• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2.5 Stage Play Production Market Reaches Record High in 2023

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 3:15 pm Reply with quote
In the year when the Oshi no Ko anime covered its arc regarding such types of play. Amusing.

I wish I could've seen the Macross one.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 8:35 pm Reply with quote
The Hikaru no Go musical earlier this summer was really fantastic, even though you wouldn't think a board game could be made into a play, let alone a musical, and I'm ridiculously excited to go see the No.6 musical starting next week (it's streaming online for opening night and closing night, so if you're clever, you can watch it from overseas too!).

So glad more and more of these stage plays are coming out. It's a great way for older pieces of media to get a revival. HikaGo ended 20 years ago, and the shows were still consistently full or sold out.
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 6:21 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I was sure the only suitable theater in Japan (the one featured in Oshi no Ko) was closed last year. How do they make them when?
Anne F

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:42 am Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:
Hmm, I was sure the only suitable theater in Japan (the one featured in Oshi no Ko) was closed last year. How do they make them when?

Lol There are tons of theaters across the country where shows can perform. While most 2.5D shows probably stick to Tokyo or do Tokyo and another prefecture, there are many theaters in those areas. Not every show performs in a big theater too.

Musical Touken Ranbu is currently running a show where they are visiting 9 prefectures. Theaters aren't the only place for performances. Using Musical Touken Ranbu for example again, last year they performed at Fuji-Q and in 2016 at Itsukushima Shrine. Also, a lot of shows have short runs like 2 to 4 weeks so theaters could book multiple shows pretty easily. Musical Touken Ranbu is one of the few shows that does multiple months depending on the show because it is wildly popular.

I'm really happy to hear that the industry is doing well. It was so heartbreaking reading actor blogs during the pandemic because they weren't getting the support they so rightfully deserved. I wonder if the numbers include livestream and live viewing (movie theater) tickets. I'm sure the productions have seen how much of an impact streaming has helped. I think most shows are doing a livestream now because of that. Avex has been doing streams for overseas fans once in a while. Sometimes with subs. I always buy streams for shows I'm interested in unless it's through pia or others site that requires a Japanese phone number for verification.

I'm always looking forward to seeing my favorite actors/actresses on stage even though it's mostly through streaming/dvds. I can't wait to see where the industry goes from here. With the success of the Attack on Titan musical in NYC, I hope we'll see more shows in the states and other countries.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 10:15 pm Reply with quote
2.5 Stage Plays looked really cool in Oshi No Ko!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1