• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Studio Ghibli

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quote
What do you think of stubio ghibli? I love miyazaki's works, my favorite is spirited away. I love it because the emotion and the beatiful art and the amazing characters. I love Haku. Who's your favorite characters. Haku's really cool and how he has that curse. The coolest part is when Haku changes into a dragon.

I can't wait for Tales From Earthsea thats by Goro Miyazaki, the legendary Hayao Miyazaki's son. I saw two parts of a battle. Definitaly looks sweet, just like a different princess mononoake.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I really love Miyazaki's works myself. Princess Mononoke is my absolute favorite animated movie ever (along with Jin-Roh). Even if I don't find some of his movies to be masterpieces, like Howl's Moving Castle, I still greatly enjoy them and love watching them with friends. I like how Studio Ghibli is sticking with the traditional animation style, which is my favorite style. I'm currently in the process of collecting all of his movies.

I STILL need to see Grave of the Fireflies I admit (please don't hurt me)!
thousandfold_perception

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Totoro was my first and favorite. No other cute fuzzy animal character can even compare. Plus I love the dust bunnies.

I've been looking foreward to Tales of Earthsea as well, though apparently it is less like the original series then Le Guin had expected. Still cool.
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
cool, i plan on getting the 20 disc(alot for like 165$) Ghibli studio set. Then i can watch all my favorites.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh my, I am not going to enjoy writing this and many people will probably end up mad at me, I apologise and fetch a shield, but an opinion was asked.
First, I should start by saying which things by Ghibli I have seen:
Nausicaa VotW, Castle in the Sky, MN Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Spirited Away, Howl's MC, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's DS (I think that's all). So, its a good enough selection to have a valid opinion (I beleive).
Second, my opinion is that I do not think too highly of Ghibli or Miyazaki. Its not the animation style that bugs me (I'm not wowed by it either and the fact that a lot of people seem to be missing noses certainly annoys me, but its ok I suppose), the music doesn't bug me (It's actually quite good), and its not the Disney logo or voice overs. I just don't see a whole lot of point to the majority of Miyazaki or Ghibli stories. I find them boring at best and laughable/tedious at worst. In the case of Mononoke, I found the story ok, but the whole 'save the planet' theme obnoxious. I really just can't stand to watch these movies because I don't ever seem to latch on to the characters or storyno matter how much I want to. I see that the movies have a very high budget on the animation, but then I feel that the stories are just too weak in the movies I've seen.
Third, I beleive that *activates sheild* Studio Ghibli has made the worst film ever made, anime or not. I'd rather not say what movie it is, it would just make people more made at me. Suffice to say, I cannot stand this movie and I cannot understand why everyone adores it (or in most cases simply think very very highly of it).
In conclusion: I do not like Miyazaki or Ghibli. I used to like it back when I first started watching anime, I will admit, and now I don't know why I watched some of them anyway.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Like Disney stuff they're hit or miss with me. I really like Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Lupin the 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro, and Whisper of the Heart for instance. I also thought Howl's Moving Castle, Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and Porco Rosso were also passable but not as good. Then there was Only Yesterday which bored me to tears and was incredible uninteresting to me.

One reason these kind of movies fluctuate with me is that I'm not really the "family movie" type. They're offen incredibly cliched and predictable. I prefer things with a higher level of complexity and maturity or at the very least something that makes me laugh.

Last edited by Kruszer on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
sj21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
its ok. Thanks for the honest opinion. some of i dont like. And besides i like to see what people think and how every otaku differs.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:24 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa: Actually, I think your opinion is ok, I disagree partly with you, because I have only seen 3 Ghibli movies, but I think no one should be mad at you because you think a certain movie sucks...
I'm guessing it's Grave of the Fireflies, even though I haven't seen it, it might be so emotional that people are easily enraged.

Back to topic!

I personally like the Ghibli films I have seen (Nausicaa, Mononoke and the Moving Castle) very much. They remind me of earlier times (And I'm saying this with 17. Yeah.), they are fantastic - like, fantasy - and original. They have this emotionality that goes to my heart without being overly dramatic or cheesy. Additionally, I like how Miyazaki presents female characters, something that he feels very important (He stated that in an interview).
I think I could watch Mononoke at an age of 30 and still like it, even if I don't watch Anime anymore. It just rocks.

PS: I loved that movie and rated it 9/10?? Stupid me Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
@ Labbes
Very good guess with which movie I cannot stand above all others.
The thing that annoys me about it is that spoiler[I feel that all the suffering the kids feel is brought on upon by they themselves. I felt the boy made a whole slew of extremely stupid decisions. What is most people's least favorite character was my most liked here, the aunt. I felt she was realistically made at the boy for doing nothing but playing with his sister all day and not helping out anyone at the house by doing anything, then the boy has the gall to complain about rice rations. By the end, I had determined the world was better off without them considering the foolish decisions the boy had made in my opinion. I was enraged yes, but at the pure stupidity of descions made by the main character who then appeared to complain about said decisions and not at their plight.]
retty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Oh my, I am not going to enjoy writing this and many people will probably end up mad at me, I apologise and fetch a shield, but an opinion was asked.
First, I should start by saying which things by Ghibli I have seen:
Nausicaa VotW, Castle in the Sky, MN Totoro, Whisper of the Heart, Spirited Away, Howl's MC, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Kiki's DS (I think that's all). So, its a good enough selection to have a valid opinion (I beleive).
Second, my opinion is that I do not think too highly of Ghibli or Miyazaki. Its not the animation style that bugs me (I'm not wowed by it either and the fact that a lot of people seem to be missing noses certainly annoys me, but its ok I suppose), the music doesn't bug me (It's actually quite good), and its not the Disney logo or voice overs. I just don't see a whole lot of point to the majority of Miyazaki or Ghibli stories. I find them boring at best and laughable/tedious at worst. In the case of Mononoke, I found the story ok, but the whole 'save the planet' theme obnoxious. I really just can't stand to watch these movies because I don't ever seem to latch on to the characters or storyno matter how much I want to. I see that the movies have a very high budget on the animation, but then I feel that the stories are just too weak in the movies I've seen.
Third, I beleive that *activates sheild* Studio Ghibli has made the worst film ever made, anime or not. I'd rather not say what movie it is, it would just make people more made at me. Suffice to say, I cannot stand this movie and I cannot understand why everyone adores it (or in most cases simply think very very highly of it).
In conclusion: I do not like Miyazaki or Ghibli. I used to like it back when I first started watching anime, I will admit, and now I don't know why I watched some of them anyway.

Most of the Ghibli films I've seen I felt like that about. The ones like Kiki's Delivery Service, I found boring and pointless. But at least up until Earthsea all the films I'd seen had had coherent, easy to understand plots, whereas that one was awful. There's never yet been a Disney film I'd call 'great', although I did enjoy Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle.

I'm not sure exactly what age range Ghibli targets but I see very little in them for children. The stories often too mature for an under 10 to understand properly. They don't have any of the fun and inspirational qualities of Disney movies, many of which I have on DVD and have watched again and again even at the age I am now (20) which I really couldn't do with Ghibli films. And when I talk about what's inspiational I mean things that would be influential to a 6-yeal-old, colours and music etc. It's more subtle in Ghibli's films. Sorry to compare them to Disney like everyone else, but you know, it's the obvious comparrison.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
@ retty
Yeah, I stil watch the good Disney movies every so often too (on VHS or DVD), like Beauty and the Beast for example and I'm around your age (19). I compare Ghibli to Disney because at least in America, several Ghibli movies are released and dubbed by Disney (Spirited Away, Kiki, and Castle I beleive are all 'Disney' releases).
I personally still have quite a soft spot for children's shows and games from time to time though (I have a good 100 hours on Pokemon Diamond and Pearl for a recent example), and I do like children's anime (recent ones that come to mind are 1980 and 2003 Astro Boy), so its not that I'm completely out of its demographic, I just don't like Ghibli.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
retty wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what age range Ghibli targets but I see very little in them for children. The stories often too mature for an under 10 to understand properly. They don't have any of the fun and inspirational qualities of Disney movies, many of which I have on DVD and have watched again and again even at the age I am now (20) which I really couldn't do with Ghibli films. And when I talk about what's inspiational I mean things that would be influential to a 6-yeal-old, colours and music etc. It's more subtle in Ghibli's films. Sorry to compare them to Disney like everyone else, but you know, it's the obvious comparrison.

Taking the example of Nausicaa (Or even Mononoke, though I felt that one was a little more brutal), I don't see how it differs a lot from The Lion King - in a good way. Comparing these two is kind of harsh, because Lion King is much, much better, imo, but the only big difference, I feel, is the lack of music in Nausicaa and the fable-like setting of Lion King.
However, both Disney and Ghibli seem to face the problem that their newer films aren't as popular - to exaggerate the comparison, maybe those two companies are doing more or less the same thing, only on different parts of the earth? Very Happy

@classicalzawa: I'm sorry that I can't read what bugs you about the movie, but as soon as I have seen it, I will read it Smile

PS: Another thing Ghibli and Disney share is the enormous quality of their synchronisations. Wonderful.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="retty"]
classicalzawa wrote:
I'm not sure exactly what age range Ghibli targets but I see very little in them for children. The stories often too mature for an under 10 to understand properly.

Hayao doesn't look down on 10 year olds like some people do. Not that you do. Of course Miyazaki himself says that Princess Mononoke shouldn't be watched by anyone below the 5th grade level.

Quote:
They don't have any of the fun and inspirational qualities of Disney movies, many of which I have on DVD and have watched again and again even at the age I am now (20) which I really couldn't do with Ghibli films.

Opposite for me (also 20). Disney has the most advanced traditional animation of anybody in the world, but I can't stand the whole talking animal thing anymore. Ghibli movies do some of this, but not as much. I also can't stand SINGING in movies anymore. Live-action or animation, I don't like characters suddenly breaking out into song. I also feel Ghibli movies have a little more intelligence in them, not that Some Disney movies don't, like the Lion King.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:58 am Reply with quote
I am one who has liked the Ghibli films, and would like to see more of what the studio has to offer. My favorite would have to be Spirited Away, as its blend of Western and Asian culture continues to mesmerize myself and my family as well. I also enjoyed Nausicaa as well as Princess Mononoke. There are a couple of titles I have yet to see, but will be looking into seeing them later on.
zhir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
@ Labbes
Very good guess with which movie I cannot stand above all others.
The thing that annoys me about it is that spoiler[I feel that all the suffering the kids feel is brought on upon by they themselves. I felt the boy made a whole slew of extremely stupid decisions. What is most people's least favorite character was my most liked here, the aunt. I felt she was realistically made at the boy for doing nothing but playing with his sister all day and not helping out anyone at the house by doing anything, then the boy has the gall to complain about rice rations. By the end, I had determined the world was better off without them considering the foolish decisions the boy had made in my opinion. I was enraged yes, but at the pure stupidity of descions made by the main character who then appeared to complain about said decisions and not at their plight.]

You can't really say it's a poor movie because of that though, it's mostly based on a true story written by the boy who spoiler[didn't die in real life. Apparently he thought he deserved to die, because he, like you, thought it was largely his fault.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3