• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I know I'm coming to this a little late, but just wanted to pick up a point relating to Days with my Stepsister. One of the reviewers mentions incest in relation to any potential relationship between the two lead characters. It's worth being clear here - any such relationship would not be in any sense (biological, moral or legal) incest. The characters are not blood related, have not been raised as siblings and there's no mention of formal adoption processes (which would form a legal barrier to marriage).

With modern rates of divorce and remarriage, step-sibling relationships and marriage are not all that uncommon. I've worked with a colleague in the past who was married to her step-brother (she was in her early 20s when her father remarried). There may well be readers of the site who are in such a relationship, or who have family in such a relationship, so it's just worth being really clear it is not incest.
Puchu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:41 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Puchu wrote:
Also, I know the premise is a joke, but doxxing is a legitimate fear for streamers and I spent a big part of the episode feeling vaguely nauseous because of it. Pass.

Not trying to change your mind, but nothing that happens in that episode constitutes doxxing. Nothing about Awayuki's private identity is shared, not even her real name. Nobody ever sees her actual face, or learns her address, or anything of that nature. What happens is more applicable to a seeing a mascot performer back behind the bleachers having a smoke, but with the mascot head still on.

I know perfectly well she didn't actually get doxxed, but being live without knowing? While blackout drunk so you have no idea what you're saying? It's frankly a miracle she didn't let slip any personal details (at least that we know so far). Her manager told her to not speak for a reason. And the consequences of a streamer getting doxxed are basically all horrifying. At least in Japan, she's unlikely to get SWATted, because of differences in police culture and culture in general, but with the R-rated shit she was saying, you can bet your butt someone would show up at her door if they managed to track her down.

Edit: I think a better explanation is that almost every vtuber I've ever watched has, at some point, mentioned having some level of anxiety over getting doxxed or otherwise having some kind of on-stream accident where they lose control over what information they end up sharing. This show reminded me of those comments and those people - people I respect and want the best for - and I couldn't shake that association in my head. I didn't expect the show to hit me this hard, or I wouldn't have watched it, but what can you do. And it was on top of everything they got wrong business wise and tech wise.

Last edited by Puchu on Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
garfield15

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:42 pm Reply with quote
While I 100% agree that the animation style of Tower of God has take a huge downgrade, I feel maybe you guys might have been a bit harsh.

AdditionalRamen wrote:
I paused Nokotan after a few minutes because I was so distracted by what seemed like very cheaply done English subtitles (for instance, proper nouns and the beginnings of new sentences weren't consistently capitalized). This may just be my perception but it seems like Crunchyroll has been outsourcing subtitles more often lately. It's disappointing and takes away from my enjoyment or even my willingness to watch shows (looking at you, Dededede). Hope they get fixed.

Yeah what the heck is going on here. These are clearly MTL subs of some kind.

I heard though that apparently Crunchyroll did not sub the show and they are coming from the production side so they're forced to use them.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
There’s also a same dub of Nokotan streaming on Amazon Prime. What is happening with this show?
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:10 pm Reply with quote
AverageAnimeFan wrote:

Not licensed in the West = no reviews from ANN

Well, it iS licensed in shahid, but is for Northern Africa and Middle East, so... technically is West, but I don't know how good the Arabic skills of ANN reviewers are.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:39 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:

Well, it iS licensed in shahid, but is for Northern Africa and Middle East, so... technically is West, but I don't know how good the Arabic skills of ANN reviewers are.

Yep. It'd be more accurate to say, not licensed in the USA=No review from ANN. Girls Band Cry was also forced to skip any reviews because it wasn't licensed for the US, but a french site licensed it and provided french subs, and I doubt anyone will say France is not "the west"
It's kinda funny how USA-centric discourse can get when you consider that a lot of the time when people say "the west", they mean the USA, ignoring the LARGE amount of countries that are considered part of "the west" that aren't the USA
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been anticipating for Narenare -Cheer for you!- for quite some time, and I really liked what I've seen so far. I especially like the animation for the parkour and the cheerleading stuff. But yeah, the first episode did felt incomplete since it didn't feel like it concluded anything which is weird. Nevertheless, I'm still plan on following this.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
There’s also a same dub of Nokotan streaming on Amazon Prime. What is happening with this show?

The show is licensed internationally by REMOW, who some may remember from producing the dub for Migi & Dali. They sublicensed the release to several other companies in different regions, and seem to have provided the Nokotan subtitles themselves.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:15 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The show is licensed internationally by REMOW, who some may remember from producing the dub for Migi & Dali. They sublicensed the release to several other companies in different regions, and seem to have provided the Nokotan subtitles themselves.

Also Tonbo, which I gave a brief listen to a few months back and it sounded very off in a way similar to the Migi & Dali dub
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Speaking of subjective humor there is also VTuber Legend. I really liked the first episode due to it really feeling like a VTuber setting including the jokes and memes. The VA and creative animation hooked me for more and sold me on the mc being an amusing mess of a person. Seems like it did not click in regards to the previews though.

It absolutely clicked with me, though; in fact, it's probably my favorite premier amongst new series so far this season, and I don't follow the VTuber scene at all.

Of course, I also had a much more tepid reaction to The Elusive Samurai than most seem to have, even if I can appreciate the visual quality; the priest character just annoys me that much. Might be interesting to see how closely it sticks to actual history and how far it follows Tokiyuki's story.

As for other recent debuts, I agree with Nick's implied point about how Narenare might have benefited a lot more from a double-length starter than dreck like Raising Kids While Adventuring. Still, it's a P.A. Works original production, and those always tend to be very character-centric regardless of what the background framing device is, so I have faith that one will play out properly.

Concerning Wistoria, one point I didn't see any of the reviewers at the time of this writing (James, Rebecca, Nick) bring up that I think is very relevant is that it's directed by Tatsuya Yoshihara, who directed Black Clover. Given the many parallels between Will and Asta's situations (the first episode is practically BC set in a magic school), I don't think that's a coincidence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Giji Harem: Cute, but with everything else I'm watching I'm not gonna stick with it. Hayamin killed it though.
Wistoria: Now this was a banger. The manga's alright for me, a solid 8/10, but this episode was fantastic. Elusive Samurai gets the edge on imagination, but Wistoria's absolutely a worthy challenger. We're eating good this season.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:12 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
I'm overthinking this by a lot, I know, but I can't help but feel like casting a voice-actress to play a cartoon who is herself playing a cartoon is one too many layers of abstraction.

Honest question, since you gave the OnK S2 premiere four and a half stars -- is it really that different from Manaka Iwami playing Akane Kurokawa playing Princess Saya?
voltaseca

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:30 pm Reply with quote
My Deer Friend's translations/subtitles were HORRENDOUS what the hell is Crunchyroll doing? Jesus Christ
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Just finished a Sunday afternoon/evening run through the new shows.

Oshi no Ko - More of the same, so exactly what I wanted. Keep.

Nier Automata - Ditto. Keep.

The Strongest Magician in the Demon Lord's Army was a Human - Despite the slightly cringe title, I didn't hate it. The second episode was slightly weaker than the first. Maybe.

Suicide Squad Isekai - I've never liked superhero stuff and I'm bored to death of isekai and yet this is... really good? Not sure how that works, but those were four pretty great episodes. Keep.

My Wife Has No Emotion - My word that was creepy. It's not entirely without interest, but they really, really do play up the "will he have sex with a kitchen appliance" question, and not in a funny, gross-out American Pie kind of way. Drop.

Days with my Stepsister - That first episode certainly wasn't in a hurry, but I didn't hate it and there are some very nice touches to the animation. Maybe.

Pseudo Harem - Awwww... a much sweeter show than the title implies. Keep.

The Cafe Terrace and its Goddesses Season 2 - I watched the first season but was never a huge fan. I can't be bothered with a second. Drop.

2.5 Dimensional Seduction - A show that dares to answer the question "What if My Dress Up Darling was incredibly stupid?" Tempted to drop it, but people tell me it gets better. Maybe.

Dungeon People - Animation was quite pedestrian, but the concept has potential. I enjoyed that "lady who designs monsters for an evil organisation" show (can't remember the name) last year and this promises to be similar. Maybe.

Quality Assurance in Another World - Interesting concept, but it's really hard to tell from the first episode where it's going with it. I was getting a fair bit of tonal whiplash. Maybe.

Dahlia in Bloom - Nothing special, but there's some decent character work. I like Dahlia's relationship with her dad. Keep.

Tower of God - The first episode of the second season just reminded me how badly the first season trainwrecked. Drop.

My Deer Friend Nokotan - I've nothing against absurd humour. I loved Excel Saga back in the day. But this just isn't very well done (and the janky subs don't help). Drop.

V-Tuber Legend - Occasionally I come across a game, movie or anime that makes me think "I'm 20 years too old for this stuff". This show did that. That said, I didn't actively hate it. Maybe.

Nare Nare Cheer for You - That wasn't bad, actually. The first episode seemed more promising than that other cheerleading show we got a couple of years ago. Keep.
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what to think about Elusive Samurai. It looked great for sure, and the story and characters were good, but man, you can't just go from showing us the raped, mangled and murdered body of a child and then make goofy jokes about the funny priest. And then have that child goofing off in the ending with the rest of the cast! The guy who's at fault is DJ'ing! Also the subitles on crunchyroll are awful. They constantly use character's first name when they say the last name and they did what I consider a sin, they anglosized the order of ancient Japanese names! That's annoying enough when it happens usually but there seems to be some sort of rule that old japanese names are left in the correct order (you never see nobunaga refered to as Nobunaga Oda for example) but here everyone's names are reversed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 29