• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Botuliform

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:30 am Reply with quote
Last night on Blu-ray, first three episodes of MM! and it is hilarious.

Whether it's Anna in Dirty Jokes, Mariya in Maria-Holic or Mio in MM!, Monica Rial seems to have a ball voicing naughty girls.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Here's a fun fact I just gleaned from my watch of Patlabor the TV series: Section 2's headquarters is actually built on a not very large man-made island that sticks into Tokyo Bay. Up until now, I have only seen shots of the building from ground level, usually facing forward, so I never realized it was on an island. The shot in episode 38 (is elevated so you get a clear idea of exactly how the building is situated on its piece of land. A causeway links the island to the mainland. I wish I could get a screengrab to post but of course I'm watching it on my Blu-ray player.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 3:00 am Reply with quote
I only have it on DVD but I think this is what you meant.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 6:47 am Reply with quote
Bingo! Thanks, Errinundra. As I say, previous to that shot, I don't believe we had any sense of how small the island was (or even that they were on one). We knew they were on the Bay, but I guess I aways assumed that they were part of the shoreline. In this same episode (where they become aware of the underground tunnel system), we learn they are on top of an old landfill site which explains why their island is man-made. And the fact they are on top of an old garbage site (presumably) is very Special Vehicles, Section 2.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:46 am Reply with quote
I was aware that they were on made land in Tokyo Bay, out in the back of nowhere. What I didn't realize until now was the causeway to an island. I think the location shows how they are treated by the rest of the police force. A combination of out of sight, out of mind and too dangerous to be allowed in central Tokyo. They do have a real propensity for collateral damage.

Looking at the screen shot I find it interesting that they included what looks like train tracks to a pier that sticks out to where a cargo vessel of some type could be loaded or unloaded. Also the abandoned spur of that track. I don't think that comes into play in the series, but the fact that someone drew it adds a bit of depth to the world.

One of the major themes of the series and the first movie is that the terrorism being conducted is in opposition to work on Tokyo Bay. Apparently they are trying to close the bay to the ocean and fill large portions of it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:57 am Reply with quote
@ Alan45 - I'm assuming that's the Babylon Project which has been mentioned a few times but is somewhat unclear as to what it actually is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 1067 of 1067