• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:46 am Reply with quote
And there is the third surprise of the season. From the description of Wistoria: Wand and Sword I kind of expected an okay anime at best filled with lots of cliches and some okay animation. What the first episode offered was a setting that indeed has plenty of cliches yet it still manages to be interesting enough (though not anything amazing either) despite them. As for the animation and presentation...they sure went a hell of a lot harder than I expected them to. Everything looked very crisp/charming with lots of effects and the movement with in particular the fights looked damn good.

It also occurs to me that we have a lot of anime with dungeons this season: Wistoria, Dungeon People, Exploration Hero, Failure Frame and from what I remember of the manga Raising Kids While Adventuring too.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 10:53 am Reply with quote
Nicholas Dupree wrote:
I guess I can recommend this if you just want something cool to look at, so long as you're content with following a story where nothing interesting happens. If you're just really aching for magic school and action, this will give you both in excess. Otherwise this might be better experienced as out-of-context clips on social media.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
I suppose the message here is, don't watch this for the plot. But do check it out to see Will's fight against the monster towards the end.

I'm confused. Are either of you familiar with the Wistoria manga, or perhaps other works from the authors? If not, I don't understand how you can write off the entire series based on what you deemed to be a less than stellar first episode while not giving it a lower rating. Or have I misunderstood your reviews? If you're only writing off the first episode, that makes more sense, but that's not how I read your closing remarks (moreso with Nicholas). Just to be clear, I'm not upset or anything. It would be a silly thing to be upset over. I'm just confused, because if you've truly written off the series already, those ratings you gave seem higher than I would have expected (even if the first episode does like great).

I'm not gonna pretend that this was a 5 Star episode, but I'm invested enough to say I'll probably keep watching. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Soshimin How To Be Ordinary
This one is pretty interesting. It’s an everyday mystery series where the mysteries seem to be mundane things like, what happened to this girls handbag and while I liked the episode I’m not fully sure how I feel about it, mostly because I’m not quite sure who the main character is as a person. He seems to be kind and helpful, and he has a good rapport with his two friends, but other than that I can’t really get a grasp on his personality. His friend Kengo is more of the meddlesome goody two-shoes type which the show mines some comedy from, and the female protagonist seems to love sweets. I’m not quite sure what the main character’s quest to be “Ordinary” is all about either. The mystery was interesting as was the resolution to it, and the show looks great and has fantastic cinematography, but I’m not too sure how long I’ll continue watching it.

Senpai is an Otokonoko
I liked this one more it’s a fun romantic comedy, which seems poised to tackle questions about gender identity, what with Makoto liking to dress as a girl. The 3 main characters bounce off of each other well, although Aoi’s shrieks can make her quite annoying, but what I like the most is the exploration of Makoto’s character. I’m really looking forward to the show

Twilight Out of Focus
This is by far my favorite of the new series premieres. I really loved the episode. First off I’m a sucker for any series where the characters are making a movie, given I was a film major. Next the two romantic leads are really compelling. I like how they feel like real people. The art style is lovely, especially during the romantic scenes. I’m hooked and so far this is the only new series I know I’m going to be watching.

Wistoria Wand and Sword
Like the reviewer’s pointed out in their previews this is pretty much the bog standard, weakest guy is actually super strong story that’s been done dozens of times before, although it’s been a while since we’ve gotten one of these that wasn’t an isekai, or at the very least cribbing off of narou novels. The production though really does elevate everything. The animation is fantastic and the music is also great and it’s this aspect that makes the show worth watching. Without that I probably wouldn’t be keeping up with it but that animation at least makes me want to stick it out for a few more episodes.

The Elusive Samurai
I wasn’t originally gonna check this one out but I’m glad that I did it is by far the best premiere. I loved everything about it.

So I ended up checking out 5 new series. I’m going on the 2nd, and maybe 3rd, episodes for Otokonoko, Shoshimin, and Wistoria. I enjoyed all 3 of them but none of them have me hooked so far. Twilight Out of Focus and Elusive Samurai on the other hand got me hooked so I’ll 100% be watching at least Twilight Out of Focus, Elusive Samurai, Oshi no Ko, and MHA this season. Not sure which, if any, of the other 3 I’ll keep watching though
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, just like the Failure Frame manga I dropped after a few volumes, it's hard to be sympathetic with a protagonist who's sole purpose is retribution because he was dumped on or slighted. I have no sympathy for him as I was watching the first episode because I know what kind of character he'll eventually become, and this interpretation doesn't stray too far. I'll give it a couple more episodes just because I'm interested in the secondary characters he encounters because they are ten times more agreeable and personally relatable. Revenge Isekai is not my pint of beer but when done well I can tolerate it. We'll see....

Last edited by njprogfan on Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
r1chancellor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I found the first episode of My Deer Friend Nokotan to be a lot of fun, just pure nonsense comedy, and it's looking like a big hit with general audiences. Guess it didn't play well with our early reviewers here, but hey, comedy is notoriously subjective. Hopefully one of the others finds it more suited to their tastes, because it's definitely going to be one of the top requested for reviews. I'll be tuning in again.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of subjective humor there is also VTuber Legend. I really liked the first episode due to it really feeling like a VTuber setting including the jokes and memes. The VA and creative animation hooked me for more and sold me on the mc being an amusing mess of a person. Seems like it did not click in regards to the previews though.
Puchu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Wistoria - I feel like this show is proof that gorgeous art and direction can do a lot to elevate a mediocre story. Because man, the story is so generic so far, but it just looks so good. I will definitely keep watching, even if I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking.

Deer everywhere - I have a weakness for nonsense comedy anime, so I'll probably keep watching, even if the virginity jokes were honestly pretty off-putting. I suspect that quite a few jokes and references are gonna be lost in translation, though (Kindaichi Case Files, anyone?). I'm randomly curious to see if we're gonna get Nara pictures every episode, or if they're gonna switch it up with other typical "deery" tourist spots (like Miyajima, of the floating torii fame).

Vtuber - I'm only a casual vtuber watcher, but I was still going "uh no, doesn't work that way" every five minutes or so, and the jokes honestly weren't funny enough to weigh up for that annoyance. Especially since basically all of them were pretty juvenile. It honestly felt more like an excuse to have a bunch of waifus doing lesbiany stuff (but just in a performative, fetishy way, not for real) than a real attempt to do a show about vtubers. Also, I know the premise is a joke, but doxxing is a legitimate fear for streamers and I spent a big part of the episode feeling vaguely nauseous because of it. Pass.

Adventuring with kids - Dear god, it's almost hilarious how poor these production values are. They really cut every corner they could possibly cut, didn't they? I love the novels, though, so I'll keep watching, even if this is the epitome of "the book was better".
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Disappointed in the first episode of Nokotan. Not as funny as I hoped it would be
Daerian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
If you're send-sensitive as well, I'd definitely use caution with this one, because the confluence of sounds can absolutely be too much.

I think it was supposed to be "sound" (in VTuber review).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:45 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:

I'm confused. Are either of you familiar with the Wistoria manga

I am, yes. It's perfectly fine, but nothing particularly special. But we're not writing off the entire series - as per the Guide itself:

Quote:
Please remember that this is a preview guide. It is designed to give you a taste of the first episode of a show with a preliminary opinion and a few thoughts on whether or not the show has potential. These are not intended to be blanket judgments of these series as a whole. All reviews use the same rating scale: 1-5, with 1 being the lowest.

@Daerian

Thank you, fixed!
AdditionalRamen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I paused Nokotan after a few minutes because I was so distracted by what seemed like very cheaply done English subtitles (for instance, proper nouns and the beginnings of new sentences weren't consistently capitalized). This may just be my perception but it seems like Crunchyroll has been outsourcing subtitles more often lately. It's disappointing and takes away from my enjoyment or even my willingness to watch shows (looking at you, Dededede). Hope they get fixed.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Puchu wrote:
Also, I know the premise is a joke, but doxxing is a legitimate fear for streamers and I spent a big part of the episode feeling vaguely nauseous because of it. Pass.

Not trying to change your mind, but nothing that happens in that episode constitutes doxxing. Nothing about Awayuki's private identity is shared, not even her real name. Nobody ever sees her actual face, or learns her address, or anything of that nature. What happens is more applicable to a seeing a mascot performer back behind the bleachers having a smoke, but with the mascot head still on.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I have read the manga of Raising Kids While Adventuring a bit in the past so I went in expecting a pretty basic isekai that primarily revolves around being fluffy and cute to draw you in. The first episode is basically that and the animation for it can also be called rather basic if I am being nice. Story and setting wise it is the good old god made a mistake plus reincarnated with skills, items and an inventory in a fantasy world. Like I said: the fluff and cute are the selling points.

My main issue with the first episode is the pacing. It could just be me but it felt like things were happening at 1.5 speed with no time to let anything breathe. I am not cutting it yet due to liking the manga but it is not a strong start.
Cuddylicious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:18 pm Reply with quote
I actually had to turn off My Deer Friend Nokotan halfway through. This never happens but I couldn't bear to watch it anymore. I sort of liked the trailer alright but the actual episode just totally rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not even sure why exactly. Oh well, life is too short!
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed how Dahlia in Bloom portrays the father-daughter bond. We don’t see that a lot in anime. And it really captures what it is to be an inventor, that mix of engineer and artisan, coupled with an unrelenting drive. The first episode was great setup, but I wish the show description wasn’t a total spoiler for episode 2.

A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero: Ugh. But the show that @RenimLS describes? That sounds like lighthearted fun. Too bad we didn’t get that.

I loved everything about Sakuna: Of Rice And Ruin. The character designs are great, our little gremlin is great, and the story has hooked me so far.

The Elusive Samurai is the outstanding debut of the season so far for me. The animation was joyful. The way the kid moves, it’s just thrilling to watch. I was a big fan of Ass Class so this one was a no-brainer for me, even if I hadn’t loved the premiere. Can’t wait for more!

I loved Hyouka so SHOSHIMIN is right up my alley. The whole first episode, I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I’m fascinated by the little clues the narrative’s been sprinkling about their clearly not-ordinary backstory. I sense some sort of bonding traumatic event, and inquiring minds want to know!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 29