• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Belladonna of Sadness Art Book Crowdfunding Campaign Launches

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kraz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:55 am Reply with quote
The original drawings were lost, they're using AI to upscale/clean pictures of the 4K remastered version to recreate them.

The first crowdfunding is for recreating the artworks from the film data, the rewards are artworks signed by Kuni Fukai, not an art book.
The second crowdfunding will be the actual artwork book.

Even through Google translate, the kickstarter at motion-gallery is interesting to read, Cinelicious Pics lent him the 9 terabytes theatrical data...
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:27 am Reply with quote
What confuses me about the art book is that one already exists, albeit out of stock. When Anime Limited first released the blu ray collector's edition a decade or so ago they included a limited number of leftover stock they managed to get access to as part of a first-come-first-serve pre-order initiative. I picked up a copy with the bd set for £35. Damn, AL releases were so much cheaper back then.

https://www.alltheanime.com/products/belladonna-of-sadness-a-companion-book-to-the-1973-japanese-anime-cult-film

Now granted, other than seeing on screenshots, I haven't actually checked out the contents as the book is still sealed, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea how it will differ from the planned ks version? Will there be new content, or are the images simply being cleaned up as a re-release?

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kraz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:34 am Reply with quote
As the art book is planned for the second crowdfunding, I have read the current crowdfunding page and I don't remember any mention on a number of artworks they will produce or what he would like to do for the book (size, number of pages, or anything)

Quote:
Fukai-sensei was a popular illustrator in the 60s and 70s, and still has a loyal fan base, but for some reason, he is approaching 90 years old and does not have a single collection of his art.

He doesn't seem to acknowledge the companion book, maybe because it has English text ?
I have found someone quickly scrolling through this book on instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/p/C_t6vKkS5-F/?img_index=10
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1