• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Anime Backlog - Symphogear

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassgs435

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:32 am Reply with quote
All I'll say is that with the visual quality being a main complaint: the show improves that massively starting with season 2. You can look up clips in sakugabooru if you don't want to watch whole seasons. The first season is very much a passion project that couldn't gather much talent or production quality, so it's somewhat infamous for that. However, once japanese fans gave it enough success for more, they got some good staff involved in the show and the animation became really good.

I still love S1 for what it is, but can understand how the animation and art quality can be a turn off.
Essedess

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
"Final Verdict: Nah. "
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:57 am Reply with quote
I have no personal stake in the series, but I will say that nearly all the super-fans I am acquainted with will start-off by showing people the opening scene of season 3 to try to introduce the series to people. And having seen said scene, I would highly encourage even those who have no plans of watching the rest of the series to search up & watch "Symphogear GX Opening Scene".

Last edited by OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels on Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:15 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In a nutshell, Symphogear blends idol music, power armor, thinly-veiled yuri subtext, absurd plot turns, fanservice, and character designs that are very of their time.

It is my understanding that in the subsequent seasons spoiler[it's not subtext].
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
That's about right. I enjoyed all of Symphogear, and at the same time, I never felt like there was anything I could truly relate to or get emotional about. So much exists for superficial appearances; there's technically characterization, but without the characters making decisions that really impact the their ability to do the same crowd-pleasing fight scene most eps. There's "yuri", but only in the sense of the anime trope for people to enjoy as a fictional trope to their taste, nothing applicable to a lived emotional experience. Which all makes it feel especially detached when the show does try and get serious about, like, assault.

It's a fun show, but one that I don't really feel welcome in beyond that.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
OpenYourEels4TheNextFeels wrote:
Quote:
In a nutshell, Symphogear blends idol music, power armor, thinly-veiled yuri subtext, absurd plot turns, fanservice, and character designs that are very of their time.

It is my understanding that in the subsequent seasons spoiler[it's not subtext].

spoiler[ still is to the end. They come close, but nothing ]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Your ability to suspend your disbelief may be better than mine, but I was unable to genuinely connect with these characters.

Bizarrely, this may be why I felt the show got way better after the first season. Most of these sorts of shows start to suffer from character bloat each time a new magical girl gets added to the cast, but it turns out that doubling the cast size made each individual character’s lack of emotional depth much less of an issue for me. The less screen time each individual girl was given, the more I actually enjoyed the show as a whole.
q_3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I actually found the first season to be stronger than later ones just because it seemed more raw and unfiltered, the unhinged fever dream of its creators. Later seasons felt like they were compelled to be more commercial and corporate friendly. Also season one had the closest the franchise ever came to actually good character writing with Tsubasa's arc (note that I said closest, it never actually reached "good").

The beef stroganoff song is still the best though. The Autoscorers were also fun but weirdly underutilized.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I gave Symphogear a solid chance a few years ago and kinda felt the same way (so Lynzee's not alone haha). Just not really for me though I can see the appeal for others!
milkyy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately I will always associate this show with a former friend/roommate who told me this was his FAVORITE anime ever, but whose aversion to showering and also wiping his backside started to cause... sensory issues in the house. Being forced to watch the OP and various fanservice compilations while the stench of rot lingered over me is too strong an association to break unfortunately.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I loved the first season of Symphogear, but because of the aforementioned distribution issues, I didn't see it when it first came out. When I did watch it, I watched fansubs. Whatever faults it has, I must have glossed over them. It still has a place in my heart, and the show wears it's heart on its sleeve.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:23 pm Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
Quote:

spoiler[ still is to the end. They come close, but nothing ]

spoiler[I know that they don't actually kiss in the series. However, call me old fashioned, but I feel like Hibiki & Miku going to sleep each night under the same covers, despite the fact that their room has a bunk bed, goes beyond "subtext"]
bassgs435

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[I know that they don't actually kiss in the series. However, call me old fashioned, but I feel like Hibiki & Miku going to sleep each night under the same covers, despite the fact that their room has a bunk bed, goes beyond "subtext"]

spoiler[It’s subtext because they never confirm the relationship as romantic (compare to works like Magical Revolution or I Love the Villainess) and stay “super friends” officially ]
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 2:54 pm Reply with quote
This is the first item in the Backlog that I've never heard of.

It's nice to finally read this column with no sense of lingering guilt. I don't own this. I don't know anything about it (beyond what the column said). I have no remorse about not having watched it.

Yay!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1