• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shonen Jump or Newtype?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B-rian96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I may like shonen jump the most but after reading replies I changed my mind. Newtype may not have any entertainment exept the dvd it is used as an anime news mag but for anime. So now i'm almost neutral Neutral

Last edited by B-rian96 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:36 pm Reply with quote
WHAT!!! Newtype is way more helpful than shonen jump even though i love shonen jump. Evil or Very Mad
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
First of all, those two magazines have different purposes: Shonen Jump is a compilation of manga, while Newtype is mostly for news with only about one manga serialization at a time (I think). They have completely different purposes.

Second of all, you should probably think more before making new threads.
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
um.. you can still watch the dvd's in the car uh hello portable dvd player. Idea
B-rian96

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
that is somthing i said before i edited it sj21.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
B-rian96 wrote:
I may like shonen jump the most but after reading replies I changed my mind. Newtype may not have any entertainment exept the dvd it is used like a newspaper but for anime.

Or you could say it's like an anime magazine (instead of a newspaper). It's more of a "feature" publication than something that tries to get the latest news. SJ would be more of an anthology, or a collection of stories.

I personally liked the information-based NTUSA over SJ, but as said earlier, it's hard to compare the two when they're clearly made for different purposes.

Animastryfe wrote:
...Newtype is mostly for news with only about one manga serialization at a time (I think).

This is often mistaken, but Newtype USA was actually a feature magazine rather than a news magazine. Their only news was in the front in the Express section. I guess it's really no big deal, but I'm picky and am annoyed when people say it's slow to get the news out, when it's clearly made to feature anime/manga/video games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animastryfe

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:26 pm Reply with quote
"This is often mistaken, but Newtype USA was actually a feature magazine rather than a news magazine. Their only news was in the front in the Express section. I guess it's really no big deal, but I'm picky and am annoyed when people say it's slow to get the news out, when it's clearly made to feature anime/manga/video games."

Ah, sorry. I knew that about Newtype, I guess I used the term "news" unacceptably ambiguously there.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Animastryfe wrote:
Ah, sorry. I knew that about Newtype, I guess I used the term "news" unacceptably ambiguously there.

Yeah, it's really just an unconscious thing so a lot of people don't even realize it. Like I said, I'm just being picky so you don't have to worry about it. It just gets me when people use that as an argument against NTUSA or are just plain misinformed.

Anyway, is it really even OK to compare two magazines, where one isn't even being published anymore? I know there are still back issues, but it seems a little weird. Unless the OP is talking about which idea was better overall (even though they are derived from Japanese counterparts) or s/he just so happens to be thinking of Newtype (Japan, as I did not add the "USA" in the title). But I doubt it's the latter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1