• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Magic: The Gathering Teases Final Fantasy Set

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
It's funny seeing "Kefka Palazzo" but "Gastra" instead of "Gestahl." Razz
Stinkabod Lamé

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It's not bad-looking art and the characters still look recognizable.
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The product page on MTG's site has also revealed the card names for the Lightning ("Lightning, Army of One"), Emet-Selch ("Emet-Selch, Unsundered"), and Tidus & Yuna cards ("Together Forever") (Source: https://magic.wizards.com/en/products/final-fantasy).
The Tidus & Yuna card has the same name as the existing card "Together Forever" (Source https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=446000), so it will be the first time this card has received alternate art in any of its reprints.
Mune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I also think Square-Enix forgets that they already have their own Final Fantasy TCG, that has been around since 2016, with 23 sets and counting. It plays very similar to MTG.

The claim they made of "This set also features the largest collection of Final Fantasy artwork ever in a single game" seems misleading, if not completely wrong. If it is original art, I could maybe see it.

However, there has been some speculation if some of the art is AI assisted or AI generated. I'm not opposed to this, but there are many out there that either condemn or praise this type of thing.

While I no longer play MTG, I feel like this crossover hype has been very positive for MTG, FFTCG, and the Final Fantasy games in general. It is bringing to light that they exist to audiences that may have not noticed the other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1