• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is anime based on manga worth watching?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jockrose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:44 am Reply with quote
Will anime do better than manga?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2024 7:34 am Reply with quote
This is a couple of overly broad questions. Realistically the answer will depend on which manga/anime pair you are asking about. However I'll see what I can do.

Is anime based on manga worth watching?

Short answer, Yes. Generally speaking if you enjoy the manga you will probably like the anime. You should at least give it a try of a few episodes. Look at this way, the manga gives you the story and art work including character designs. The anime adds movement, voices, color and music. Every once in awhile you will have an anime that fails in some respect, poor adaptation, poor animation etc. But that is rare.

In any case you have to keep in mind that the vast majority of anime is based on existing source material. Nowadays that includes manga and light novels and most of the light novels have an earlier manga adaptation. In the recent past it was mostly all based on manga. It you refused to watch anime that is an adaptation you would have very little to watch.

Will anime do better than manga?

Again a really broad question which will vary by individual cases.

Generally, no. Since the anime version is usually intended to advertise the manga it will have to be a faithful adaptation. This seriously limits the anime's ability to exceed either the story or art work of the original. If the manga is very action heavy, the anime has a potential to improve on the action sequences. The question is complicated by the fact that they are different media. Some people simply prefer the anime version and are reluctant to read the manga. Others prefer the manga. The manga usually goes on well beyond the end of the anime which complicates the matter.

TLDR: it depends on which anime/manga you are asking about and who you are asking.
mangaguy10k

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2024 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you refused to watch anime that is an adaptation you would have very little to watch.

This. But I do understand the sentiment of adaptations being corny because we've all seen Tokyo Ghoul.

Try to find a consensus on which adaptations did a good job.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 7:05 am Reply with quote
@mangaguy10k

In my experience, almost all anime adaptations are well done. It might be easier to list those that fail as adaptations.

Consensus is not a good word to use when discussing the evaluation of artistic works. Unless something is truly, horribly bad (or extremely good ) you will not get a consensus opinion. There are always others who will disagree with you whole heartedly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1