• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Anime Project Unveils Visual, Main Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amritzer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I would like for Trigger to make a new Nadia, and / or Gunbuster anime.

New TTGL would also be cool.
JustMonika

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first season earlier this year and loved it. Marchi and Rial definitely make the best duo in anime history.
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Vee-Tee wrote:
Not sure I’m gonna watch this, though. Only remember a few standout jokes and scenes from the OG and the rest I didn’t really enjoy…

I think the original worked because it was very authentic to American cartoons right down to the 30 second opening of the name of the show just being repeated over and over. I guess we'll see if they can keep it going after a decade. Will they still continue it like it's mid 2000s American cartoons or update it to be more like modern American animation? Could be hit or miss. I also always enjoy hearing Japanese VAs swear in English.
liatris

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 12:11 am Reply with quote
Hellsoldier wrote:
A fruit of the rescue of Gainax properties, I guess. They had annouced a project at some point, though we all know how that went...

Good to hear.

In fact, Trigger has announced on Twitter the circumstances surrounding the transfer of the original rights, and has thanked khara and all parties involved, so you are probably roughly right.
At this rate, it is highly likely that the rights to other works such as Nadia have also been properly transferred. If so, we would be delighted.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:11 am Reply with quote
With that new project coming up next year, it's a good question if Trigger's gonna save the Christmas spoiler[Gainax ruined back in 2010] or not.[/quote]
Nekbone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:22 am Reply with quote
I still don't know if this is picking up from the fan book's ending or the anime's ending
TsarPlatinum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:22 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
It's been awhile since I watched the original series, but I am thinking the characters look a bit younger or more chibi. Perhaps not, and it is just my poor memory.

It looks a bit softer/chibi but maybe it's just the poster.

Axbox360 wrote:
Will Christopher Sabat still voice Garterbelt in the English dub?

Twitter is currently in an uproar over Garterbelt still having big lips and accusing Trigger of being racist so I would be surprised if the dubbers still cast a white guy for him or Sabat willingly accepts the role given the backlash that would happen. I'm sure Trigger themselves wont pull any punches going off their past few shows but it's probably up in the air how the dub will be this time around since the dubbing industry has changed a lot in 14 years as well as American culture surrounding humor. People are more sensitive now than they were back in 2010. I have never watched the dub myself but I remember people hyping it up for how much rauchiness and offensive humor they allegedly added to it like Ghost Stories' dub did so I wonder if they would even do that in 2024. I remember other dubs from that era had no problem throwing in funny slurs and offensive jokes but you rarely see it nowadays. Usually it's the opposite.
AverageAnimeFan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:38 am Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
I remember other dubs from that era had no problem throwing in funny slurs and offensive jokes but you rarely see it nowadays. Usually it's the opposite.

Name one dub from the 2010s that added in "funny slurs", whatever that even means.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:31 am Reply with quote
liatris wrote:

In fact, Trigger has announced on Twitter the circumstances surrounding the transfer of the original rights, and has thanked khara and all parties involved, so you are probably roughly right.
At this rate, it is highly likely that the rights to other works such as Nadia have also been properly transferred. If so, we would be delighted.

Oh let's hope so. Good news for once in the classic anime world. We might get the other lost projects as well, like a sequel to Diebuster. Meanwhile, regarding AIC... Sad
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:16 am Reply with quote
King Chicken wrote:
Chris Handsome wrote:
They better recast Piccolo with a green identifying guy too while they're at it.

The difference is Garterbelt is actually black rather than it just being an unfunny internet meme so I would be genuinely surprised if he wasn't recast given the way dubs are handled these day. (Yes, it's ironic Japanese coded characters can still be played by white people and no one cares)

I really don't factor that sort of thing into dub casting. Honestly as long as the dub actor/actress fits the voice of the character and the general feel from the original Japanese dub it's all good. Race-blind casting is actually far more common in VA works than people realize, and it goes both ways. Yes Garterbelt is black but voiced but the white Christopher Sabat, but keep in mind that white Johan from "Monster" was voiced by Keith Silverstein who is black. That Rin Tohsaka from the "Fate" franchise despite being Japanese is voiced by the black Mela Lee. Even cute little Emilico from "Shadows House", whose is the embodiment of a porcelain Victorian doll, is voiced by a black Dani Chambers. With the exception of the Live A Live remake, finding a cast that match their character's ethnicity really isn't a major thing.
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
It's been awhile since I watched the original series, but I am thinking the characters look a bit younger or more chibi. Perhaps not, and it is just my poor memory.

It looks a bit softer/chibi but maybe it's just the poster.

Axbox360 wrote:
Will Christopher Sabat still voice Garterbelt in the English dub?

Twitter is currently in an uproar over Garterbelt still having big lips and accusing Trigger of being racist so I would be surprised if the dubbers still cast a white guy for him or Sabat willingly accepts the role given the backlash that would happen. I'm sure Trigger themselves wont pull any punches going off their past few shows but it's probably up in the air how the dub will be this time around since the dubbing industry has changed a lot in 14 years as well as American culture surrounding humor. People are more sensitive now than they were back in 2010. I have never watched the dub myself but I remember people hyping it up for how much rauchiness and offensive humor they allegedly added to it like Ghost Stories' dub did so I wonder if they would even do that in 2024. I remember other dubs from that era had no problem throwing in funny slurs and offensive jokes but you rarely see it nowadays. Usually it's the opposite.

For me it is the writting of the dub, becauce yes the sub has a lot of swear words and what not, but it was the dub that turned the dialoge from a 10 to an 11.

i Think the first season is with the original Spice and Wolf and Baka And Test is Jamies best work as a writer. If the writing is good i do not care as much about the cast as long as it fits the role.
LukaTheLancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:17 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:27 am Reply with quote
Hell yes! Good to see that staff back and the art still looks right on. It's back, baby (as long as our main duo's dub VAs can come back too). Can't wait.

JustMonika wrote:
Just watched the first season earlier this year and loved it. Marchi and Rial definitely make the best duo in anime history.

Agreed, they were so damned good, we need them back.
Betty Sue Dubroski

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:03 pm Reply with quote
AverageAnimeFan wrote:
Name one dub from the 2010s that added in "funny slurs", whatever that even means.

Just due to the nature of the euphemism treadmill today's commonly accepted word can become tomorrow's offensive slur. It was extremely common to hear words like "retard" and "tranny" in English translations in the 2010s. For example characters in the 2012 dub of Is This a Zombie?' would use the latter to describe Ayumu when they see him dressed as a magical girl. I think even the word "trap" is considered an offensive slur by some people in 2024 despite being used everywhere in the anime community. It will depend on who you ask.

I remember people like Saberspark saying Panty and Stocking could never be made today with how offensive it was so it will be interesting to see how they handle this this time around.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 9:55 pm Reply with quote
TsarPlatinum wrote:
Twitter is currently in an uproar over Garterbelt still having big lips and accusing Trigger of being racist

Five or six people complaining is hardly an uproar. Rolling Eyes

It is kind of an insensitive depiction of black people, I'll concede, but P&S is not about good taste.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3