• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I Parry Everything (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:32 pm Reply with quote

I Parry Everything (TV)

Source:

Demographic:

Animation Studio:

Genres:

Themes:

Plot Summary: The Kingdom of Clays faces a conflict that will shape the face of the continent for centuries to come...but Noor doesn't have a clue about any of that. Having freshly arrived at the royal capital after over a decade of rigorous, isolated training at his mountain home, he's dead set on achieving his childhood dream of becoming an adventurer, even if the only skills he possesses are useless ones.

Sure, he can [Parry] thousands of swords in the span of a single breath, but everybody knows you need more than that if you want to be an adventurer.

Air Date & Platform:
July 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime:
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:19 am Reply with quote
Well now, color me surprised. The title makes you expect nothing special and the first episode was no masterpiece but comparing it to Ossan Newbie Adventurer which has quite a few similarities to it shows how much difference a bump in quality can make.

Yes, the mc does not know how strong he is, but for once it makes sense for him to have warped sensibilities due to his upbringing (or rather the lack of). The mc is strong by using his skill but that skill is all he has and its effectiveness was not gifted to him, it was forged over the course of many years filled with effort.

Add to that the mc is likeable, the presentation is charming and people such as the intructors being reasonable and I am rather interested in seeing more.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:34 am Reply with quote
I liked that Noor called the minotaur a cow but I loved the fact that Noor was absolutely thrilled he parried a cow.
Noor, people are not going to be impressed by that but I love the enthusiasm.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:58 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Yes, the mc does not know how strong he is, but for once it makes sense for him to have warped sensibilities due to his upbringing (or rather the lack of). .

Heh heh. Everybody has double standards sometimes. When you like something, the same trait you found annoying somewhere else can seem charming, and it's not always easy to see why.

Feel better, hypocrite? Razz

That said, I like this One Parry Man format just fine. It wouldn't hold up to a lot of cold logic and close scrutiny, but it's not that kind of show. It's good hearted and simple (as in straight forward and non-complex, not simple minded) just like its MC.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I am still no huge fan of the ''no idea how strong I really am'' trope, but for me it helps when it makes some sense as to why the mc ended up that way. In this case Noor was not raised to know better and despite having trained for ten plus years all he did was parry wooden swords. That said, if he starts parrying gods later on then I am sure to bitch about it if he still thinks he is not doing anything of note.

It also helps that while Noor has his seemingly all powerful parry he still struggles and one mistake will end him, he is no caped baldy that has nothing to fear.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I wasn't going to sample this but the high-ish scores it got from the Previewers and the fairly positive comments of my comrades-in-anime here swayed me and I'm glad they did. Along with Dungeon People and Quality Assurance in Another World, this is turning to the season of "Maybe I Shouldn't Give Up on Fantasy/Isekai After All" for me.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:49 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 1
Along with Dungeon People and Quality Assurance in Another World, this is turning to the season of "Maybe I Shouldn't Give Up on Fantasy/Isekai After All" for me.

That's the spirit. You've got control of your habit now. Trying one or two fantasy anime casually won't hurt you....

Huh, that's weird. How did I get in this devil costume?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:35 am Reply with quote
I would go so far as to say that a unique gimmick or simply having enough quality makes something worth a look, even if said genre is very overcrowded.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:24 am Reply with quote
When I saw Noor leaving the safety of his farm zone and venturing into dangerous wilderness by passing through a visibly invisible wall, I was thinking "I'm so glad that this show isn't an Isekai because we'd end up with a character explaining to Noor/Us what it was, what it meant and how it came to be." He knows it's there and what it means, we have to figure it out ourselves.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1