• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm very happy with this first episode of SHOSHIMIN because it reminds me so much of Hyouka, an anime that, more than ten years later, is still in my top three. I just hope they manage to maintain the high quality shown in this first episode.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:01 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Plus-Sized Elf is not for me. I was hoping that the show would be about presenting that eating healthy and exercising enough is important to stay healthy. Maybe give some proper tips and information about diets and how to work out while they are at it. That kind of is in the first episode, yet it is very much overshadowed by fanservice and jokes. It is hard to take something seriously when after talking about how someone is damaging their health said person goes moaning and wearing overly tight clothes.

I dunno, my first impression of PSE well before watching it, well before the adaptation was even announced, was that the fanservice and jokes were the main point and main draw.

And from that perspective, I thought it was alright, simple as. That ending theme, though, is a crime against my eardrums and a solid contender for worst anisong of the year. (Love the Elfuda pin-up pan though, I hope they do that for all the girls. Very Happy)
Telu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Looks like the only show worth watching this season is "Nigejōzu no Wakagimi" (The Elusive Samurai).
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:11 pm Reply with quote
So what's happening with Grendizer U?
RenimLS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Kind of a shame on A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero, the manga adaptation has been pretty amusing. Only watched one episode and was pretty bored with it, the episode covers chapters 1-2 and part of 3 of the manga adaptation. The manga version really sold it for me by going a bit more absurd, and going further with how OP Sylphy is and making character reactions more exaggerated. The scene in episode 1 for example where Sylphy nuked the slime was significantly more drawn out in the manga adaptation, which added a nice bit of comedy as the protagonist was hanging on for dear life only to then begin pleading for Sylphy to stop when the attack shown in the anime turned out to merely be the precursor to an even stronger attack that created flying debris more dangerous to the protagonist than anything the mobs could do. Then afterwards when Sylphy became hungry, the manga adaptation depicted it more comedically with her stomach rumbling sounds being so loud elsewhere in the dungeon other adventurers began fleeing the dungeon because of the loud strange noise right after what they thought was an Earthquake (Sylphy's attack).
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Not licensed in the West = no reviews from ANN
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...As for Failure Frame, I seem to need a total trash title or two on my viewing list every season...
Wanted to let people interested in FF know, it is on Crunchyroll and not the non-existent SERVICE. BTW, watched it and it wasn't really ugly (other than in sentiment) and looks much better than Instant Death. Not nearly as mean as Redo of Healer and I appreciate it's orientation in having the beset-upon protag decide that it OK to be angry at the abuse and abusers and stop basing his self-image on their opinion and live on his own terms. His real revenge target seems to be the goddess and basically he will show up the A-holes by succeeding..
pi8you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:23 am Reply with quote
Welcome back NieR, loved the dip into the Replicant stage. Carry on Fable (and the absent MHA and YATAGARASU).

2.5 Dimensional Seduction did a pretty good job adapting the start. Like others have said it definitely grows better as it goes so I'm looking forward to watching it play out over the next six months. I'd also say it covers enough different ground in the cosplay space to act as a companion to My Dress-Up Darling rather than just an imitator.

Grendizer U sits in licensing limbo.

Dungeon People definitely could have dialed back that first half in favor of having her actually do some work at her new job. Might be lazy fun, mostly makes me wish for more Sleepy Princess.

Quality Assurance in Another World was solidly watchable from the start, and became much better with the deployment of the reveal, very curious to see where it goes from here.

Dahlia in Bloom's characters were quite charming, but some parts of the world building felt pretty, er, artificial. It was also a really interesting choice to spend most of the episode outside of Dahlia's head, leaving us with no sense of how consciously she's living her reincarnated life.

A Nobody's Way Up to an Exploration Hero's summoning sequences were neatly done, I'll give it that. However, the rest of the (really? why?) two-episode premiere was such a grab bag of pieces that it, when assembled together, formed an extremely easy No Thanks.

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin was a slick premiere that just wasn't on my wavelength. I'll keep at it for now, but with as stacked as Saturday is, that may not last if I don't connect with it in some way.

The Elusive Samurai had a very lively, if uneven, premiere. If it can find a better balance between the comedy and the violence, all the better, but I'm along for the ride for now.

SHOSHIMIN: How to Become Ordinary was gorgeous, that's for sure. The rest of it though? Like watching some arthouse cinema award bait, which I swore off ages ago. If the troubles they get caught up in gets drastically more interesting I'll likely stick around, but I'm leaning towards it being a quick drop.

Plus-Sized Elf sure got to the point(y bits) in a hurry, which makes sense given the runtime. Unfortunately, it just wasn't fun at all. Like No Emotion, it's another one where I don't feel like I've missed out by skipping the manga.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:07 am Reply with quote
Didn’t think SHOSHIMIN would have brutal deaths in the series Shocked Shocked
Daerian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:44 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
It just beggars belief that the thought hasn't even occurred to her---I mean, she herself describes these costumes as super sexy, right? I don't understand what the show gets out of pretending otherwise; or, maybe, this genre more broadly, since it seems like a weirdly common choice.

Women are supposed to be both very sexy for the protagonist (viewer) pleasure (and sexually available), but also pure and innocent so there isn't even hint about them not being pure virgins waiting for our hero to be first one starting relationship with them. Classical sexist double standard you will see everywhere, including real life.

Reminds me why I love Spice&Wolf so much, as it doesn't stray from mentioning 1000 years old goddess had been somehow in relationships before she meet Lawrence.

And doing that it wasn't without risk - we have examples that If there is even a hint that female character could have been with someone before protagonist, even if we are talking about character centuries old, it's time to send death threats to author for such blasphemy (Kannagi author).
Sekaro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:34 am Reply with quote
I have been anticipating the premieres for both The Elusive Samurai & SHOSHIMIN & now they have finally arrived. Funny enough, my reason for watching both is the same - they are made by the same authors who made Assassination Classroom & HYOUKA respectively. I enjoyed AssClass well enough & I REALLY love HYOUKA.

Guess I'll start with The Elusive Samurai.... That sure was quite the first episode. Already starting off with the OP which is rather rare but it looks like a lot of fun visually. IDK about the song though. Same thing for the ED. I've pretty much avoided any PV/trailer about this show so when I saw the MC, first thing I thought was "Ok so is this another boy who looks too feminine for his own good?" & it seems I was right though I really wish that wasnt the case this time around like it was in AssClass. That said, the visuals look fantastic & the animation is fluid & fun to watch especially the running scenes. I know basically nil about this certain time period in Japan so idk how much the story is going to hook me but I'll definitely continue to tune in for more.

As for SHOSHIMIN, I'm not too sure what to feel about this premiere. I really really wanted to enjoy it just as much as I did with HYOUKA's legendary premiere but somehow I just didn't feel the same way. I mean it checks a lot of boxes the same way HYOUKA did - Aesthetically pleasing character designs CHECK. Eye-catching visuals CHECK. Amazing Cinematography DOUBLE CHECK. So why is it I'm not that interested in... whatever is even going on? I mean its obvious that the 2 main leads are dealing with something internally but its so vaguely presented that I'm not sure most casual viewers watching would really catch on... or maybe I'm just not that sharp to really get it. It seems they've formed this agreement to act a certain way in public but thats really about it. It doesnt really help that the premiere spent more time playing detective than delve deeper into their internal conflicts. HYOUKA did a great job in that aspect - balancing the internal conflict & mystery elements such that one doesnt overshadow the other. However, I think in the former's case, they spent way too much time on the mystery elements without properly setting up all the characters yet. This is where the series fails to hook me imo. I'll continue to tune in for more to see if it gets better but man I was expecting much better....
Puchu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 5:58 am Reply with quote
Dahlia - I'm so confused at the pacing of this. If this is supposed to be a 12 episode show, then at this rate, it'll take half the series to get past the initial premise and into the meat of the story. Also, her name should probably be spelled Dahliya in English to not run into problems with the in-world etymology of the name that will show up at some point, but that's a minor issue. Despite the production values, it's looking cute so far. I'm looking forward to future easter eggs, because them pressure washing the city walls made me laugh. Accuracy towards the source material was mentioned, and so far, it seems to be following the manga rather than the novels (albeit very, very slowly). Edit: also, can you quit making Carlo's glasses reflective? It's giving me Shou Tucker vibes, and Carlo doesn't deserve that kind of slander.

Quallity assurance - I'm super conflicted about this one, because the story seems interesting, but I absolutely hate the aesthetic. It's just so ugly. If I can get over my shallowness, I'll probably keep watching.

Elusive Samurai - No, but why is this so good?? I'm not even into in historical anime, but this is absolutely gorgeous, and I love the characters. It's probably sad that I don't even expect to get shows of this high quality anymore, but it does make it a pleasant surprise when I do. My only gripe is that I've been an anime fan for long enough that my spidey senses are tingling. I know where fans will take this, I'm pretty sure some of those shots were meant to encourage it (it does mean lots of free marketing, after all), and I just want to scream "jail".
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:44 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

The only official subs are arabic subs from an arabic streaming site, and beyond that no fansubs other than 2 MTLs (one is a japanese to english translation and the other is an arabic (from said streaming site) to english translation)
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 8:54 am Reply with quote
It'll be interesting to see how well The Elusive Samurai does internationally. It's got a decent-sized following in Japan (and its first volume did exceptionally well), but on Manga Plus, it's consistently one of the least popular WSJ manga, below anything that isn't a straight-up gag manga. Since at least December 2022 -- the furthest back I have numbers for -- the sole exceptions to that rule have been Cipher Academy and Two on Ice. Kyokuto Necromance and Psych House haven't had very strong debuts, and they're still doing better than TES there -- about on par with Witch Watch. For all the flack Nue's Exorcist gets, it's doing better still.
Leviathonlx1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:13 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

What platform it's on is announced on the 9th.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 29