• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Lord of the Rings: The War of the Rohirrim Could Pull it Off

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope the film turns out well!
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The Lord of the Rings is the rare property that is both one of the greatest novel and film trilogies of all time. Return of the King’s Oscar record is only matched by Titanic and Ben-Hur, two equally epic triumphs of cinema. And that is the writing of JRR Tolkien. This isn’t Tolkien. It’s barely an outline. And I don’t envy anyone involved in this as they stand in the shadow of greatness.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
The Lord of the Rings is the rare property that is both one of the greatest novel and film trilogies of all time...

I believe I would have really liked the movies if I was not familiar with the books (which I first read when Jerry Ford was president), but Jackson's unnecessary fan-fic additions/changes ruin them for me.

From the trailers, the same problem will apply to The War of the Rohirrim - it will be mostly fan-fic with invented matter that does not fit with Tolkien's ideals or the world of Arda.

Firefox spell checker wants to turn "Rohirrim" into "Hiroshima". Rolling Eyes
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
I believe I would have really liked the movies if I was not familiar with the books (which I first read when Jerry Ford was president), but Jackson's unnecessary fan-fic additions/changes ruin them for me.

I was very familiar with the books before I saw Jackson's films, and I still adored them. Did I agree with every choice he made? Not at all, but taken as a whole I can't imagine anyone doing a better job with them than he did. (Now The Hobbit, on the other hand...) I'm more apprehensive about this project given what I've seen, but at the very least I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.
Piglet the Grate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:04 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I was very familiar with the books before I saw Jackson's films, and I still adored them. Did I agree with every choice he made? Not at all, but taken as a whole I can't imagine anyone doing a better job with them than he did. (Now The Hobbit, on the other hand...) I'm more apprehensive about this project given what I've seen, but at the very least I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Watch Hobitit* which despite its shoestring budget (Finnish public television was not exactly wallowing in cash in the early 1990s) necessitating cutting the Rohan and Gondor parts out for financial reasons to see a better adaptation and story (tho rather dark and dingy looking compared to what Jackson could do with a relatively massive budget).

*Currently available on YouTube with English subtitles (probably made for broadcast in India), but I will not post the link since the channel does not appear to Yle TV1 owned (but there does not appear to be any currently licensed way to see it).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 12:47 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Watch Hobitit* which despite its shoestring budget (Finnish public television was not exactly wallowing in cash in the early 1990s) necessitating cutting the Rohan and Gondor parts out for financial reasons to see a better adaptation and story (tho rather dark and dingy looking compared to what Jackson could do with a relatively massive budget).

The best Hobbit adaptation to me is still the Rankin Bass animated classic. There's also the gorgeous Ralph Bakshi LOTR animated movie. But now I'm very curious to watch this.
nyaa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 3:09 am Reply with quote
I've seen a lot of previews for this and it looks fantastic-day one watch for me!!
TyroKith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 8:03 am Reply with quote
Saw a trailer for this film while we were waiting for MHA: You're Next to start. My wife and I turned to each other and said "I would watch that!" I hope it's good!
FishLion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2024 9:28 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I was very familiar with the books before I saw Jackson's films, and I still adored them. Did I agree with every choice he made? Not at all, but taken as a whole I can't imagine anyone doing a better job with them than he did.

Not just as an adaptation, but as an innovation in film. The effects, the scale, the make-up, it did so much that no other movie had done before and it really sells the fantasy of the adventure. Other fantasy movies had done great with what they had at hand but this was the first one I have seen that really made it feel grand and real.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:56 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Piglet the Grate wrote:

Same. And while I, too, don't agree with every change... many of the changes greatly improved the story. Giving Arwen a bigger role was pretty great, and even Faramir's heel-face-turn was worth it, imo, for enabling that great speech from Sam. It may not be the platonic ideal of a LotR adaptation, but it's pretty darn close.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1