• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Koei Tecmo Reveals New Venus Vacation Prism: Dead or Alive Xtreme Game for Early 2025

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:28 am Reply with quote
Well, considering in Steam game seems to be region restricted, safe to assume there will be no international release and the game will be on sale only for Japan and Asia like what happened to Xtreme 3.

Only six girls to choose (with most likely DLC comes in later) is the biggest letdown though, considering it's not even a half of DOAX3 roster and there are also more girls that came up introduced with VV (and the roster still keep increasing, last one was dropped less than a month from today), so there is literally zero room to pick outside of very obvious popular characters choices.
benzone

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 4:58 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, considering in Steam game seems to be region restricted, safe to assume there will be no international release and the game will be on sale only for Japan and Asia like what happened to Xtreme 3.

Only six girls to choose (with most likely DLC comes in later) is the biggest letdown though, considering it's not even a half of DOAX3 roster and there are also more girls that came up introduced with VV (and the roster still keep increasing, last one was dropped less than a month from today), so there is literally zero room to pick outside of very obvious popular characters choices.

I can understand region locking it back when it was a blatant fanservice game - meaning "the game IS fanservice" as opposed to "the game HAS fanservice - but now that it is a dating sim as opposed to an alleged beach volleyball game, why region lock it now? How is it different from the many other dating sims from major publishers that also have M ratings? The beach volleyball version sold well even when region-locked. Why change that successful formula for a dating sim unless being able to sell it globally again was the motivation?

Not that I was going to buy it either way, but I am just curious as to the business decision thinking behind it. My guess is that they would sell fewer copies of a global dating sim than they would a region locked volleyball game. But as the dating sim is going to be region locked too, that means even fewer sales.
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:11 am Reply with quote
I can’t believe it’s been two decades since the “she kicks high” commercial. *crumbles into dust and blows away*
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 1:15 am Reply with quote
benzone wrote:
I can understand region locking it back when it was a blatant fanservice game - meaning "the game IS fanservice" as opposed to "the game HAS fanservice - but now that it is a dating sim as opposed to an alleged beach volleyball game, why region lock it now? How is it different from the many other dating sims from major publishers that also have M ratings? The beach volleyball version sold well even when region-locked. Why change that successful formula for a dating sim unless being able to sell it globally again was the motivation?

Not that I was going to buy it either way, but I am just curious as to the business decision thinking behind it. My guess is that they would sell fewer copies of a global dating sim than they would a region locked volleyball game. But as the dating sim is going to be region locked too, that means even fewer sales.
There is no real business decision, it's only the outdated thinking of Koei that heavy leaning to fanservice games will be heavily criticized online (which of course proven false) and not sell well outside of Asian region (which again, also proven false).

And to think of it, this concerns not only DOA games, but the other Koei games as well such as Ciel/ArNoSurge remaster, which came out years ago on all available platforms but is still restricted from the sale in West.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Including Misaki, there will be six girls to date.

Two of the girls better be Honoka and Tamaki.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:39 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Two of the girls better be Honoka and Tamaki.
I have some doubts about Tamaki with that small number - but Honoka gonna be 100% in, she along with the Marie are popular crowd pleasers of modern DOA audience.

That already makes three along with announced Misaki, one more slot gonna be reserved by Kasumi as well as poster girl of DOA for long time while still retaining popularity - and that means we have only two wildcard slots that will be heavily, REALLY HEAVILY competed no matter what.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 5:57 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
I have some doubts about Tamaki with that small number - but Honoka gonna be 100% in, she along with the Marie are popular crowd pleasers of modern DOA audience.

That already makes three along with announced Misaki, one more slot gonna be reserved by Kasumi as well as poster girl of DOA for long time while still retaining popularity - and that means we have only two wildcard slots that will be heavily, REALLY HEAVILY competed no matter what.

Misaki, Honoka, Marie Rose, Kasumi

Last two?

Nyotengu and Ayane
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 7:22 am Reply with quote
Iirc the character roster will be an easy decision for tecmo.

Last time it was the girls who sold the most dlc, should be the same.now.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:42 am Reply with quote
Richmyster84 wrote:
Nyotengu and Ayane
And that's very doubtful, because while both being popular, Koei most likely think of them as DLC baits instead of including them in the base roster (especially Nyotengu, I totally can see that) - and with Ayane case, they can even ditch her completely as she not so much fits as much into date sim game and recently not get that much recognition as before (like AL collab with VV).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1