• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Parry Everything (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:32 pm Reply with quote

I Parry Everything (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 8 volumes, written by Nabeshiki, illustrated by Kawaguchi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: OLM (Team Masuda)

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: aristocracy, conspiracy, gore, medieval, monsters, royalty, sorcery, swordplay

Plot Summary: The Kingdom of Clays faces a conflict that will shape the face of the continent for centuries to come...but Noor doesn't have a clue about any of that. Having freshly arrived at the royal capital after over a decade of rigorous, isolated training at his mountain home, he's dead set on achieving his childhood dream of becoming an adventurer, even if the only skills he possesses are useless ones.

Sure, he can [Parry] thousands of swords in the span of a single breath, but everybody knows you need more than that if you want to be an adventurer.

Air Date & Platform:
July 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 07, 2024 2:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well now, color me surprised. The title makes you expect nothing special and the first episode was no masterpiece but comparing it to Ossan Newbie Adventurer which has quite a few similarities to it shows how much difference a bump in quality can make.

Yes, the mc does not know how strong he is, but for once it makes sense for him to have warped sensibilities due to his upbringing (or rather the lack of). The mc is strong by using his skill but that skill is all he has and its effectiveness was not gifted to him, it was forged over the course of many years filled with effort.

Add to that the mc is likeable, the presentation is charming and people such as the intructors being reasonable and I am rather interested in seeing more.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:34 am Reply with quote
I liked that Noor called the minotaur a cow but I loved the fact that Noor was absolutely thrilled he parried a cow.
Noor, people are not going to be impressed by that but I love the enthusiasm.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:58 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Yes, the mc does not know how strong he is, but for once it makes sense for him to have warped sensibilities due to his upbringing (or rather the lack of). .

Heh heh. Everybody has double standards sometimes. When you like something, the same trait you found annoying somewhere else can seem charming, and it's not always easy to see why.

Feel better, hypocrite? Razz

That said, I like this One Parry Man format just fine. It wouldn't hold up to a lot of cold logic and close scrutiny, but it's not that kind of show. It's good hearted and simple (as in straight forward and non-complex, not simple minded) just like its MC.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I am still no huge fan of the ''no idea how strong I really am'' trope, but for me it helps when it makes some sense as to why the mc ended up that way. In this case Noor was not raised to know better and despite having trained for ten plus years all he did was parry wooden swords. That said, if he starts parrying gods later on then I am sure to bitch about it if he still thinks he is not doing anything of note.

It also helps that while Noor has his seemingly all powerful parry he still struggles and one mistake will end him, he is no caped baldy that has nothing to fear.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I wasn't going to sample this but the high-ish scores it got from the Previewers and the fairly positive comments of my comrades-in-anime here swayed me and I'm glad they did. Along with Dungeon People and Quality Assurance in Another World, this is turning to the season of "Maybe I Shouldn't Give Up on Fantasy/Isekai After All" for me.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1
Along with Dungeon People and Quality Assurance in Another World, this is turning to the season of "Maybe I Shouldn't Give Up on Fantasy/Isekai After All" for me.

That's the spirit. You've got control of your habit now. Trying one or two fantasy anime casually won't hurt you....

Huh, that's weird. How did I get in this devil costume?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:35 am Reply with quote
I would go so far as to say that a unique gimmick or simply having enough quality makes something worth a look, even if said genre is very overcrowded.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:24 am Reply with quote
When I saw Noor leaving the safety of his farm zone and venturing into dangerous wilderness by passing through a visibly invisible wall, I was thinking "I'm so glad that this show isn't an Isekai because we'd end up with a character explaining to Noor/Us what it was, what it meant and how it came to be." He knows it's there and what it means, we have to figure it out ourselves.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:30 pm Reply with quote
This intro Ep shows there may be more to the show than a simple "From Nobody to the World's Strongest" story. Specifically, there are my daughter's observations that Noor is using wind/spirit magic in hearing the Princess (?) at an impossible distance and is showing the same in his "training" montage, assuming he isn't just stirring a mighty breeze from violent swinging of the wooden sword. It may also be the reason he becomes inhumanly strong. It may be that he flunked out of some magic related schools because his brand of magic doesn't fit with their knowledge of magic and if so, he might rock their world. Then there is the Princess (?) who may be a mage by the use of magic binding and was possibly being being taken to authorities for some criminal use of magic before the assembly was waylaid by the HolyCow(!). Otherwise the CowaBunga was intent to capture her. Either way, I expect we will get more pithy backstory next Ep than "I Whacked a Cow"....
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
This intro Ep shows there may be more to the show than a simple "From Nobody to the World's Strongest" story. Specifically, there are my daughter's observations that Noor is using wind/spirit magic in hearing the Princess (?) at an impossible distance and is showing the same in his "training" montage, ..

I hadn't even considered that. One Punch Man and Mob Psycho sort of desensitized me to the idea of expecting an anime to have a rational explanation for someone's strength, so I never gave it a second thought.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:26 am Reply with quote
I expect a lot of people don't, but even such shows follow implicit rules to avoid seeming completely arbitrary and thus have rationality built in if written decently well. I mention this because wind magic exists in many magic systems encountered in modern fantasy literature which we see this show using as basis with that one exception which might be a clue to a plot reveal coming. As in "Noor has almost no usual magic ability but he has an exceedingly rare or previously unknown one which he has in spades and makes him super strong"
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I wonder, so far it seems like Noor is that strong simply because he puts in so much effort to become an adventurer. His skills besides parry are simple ones yet it looks like they are extra effective due to Noor's blood, sweat and tears, that goes even more so for parrying since he practiced that for like 15 years. Come to think of it, maybe that goes for his senses too.

Anyhow, episode 2 offered a fair bit of good worldbuilding. There was no action in the episode yet it was still very fun to watch. We now know more about the kingdom, the conflict it has and thus why the cow showed up. None of the characters so far are annoying and judging by their reaction to Noor one handing that sword it is no ordinary item.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Yah, the king's smug, satisfied look when Noor swung that sword around made me wonder if it's got some kind of prophecy or enchantment attached. Otherwise, giving a powerful weapon to someone who can kill mega threat summoned monsters and then letting them leave just doesn't make sense. Not after a conversation about how the kingdom is in deep poo.

Anyway, It's looking like my anime watching is going to be a lot lighter this summer season. That's not a bad thing - it's more like a return to the norm after the last three or four seasons have had anime crammed into the seasonal steamer trunk until the hinges were about to pop off.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this season's a sleeper (and not in the good way) for me too. So far Parryman is the show I'm having the most fun with, as surprising as that is to me. I like how unpretentious Noor is, without him coming across as a stupid rube. That is, the humor doesn't depend on making him dense as bricks, but simply unversed in politics and the trappings of the higher classes (including higher classes of adventurers). He's doing the best he can without the necessary reference points to guide him, and he's not all that bad at coping with the curves thrown at him. And the king seems to grasp this, which is also a nice touch. But you'd think he'd ask his name before trying to gift him with half the kingdom. It's like he didn't so that Ms. Harness could react to it later?

Of course this also scratches my itch for seeing MCs amaze those who underestimate them, with the icing on top that Noor also underestimates himself. I'm just really liking his character. Smile

Now that sword is one butt ugly beast. It looks like it was crudely hacked out of a meteor and was never actually forged. I can't even tell if it's got any sharp edges on it, or if it's just a flat club. Lol at his "oh hey this perfectly fits the sewage channels!" I totally related to that as 1) a veteran repurposer and 2) someone who gets asmr chills from pics of things that exactly fit, like a semi truck backing into a loading dock slot with 2" clearance on either side, or a Swiffer mop head matching a narrow recess in a wall. Laughing

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Fri Jul 12, 2024 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5