• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Longer Allowed in Another World (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:50 pm Reply with quote

No Longer Allowed in Another World (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 10 volumes by Hiroshi Noda)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Atelier Pondarc

Genres: adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy, psychological

Themes: dark comedy, dark fantasy, demi-humans, ecchi, elves, gore, isekai, medieval, monsters, satire, sorcery, suicide

Plot Summary: A second life in another world with cute girls by your side and video-gamey powers--sounds like a dream. Not so for a certain melancholy author, who would quite literally rather drop dead. Honestly, all the fantastical adventure is just getting in the way of his poetic dream of finding the perfect place to die. But no matter how much he risks his hide, everything seems to keep turning out okay.

Air Date & Platform:
July 9, 2024 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Aug 15, 2024 3:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:03 pm Reply with quote
So this wasn't laugh out loud funny though I did let out an amused hmmmff or two a couple of times when they switched to shots revealing that the MC had immediately tried to kill himself when no one was looking.

And it wasn't quite as subversive as I thought it might be. Honestly, the whole isekai thing could play out reasonably well if the MC wasn't the Japanese equivalent of a Goth stereotype. It's not like his detachment or refusal to play along is revealing the ample gaps in Isekai logic or exposing how certain things have become tropes just because they've become tropes because they've become tropes. Well, I dunno, the way he's inexplicably started gathering a clueless harem might be satire.

But I thought this Isekai felt different. It's narrator wasn't predictable, his power could be OP or pointless given the context, and the semi-historical background was kind of interesting.

I can forgive an Isekai for just about anything except adding to the long list of formulaic, cheaply made knock-offs that don't even pretend to be anything but an attempt to cash in on the genre's popularity with as little effort as possible. So yeah, I'm watching next week.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:59 am Reply with quote
So, given the choice of VA this show made me think of ''Zetsubou Sensei goes to another world'' and premise wise it honestly seems to fit that rather well. We have plenty of dark humor/jokes with a focus on a mc that wants to commit suicide and the anime also seems quite critical in certain ways. That goes particularly in regards to isekai tropes: I have no idea how to feel about the truck kun revelation. It would also not be Zetsubou Sensei without him gathering a harem of women with....unique traits.

I am gonna keep watching, it is indeed an isekai that feels mostly fresh.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2024 9:35 am Reply with quote
I've been feeling like Sensei the last couple of months; not the suicidal part, but just tired and unenthusiastic most of the time, minus the really bad bags under my eyes. I do think it's hilarious that he's just munching on sedatives like they're candy for a majority of the episode.

I blind-watched this with my gf and told her the premise: "guy is trying to commit suicide, gets isekai'd, still tries to commit suicide, fails again, then ends up inadvertently helping people with each attempt." She said it sounded ridiculous and actually ended up liking the it a lot after the first episode.

The plot actually reminds me of the movie (A) Man Called Otto (2023) with Tom Hanks. That one ended up being pleasantly slice-of-life. Although, I expect to this one to be much more absurdly entertaining with its dark humor and making fun of isekai tropes. I'm also interested to see how/if they incorporate Sensei's ability as a writer into anything (maybe it'll be good for magic?).

I am curious what time period he's from. He and Sacchan were wearing kimonos, which made me think old-era Japan (like, pre-Meiji), but the truck made me think it was modern day. Then again, a lot of things in this show are ridiculous and made fun of as it is, so I guess it doesn't really matter on how accurate the details are.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:08 am Reply with quote
Well, Osamu Dazai finally managed to kill himself with Tomie in 1948, which is mid-Showa. While "Sensei" is never specifically identified as Dazai in this, or in Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei for that matter (where Sensei's name is Nozomu), everything else from his appearance to his clothing fits both characters, and the opening scene of them preparing to drown themselves during a rainstorm fits Dazai's suicide (with Tomie becoming Sacchan), except for Truck-kun of course. And casting Hiroshi Kamiya just reinforces that reading. Not to mention the shout-out to his signature work, "No Longer Human," in this series title, No Longer Allowed in Another World.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:27 am Reply with quote
The truck surprised me too. I haven't really paid much attention to the real life tie ins with this anime as I'm woefully ignorant of most Japanese literature outside of dystopian stuff and science fiction (I was reading novels like Battle Royale and All You Need is Kill before I ever got into anime). I think I mentioned this on A Returner's Magic Should Be Special, but I stopped reading Japanese light novels when I realized they were the source of most anime and switched to Korean and Chinese web novels for my Eastern fantasy and sci-fi.

Anyway, at first I assumed the MC was someone real who died hundreds of years ago as historical figures get some leeway with fictional treatments. Generally, I don't think most people have a problem with Abe Lincoln being portrayed as a vampire hunter, for example.

Then, I thought our MC was a fictional parody of a known person. Like having a rockstar from the 20th century in a white jumpsuit and rhinestones who's called Pelvis because of his hip thrusting or something.

Anyway, this anime might not make it past episode 3 with me. The MC's shtick is already getting a little old.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 10:19 am Reply with quote
After Episode 02, I'm almost inclined to think the show is an eccentric type of slice-of-life. This might be a bit early (and with me not having any further background info on who Sensei is based on), but in the context of this particular iteration, so far, the recurring theme seems to be that Sensei wants to commit suicide because he has this feeling that he's not good or worthy enough of a person.

In his "quest," however, he almost took this young, naive princess with him, but inadvertently convinced her that life can actually be worth living, thereby invoking this strange, roundabout kind of inspiration. The fear of dying opened her eyes to what she truly desired in the life she had yet to fully live, and I guess we'll just have to assume things eventually work out for her.

After the first episode, I thought the show was gonna' lean more towards him getting out of deathly situations in some darkly comedic fashion. But after the second, I'm a little more intrigued that he's managing to help people in other weird ways.

I'm also curious to see why Annette keeps saving him and how that eventually develops. If you think about it, just his appearance, alone, inspired her to be less cookie-cutter and truer to herself. Maybe each episode will bring about some kind of inspiration to someone else?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2024 1:06 pm Reply with quote
It seems to be going that way. That said, someone getting people to become true to who they are or want to be by spreading the gospel of a double suicide sure is something you do not see all that often. I wonder if the mc and him trying to commit suicide will make the fantasy world a better place without changing or if Sensei will actually change as a person. The former would indeed be a fun slice of life with lots of gags, the latter would be something more.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2024 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, the MC gets their "ability" made explicit on a stat screen as Writing, but with the principal effect of spoiler[ sending isekai-ed people back, after an almost psychological analysis? ] That's a pretty unusual use of isekai, I think. Time will tell if it makes for interesting stories.

I did find this story interesting, but a bit odd. Still thinking about it.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Ok, let me amend my clumsy language for my take on what happens. The main character does not do a psychological analysis of people. When he talks to someone and tries to write a story about them, and his "skill" works, spoiler[ they dump their life history, before and after being isakied, and they get a chance at a sort of catharisis, to set their hearts and minds at peace. And then get tossed back to where they came from in time and space. ] At least, I think that's what's happening. May have to think about this some more.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2024 5:22 am Reply with quote
I think the skill being a thing makes perfect sense. In most isekai stories the reincarnated person in question either succeeds in their quest or fails. If they succeed they get send home but if they do not you end up with overpowered individuals who are likely to turn into monsters themselves due to being so powerful and human/very flawed. I forget the name, but one anime had reincarnated people being hunted down to avoid such issues and the MC his ability seems to serve the same purpose (less bloody though).
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 11:11 am Reply with quote
I caught up on episodes 4-6 in the last few days and am liking the twist of: spoiler[ the Other Worlders, particularly the 7 that defeated the Demon Lord and are becoming the Seven Deadly Sins, but all of them, in general, becoming corrupted by their power, and how Sensei seems to be the only one who can help bring balance back to this world.]

Still not quite sure what Sensei's power really is: spoiler[ like, if he writes the story, then tears up the pages, does it just send the Other Worlder back, or is it more of an "undo everything" he wrote. For instance, he wrote some stuff about Matilda being a sheltered princess, and then he's probably gonna' write stuff about about Kaibara, break down his psyche, tear the pages. And then will that "undo" Kaibara by taking his power away and sending him back to his world, but also "undo" Matilda's sheltering?] Hopefully they explain more of the technicalities behind the power.

I like how low-key psychological the show is, and now I'm really interested to see how the other sinful Other Worlders turn out spoiler[ and which one Sacchan will turn out to be.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2024 9:53 pm Reply with quote

Pretty good episode, but while Dazai was absolutely suicidal, I don't think he was a masochist. Seemed a little out of character for him to fantasize about being tortured to death. Still, it was funny how enamored he was of the idea of being eaten to death.

And the cat people's royal head gear was a nicely original design.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2024 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

I was glad they changed things up and didn't use Sensei's Storytelling skill the same way as last time. Mind you, it's a bit deflating that the coup de grace involved the former Demon Lord's spawn swooping down and chopping off The Muncher's head, but hey whatever gets the job done. That guy was freakin' annoying. It's also a good thing the Storytelling skill wasn't used to send him back to our world because he was clearly a menace to other people.

I wonder why The Muncher's skill didn't work on Sensei? Maybe it only works on people who don't want to be eaten? Anyway, no huge surprise that Tama rejoins our merry band of weirdos but highly welcome all the same. But they really should slap some wheels on that coffin... especially since Nir's dragging skills are not up to snuff.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, while the previous otherworlder was not rotten from the start but became corrupted due to his mental issues Muncher was very much a lost cause in every world. Giving that guy a deportation back to the normal world would only endanger others.

As for the wheels, that would stop them from gaining xp dragging the coffin along, so that is a no go. Sensei being immune might be due to him being poisoned or plain not afraid? It is nice to see that his skill is versatile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2