• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Nintendo Lays Down the Law

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
I’m pretty excited for Freedom Wars, since I never had a Vita.

Palworld was playing with fire; I’m not too shocked.
crh1985

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:39 am Reply with quote
I will have to see what they are targeting with there case

Is it a full violation (I don’t think so there is to much of a difference)

Is it a partial violation (i can see this as quite a few of the pals look similar to some pokemon.)

Or is it a spotting violation (yea i know this is probably there as many of the models are models from pokemon with changes afterwards, and yes this can still be a violation but most times will be settled outside of court as it can be spotty for both sides and can look good for the plaintive [aka Nintendo])
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am Reply with quote
crh1985 wrote:
I will have to see what they are targeting with there case

Is it a full violation (I don’t think so there is to much of a difference)

Is it a partial violation (i can see this as quite a few of the pals look similar to some pokemon.)

Or is it a spotting violation (yea i know this is probably there as many of the models are models from pokemon with changes afterwards, and yes this can still be a violation but most times will be settled outside of court as it can be spotty for both sides and can look good for the plaintive [aka Nintendo])

It's a patent lawsuit, not a copyright. So it's likely sidestepping all of that.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I feel bad for Pocketpair because even though I don't really like Palworld (and I do genuinely believe that they were doing the legal equivalent of going up to Nintendo and going, "Hey, is this annoying? I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you! Are you annoyed?"), I would have liked Palworld to get better. ...at the very least, it was made in earnest. It's just a shame they got so caught up in trying to stir controversy.

Yeah I feel that, it really seems like they got drunk on the controversy and spitefulness they were enabling of so many people, and now they're paying the price. Not to mention how high they rose in player count before their fad wore off.

I think it's also a shame that this all really only happened because of the state Pokemon Scarlet and Violet launched in. I adore those games, some of the most fun I've had with Pokemon ever, but at launch all people saw were a broken, buggy, mess of a game and it fueled the spite that led to people making such a stir about Palworld, and Pocketpair very obviously leaning into that and flying way too close to the sun. Wild what kind of knock-on effects some things can have.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're bummed out about Persona 5: The Phantom X, that Persona with the 40-year-old housewife who used to be a gyaru in her youth

....after what I said about the Dragon Quest slime the other week, I feel like I'm specifically being summoned here.

OMFG Persona, she better eventually become a playable party member! Is she navigator-only?

I want to point out that Persona has been in dire need of moving on from highschool for a while. Especially with the pseudo-adult relationships you could have in Persona 5, it felt really weird to be playing a (gender-locked) character that could only express themselves as hetero, but still be allowed to romance your teacher.

Eternal Punishment (Persona 2: Part 2) back on the PS1 was my first dive into Megami Tensei back in the day, and it follows actual adult characters that are of varying ages and walks of life and actually allows your party to go out drinking together. In fact, if you play Part 1 the game full-on allows the Part 1 main character to opt-in & be absolutely & openly-bi.

It's maddening as a classic player to see how much worldbuilding Persona 1 and both parts of Persona 2 contained, that has either been lost/discarded/restrained since Persona 3. It made sense to have finite time in Persona 3, and a highschool schedule fit that game's theme, but the weather system in P4 was a bit of a stretch, and by Persona 5 it felt like they were phoning themselves through the motions. I actually had a much more fun time with Strikers.

It's bananas to me that aged-up characters in Ultimax aside, Persona has a really awesome idea for an adult party character (she may only be a "navigator", it seems) that's not been seen since Persona 2, yet is only available in a side game developed primarily for mobile. I can only imagine where the series could potentially go if they had a gender-select main character that was once again free to romance anyone & worked at a black corporation.

Imagine an adult Persona game where you set your own schedule, have to submit to your boss' hellish work deadlines, choose to go drinking with friends at night or get sleep, or sign up for college classes at night to plan a better career. Pick and design your own schedule, date a younger guy just-starting college, date an older widowed mom and seriously grow closer as you look after her and her kid the way P4 had you be a responsible older sibling to Nanako.

Imagine playing a character in their thirties, romancing a mid-forties character that ages down in the metaverse, with a backstory that deals with the realities of aging, health, and using Persona powers to re-capture one's youth after starting a family. Tatsuya was just such a wild, emotional ride of a character back in the day, and he captured such a unique snapshot of a time in a person's life. I really wish they would explore characters like that again, taking party cast from Persona 1 in school that by Eternal Punishment were respected adults in society's working world.... and the consequences when you "slip through the cracks".

I'm dead serious when I say this - if Persona 5 X or even 6 hits consoles and lets me romance an older guy or lady like Kayo Toyama, I'm buying an entire PS5 for it. An older mid-forties character that ages down in the metaverse seems like such a brilliantly-unique idea for a Persona character. I get that it might be an audience demographic issue, but it's driving me insane when I love Megami Tensei and stuff like Rune Factory but I'm forced to play a character that looks like they still receive an allowance from their parents.
Uchay

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:16 pm Reply with quote
While I overall agree with everything you wrote, I do want to note that Shin Megami Tensei (1992) came up with the "monster recruit/capture" thing before the first Pokemon (1996) game came out, as different the overall execution is, so it'd be hella funny if Nintendo tried to sue Atlus for it Laughing

Dragon Quest 5 (1992) also did the monster recruiting thing first, too, but I guess Dragon Quest Monsters does lean into that way more and came out two years after the first Pokemon game.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Uchay wrote:
I do want to note that Shin Megami Tensei (1992) came up with the "monster recruit/capture" thing before the first Pokemon (1996) game came out, as different the overall execution is, so it'd be hella funny if Nintendo tried to sue Atlus for it Laughing

When the Digimon show first came out, Agumon always looked like a "discount Charmander" to me. Nintendo choosing to sue on patent grounds is baffling since most of what rubbed me wrong about PalWorld was how it looked like it scrambled various existing Pokemon assets to make its creatures. That's a copyright thing, no? That they're going after something to do with a patent is ominous, and I've always been against patenting game mechanics stuff to the point that it limits other creators from giving us something like Monster Rancher or Monster Hunter Stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1