• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
A Question about Pokemon...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCloud62

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
My question is: What the hell happened?

I apologize, but I must rant. I mean, the first season was brilliant, and had substance. Orange Islands was good, and the first half of Johto had some substance, too.

Now, it's just 'Ash & gang find rare pokemon, Team Rocket tries to steal said pokemon, Ash gets mad, Pikachu or rare pokemon saves the day, OMG TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN, yay yay yay we're setting off again'.

I mean, come on!!! What the hell happened?!?! The girls had substance too! Now every girl is a coordinator! Come on, is there ANY girl who actually WANTS to be a Pokemon Master like Ash! The characters have no depth anymore--so...does anyone notice what I've noticed? Just wondering.
Jih2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
What more should be expected of a TV series aimed at children (10 and under or so)?

My experience with Pokemon has always been that the characters are one dimensional and usually lacking in depth, the dialogue is typical of the genre and is awkward and corny, and things like Team Rocket showed up every episode exactly on cue. It was never made to do more than give children something to watch that was fun and had plenty of paraphernalia for them, or more likely their parents, to buy.
countchocula86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Now, it's just 'Ash & gang find rare pokemon, Team Rocket tries to steal said pokemon, Ash gets mad, Pikachu or rare pokemon saves the day, OMG TEAM ROCKET'S BLASTING OFF AGAIN, yay yay yay we're setting off again'.

Isnt that the formula for every episode?
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The pocket monster series is an advertisement for merchandise.Did you just realize you've been watching the same scene play out over and over throughout several generations?Ash(Satoshi) will never progress in his quest and there will always be more monsters to capture.Until the money runs dry,Nintendo won't stop.I couldn't stand the cheesy morals at the end of every episode as well as Team rocket always blasting off again.You are right though,the writing has gotten much weaker.

I like the old school RPG's format that the Pokemon series still uses.Cheap and effective and kids are still buying them.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
ShadowCloud62 wrote:
I apologize, but I must rant. I mean, the first season was brilliant, and had substance. Orange Islands was good, and the first half of Johto had some substance, too.

To tell you the truth, I never found any of them to have much substance lol (have seen around 300 episodes of Pokemon). If you want something with substance and depth, play the games (particularly the amount of depth is incredible when it comes to competitive battling with other real players, don't say I didn't warn you about that though lol).
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
i enjoyed the original pokemon and the series after the original 150 but i was around 10 years old at the time. after that it all went down hill. lol
r-18

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
Pokemon was good for about 3 episodes. then it was like ok team rocket shows up now and now they go off again, it's not bad to kill some times by catching an occasional episode as the production values are ok and it's not too dumb to watched casually.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
ShadowCloud62 wrote:

But if you notice most of the movies that pokemon has, Team Rocket usually isn't part of the problem, and aren't really bad guys. And alot of times they don't "blast off again" at the end.
sailornyanko

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I still enjoy the series, but I do agree the production values went downhill at the Hoenn season (the games still rock though), the typical person the show is aimed at are children, they wouldn't notice the difference.

I would have enjoyed if the series were more darker and more serious even if it were a spinoff ova season. I'd actually like to see characters die. There's so much wasted plot potential by just keeping it at the status quo.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:32 pm Reply with quote
sailornyanko wrote:
I still enjoy the series, but I do agree the production values went downhill at the Hoenn season (the games still rock though), the typical person the show is aimed at are children, they wouldn't notice the difference.

I would have enjoyed if the series were more darker and more serious even if it were a spinoff ova season. I'd actually like to see characters die. There's so much wasted plot potential by just keeping it at the status quo.

Viz released a manga series of pokemon that was darker than the Anime.The Pocket monsters actually fought.It's still really good.I never kept up with it though.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I got into it as a sophomore in HS when it just started airing in the US on syndication before getting picked up by the WB. (It was the episode where ash runs into the samurai kid with the bug pokemon). I remember buying the game and the GBP soon after, and getting into intense arguements over the high level pokemon controversy (149 level evolved psyduck - whichever one that was). Funny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1