• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2024 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan (My Deer Friend Nokotan)

Came out yesterday (2024-07-03), but no review and not available to vote on in Your Score: Simulcast Week of 2024-06-28. Why?

That was an early release through Abema, similar to The Strongest Magician and My Wife Has No Emotion. The TV broadcast in Japan isn't until July 7th. Sometimes crunchyroll has been able to negotiate streaming rights to release alongside Abema, but it looks like this time they couldn't. It'll be reviewed when the episode is released.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Days With My Stepsister: Slow and boring, or slow and thoughtful? Remains to be seen. But I did love the bit at the end about the light switches.

BL adaptations are so hit or miss. Lord knows there’s been some real stinkers. But we’re on a bit of a roll right now. I was really looking forward to Twilight Out of Focus and it did not disappoint. I loved the bit where Mao was picturing Hisashi in the library scene—very sexy!

I adore the shy tiger in Red Cat Ramen but, despite self-identifying as a crazy cat lady, this was about as captivating as watching paint dry. So disappointed.

pi8you wrote:
Pseudo Harem was also very cute, but I don't know if I can stick with it if it doesn't break out of its short sketch mode.

That’s what is was! I wasn’t sure about Pseudo Harem but I couldn’t put my finger on why. Yeah, it’s like a series of short sketches. Well, the two of them are sufficiently likable so I’m willing to give it another episode or so.

Failure Frame: the 2nd show to make me sad, on so many levels.

First standout of the season (only new shows may apply): Senpai is an Otokonoko! The main animation is lovely to look at, and the “cartoon” animation is super entertaining. I’m already invested in our main trio. Really looking forward to this one.

I Parry Everything: Between this and Ossan Newbie, whichever shall I pick for my Ernest Dumb Guy Show of the season? I think Noor travels just a little bit farther down the “have-you-met-my-Boonies-son-Lloyd” path. Hmm, decisions, decisions Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Doubleclouder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
This is going to be very important question for our protagonist, as the answer is unknown even to them at this point (I will use they/them pronouns as to not spoil their thoughts on the matter and their choice).

I don't see how this is a spoiler when Makoto literally say's he's a guy within the first 3 minutes of the episode. He looks right into the camera (Aoi's POV) and says "I am a boy."

Regarding what SinisterOracle mentioned the English translation seems to be hesitant to commit to this however. I switched the subs to Spanish, Italian, French and they all translated the line as him saying he is a guy and not a girl and don't leave it in Japanese like the English script does. Although even in English Aoi and Ryuji still call Makoto a guy in other sentences so if they're trying to make it ambiguous in English they're doing an inconsistent job at it.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:
Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan (My Deer Friend Nokotan)

Came out yesterday (2024-07-03), but no review and not available to vote on in Your Score: Simulcast Week of 2024-06-28. Why?

It went up early on ABEMA, but isn't airing on TV until July 7. Sometimes Crunchyroll gets the ABEMA timeslot, sometimes it doesn't.

[/quote]Gimai Seikatsu (Days With My Stepsister)

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
...Days With My Stepsister has such glacial pacing in its first episode....
...The problem is that it's interminably boring....
...Day-to-day details are all treated with a seriousness that they don't merit....
...But that's the overall feel of this episode: mild. Mild surprise, mild annoyance, mild actions, etc.; nothing is important, and life goes on. I suppose that's the definition of a slice-of-life show in some ways. I could see this feeling soothing for that reason, but it's not my cup of tea....

Nicholas Dupree wrote:
...Well, this premiere starts off right away telling you that's not the case in far more words than I care to quote. The following episode then proceeds to insist and reiterate that no, this isn't one of those kinds of shows. Nobody's getting stuck in the dryer here, thank you very much! Yet if an episode this plodding and uneventful is the alternative, I'd almost prefer the trashy sex comedy instead....
...The problem is that basically nothing happens in this episode....
...Yet by the time credits rolled, I wasn't intrigued to see more or excited to watch these two grow closer – I was just thankful it was done....

James Beckett wrote:
...On the other hand, though…Days With My Stepsister is just unbearably dull. That's the other side of the coin when it comes to treating your characters like real people instead of emotionally unstable drama dolls: Real life is pretty boring!...
...I cannot imagine myself watching any more of it in the future. Unless, of course, my melatonin craps out, in which case it would be handy to have such an effective sleep aid at my disposal…

OK, so everyone that reviewed the show was predisposed not to like it because the type of show that it is (the pacing and lack of loud and obnoxious action/behavior are intentional) and not because the show has any real flaws. Why even bother to write a review at that point?[/quote]

Ah yes, Rebecca Silverman, English professor and hater of all things that aren't loud and obnoxious.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Nicholas Dupree, regarding Days With My Stepsister wrote:

The following episode then proceeds to insist and reiterate that no, this isn't one of those kinds of shows. Nobody's getting stuck in the dryer here, thank you very much!

God I hope so but when the line
Quote:
So begins an unlikely love story.

is in the description, my mind does not have much hope.
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 1:28 am Reply with quote
Piglet the Grate wrote:

OK, so everyone that reviewed the show was predisposed not to like it because the type of show that it is (the pacing and lack of loud and obnoxious action/behavior are intentional) and not because the show has any real flaws. Why even bother to write a review at that point?

It has big flaw in being done poorly. If you have read Rebecca you would know she is perfectly fine with and likes slow burn shows.

Same with me. And this show is being bad at this point, hopefully it will improve.

Dr. Wily wrote:
is in the description, my mind does not have much hope.

It is romance between stepsiblings. The manga is not shy about it. It just isn't trashy romance, but slow burn thoughtful one.

Doubleclouder wrote:

I don't see how this is a spoiler when Makoto literally say's he's a guy within the first 3 minutes of the episode. He looks right into the camera (Aoi's POV) and says "I am a boy."

Are you for real?
Nekbone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 2:28 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately for James he's going to have to find another series to try to weaponize against his internet enemies. Senpai wa Otokonoko ain't gonna be what he thinks it's going to be Razz
Chipp12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:23 am Reply with quote
Based on what I've seen during the first episode Makoto is more likely a femboy than a trans girl/transgender. He still sees himself as a male but just likes to dress up as a girl and cute/feminine things.
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:42 am Reply with quote
Nekbone wrote:
Unfortunately for James he's going to have to find another series to try to weaponize against his internet enemies. Senpai wa Otokonoko ain't gonna be what he thinks it's going to be Razz

It's going to have tremendous amount of discussion on gender and LGBTQ identity.

Chipp12 wrote:
Based on what I've seen during the first episode Makoto is more likely a femboy than a trans girl/transgender. He still sees himself as a male but just likes to dress up as a girl and cute/feminine things.

They are not sure about themselves at this point and their finding of what is their answer is very important part of the story. (They/them used because spoilers)
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:45 am Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
If it can dial the "Saki is a Lot Meter" down a notch or two, then it might be something I could get excited to watch more of.

Let's just say Saki has a lot of baggage herself and how she acts and presents herself is her coping mechanism too, which will be explored.

Last edited by Daerian on Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total
ktarf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:45 am Reply with quote
Nekbone wrote:

Yeah, I didn't really get what that dig was for, or what exactly has this show to do with "Western politics". Crossdressing has always been more of a thing in Japan and otaku culture than the West, and so far the show is approaching the theme in a very honest and grounded way without the obsession with pronouns and labeling that generates most of the criticisms of similar Western products.

For manga readers: are the chibi segments adapted somewhat faithfully, or is it really nothing more than shameless cost-cutting?
Chipp12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 3:56 am Reply with quote
Daerian wrote:
They are not sure about themselves at this point and their finding of what is their answer is very important part of the story. (They/them used because spoilers)

I see, thanks for filling the gaps and also explaining Saki's side. Looking forward to the rest of the show!
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:04 am Reply with quote
ktarf wrote:
Nekbone wrote:

Yeah, I didn't really get what that dig was for, or what exactly has this show to do with "Western politics". Crossdressing has always been more of a thing in Japan and otaku culture than the West, and so far the show is approaching the theme in a very honest and grounded way without the obsession with pronouns and labeling that generates most of the criticisms of similar Western products.

For manga readers: are the chibi segments adapted somewhat faithfully, or is it really nothing more than shameless cost-cutting?

You have a misguided view of what the show is going for if you think pronouns and labeling is not going to be addressed. This is very much a queer story about a bunch of confused kids trying to understand themselves.

Honestly I know it can't be helped given the choice of title in both English and Japanese but some of these comments are going to give me hives. Being the all knowing guiding manga reader is something I'd prefer not to do but it's just so bleh.

I'll do the bare minimum of answering your question- yes it's accurate to the manga, the author is prone to these style shifts though it dies down during the more serious arcs.
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:15 am Reply with quote
What Senpai is an Otokonoko has to do with western politics is that tons of reactionaries try to show Japan as somehow "pure" place untainted by LGBTQ and gender representation. Which is at the same time extremely racist and false.

Japan has tons of exploration of gender and LGBTQ identity, it's just different in tone than Western one, as it is at the same combined with exploration of much stronger gender roles.

Romantics comedies like Ikemen Girl to Hakoiri Musume, Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! or Akira-kun Kamoshirenaishi Akira-chan Kamoshirenai explore gender presentation and gender roles in life and romance.

There are great lesbian romances like Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu!, Sasayaku You ni Koi wo Utau, Onna Tomodachi to Kekkon Shitemita., Ikemen Girl to Hakoiri Musume, Kase-san Series, my beloved Kaketa Tsuki to Doughnut and Bloom into you. Tons of these series got anime adaptations too! There is exploration of gay relationship, allowing men to be emotional and familial bonds in mangas like Otouto no Otto.

Japan has better ace/aromantic representation than many western media in for example Kimi no Sekai ni Koi wa Nai and again Kaketa Tsuki to Doughnut.

For trans representation Wandering Son is one of the best trans story there is. We have classic story Stop!! Hibari-kun!. And Granblue character Cagliostro, one of the most popular characters in the game, is trans character. Less know Ladiva from the same game is also trans character and these two characters are used to discuss different ideas about trans identity. Then there is Briget from Guilty Gear. Or Lily from Zombieland Saga. Or even small, but awesome representation like main character's aunt from Skip to Loafer.

Or people with disability representation in Koe no Katachi or in Demi-chan wa Kataritai, which uses heroines supernatural traits as allegory for living with disabilities and how we should think and accommodate differences.

Senpai is an Otokonoko itself will have tons of discussion on gender presentation, LGBTQ issues, prejudice toward people being different and many, many more.

To sum up, Japan is not your "safe from western politics" places. Japan has tons of representation and great LGBTQ stories and more and more of their media has progressive ideas.

Edit: Forgot Demi-chan wa Kataritai, one of my favourite series, so I added it in.

Last edited by Daerian on Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Daerian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:16 am Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:

I see, thanks for filling the gaps and also explaining Saki's side. Looking forward to the rest of the show!

Happy to help! I hope you will like the show Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 29