• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Diving Into The Crunchyroll Vault

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
I think it's unimaginably tone-deaf of Sakaguchi to snub a Lost Odyssey re-release, but then I recall the idiocracy I'd seen from a dev team interview where they were lamenting putting so much detail into the interior settings in that game when "it slowed down dev time and didn't offer players anything substantial". It's sickening, when the game is possibly one of the most artistic and well-written experiences of its generation, stuck on XB360 without access to all of its DLC no less.

I dunno man; looking at the current state of the industry where the rush for absolute fidelity on the tiniest details is bloating both game development time and budgets and doing nothing but forcing devs into ridiculous amounts of crunch all so they can promote having real-time horse testicles reacting to the environment, I'd be inclined to listen to the devs with actual hands-on experience and knowledge gained from being on the frontlines on what was or wasn't a helpful aspect of development over someone on the internet with really, really strong gut feelings.
eternalblue81

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:13 pm Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:

Unless things have changed recently, Lost Odyssey was missing DLC story content on XB360. To remedy this back in the day, you had to create a JP Xbox account, download the DLC off of the JP store and then the files existing on your HDD would unlock the episodes on your US version. While these were not dire to miss, one of the main enjoyable parts of the game are these story episodes and the DLC including more of them in general, adds more top-shelf content. If that has been fixed then that's good, but it also leaves anyone without access to one of the newer Xbox consoles high and dry, not to mention the folks that are PC-only. A feature-complete remaster with all DLC included and an engine refresh like Last Remnant got would be pretty nice and hopefully not be too costly.

This was the first I could recall anything like this being mentioned so I checked and both the US and JP xbox pages show the exact same DLCs, a special item 2-pack, special item 3-pack, and a dungeon pack available for Lost Odyssey. It appears the JP dungeon pack was released April 9, 2009, while the US version was released May 22, 2009.

Regardless, I appreciate learning of its existence since it's only $1 and I'd rather get it sooner than later what with the 360 Marketplace being shut down at the end of this month. Even though it shouldn't affect Lost Odyssey or its DLC since they're available on xbox.com and not just marketplace, I'd rather be safe than sorry. It would be great if sometime down the road it would get a remastered rerelease.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:01 am Reply with quote
eternalblue81 wrote:
This was the first I could recall anything like this being mentioned so I checked and both the US and JP xbox pages show the exact same DLCs, a special item 2-pack, special item 3-pack, and a dungeon pack available for Lost Odyssey. It appears the JP dungeon pack was released April 9, 2009, while the US version was released May 22, 2009.

Regardless, I appreciate learning of its existence since it's only $1 and I'd rather get it sooner than later what with the 360 Marketplace being shut down at the end of this month. Even though it shouldn't affect Lost Odyssey or its DLC since they're available on xbox.com and not just marketplace, I'd rather be safe than sorry. It would be great if sometime down the road it would get a remastered rerelease.

It's definitely a blow to game preservation in the longterm to lose a big digital shop like that. Glad I caught your attention & it helped. It's honestly one of the most beautiful games/stories from the XB360's lifetime.

Just make sure you got all of it - the Double set adds a new story sequence, the Triple set adds a new story sequence and a cutscene viewer (yay, basic game function as DLC!), and the Dungeon set obviously adds an entire endgame area in addition to a final set of achievements.

I specifically think it's the Double set that was the one which had intermittent availability over the years - you need all three for the game to be considered "feature complete".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2