote
to start off, i liked it for the most part. I just hated the mech designs. I don't know what they where thinking. But also, i think its only two seasons.
Zivil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Pretty much the same feeling here... but at 7:30 am before the caffeine kicks in there's not much else going on Smile And, yeah, I was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to have more depth than I was expecting. Okay, not a whole lot of depth, but more than the kiddy show I was expecting it to be.

The humor caught me off guard, too. As mentioned earlier, when Shu(?) was running around whacking local guards in the head with a stick, reasoning that if they were true Knight Masters then he wouldn't be able to hit them. Yeah, simple slapstick, but I liked the Three Stooges, too.

I was never a fan of DBZ and was fully expecting something similar. The artwork makes me think of a cross between DBZ and One Piece and the mechs remind me of the Sonic the hedgehog cartoon (Right Back At Ya?), so that was kind of disappointing. But overall, I'm kind of liking the character designs (especially the pirate girl), and I am hoping their personalities continue to develop and keep the story interesting.
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
i saw an episode or 2, i played and beat the game and was sort of disappointed at the fact that none of the voice actors from the game did the voice acting for their character in the anime with the exception of Zola.
C0DE Tokyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, there's already a Blue Dragon thread for discussion on the CN broadcast. Please merge the two threads to save space for different topics. Thanks in advance and it's good to see some people stick with the series.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
C0DE Tokyo wrote:
Hey guys, there's already a Blue Dragon thread for discussion on the CN broadcast. Please merge the two threads to save space for different topics. Thanks in advance and it's good to see some people stick with the series.

Whatever the mods want, but that thread has already scrolled off. Doesn't seem to be much point.
C0DE Tokyo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Whatever the mods want, but that thread has already scrolled off. Doesn't seem to be much point.

There's no need to dismiss the thread just because it "scrolled off". By merging the two threads it sparks discussion and saves space for newer topics, not to mention helps avoid duplicate threads. I hope this is more than enough to be a valid point.
sallyxi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
It sounds strange about the name,BLUE DRAGON!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1