• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Need-To-Know Nintendo and Neptune Goes To Brazil

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Flash33 wrote:

P.S. The article mentions Riviera coming out July 16 but the trailer thumbnail says it's coming out July 17.

Yeah, the Steam page shows the 16th as the release date. I decided to defer to the Steam page. As of this writing, they haven't changed the release date on Steam.
Mikan-box Glasses-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Flash33 wrote:
P.S. The article mentions Riviera coming out July 16 but the trailer thumbnail says it's coming out July 17.

Oh this may just be a timezone thing, as the trailer is possibly using the Japanese release date as the base. Kinda like how the Shadow of the Erdtree trailers did, so it came out June 20th in the Americas despite the June 21st messaging. Especially with the way Steam works, it's not really worth the hassle to try to force a specific release date everywhere.
YackDe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Flash33 wrote:
I'll admit that I was originally upset that Pokemon Sword/Shield wasn't gonna include all Pokemon, but nowadays I'm fine with games not including them all if it means giving more care and focus on the newer mons (whether or not they're actually properly balanced is another discussion).

They can do all that and still include all Pokemon. Nothing about including an option to bring in all Pokemon during post-game would hurt those goals. Want to cultivate a specific environment for VGC? Then just limit what Pokemon are usable, like they already do. Like most of the excuses given during that time, it was extremely flimsy and quickly dispelled.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:19 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I just wanted to say your editorial about Nintendo’s secrecy/video game fandom was extremely well written, IMO. I agreed with pretty much all of it.

Yeah it was a great little write up, and while it sucks that's the reality, it's a nice breakdown to understand the good points of Nintendo's methods there.
i got the shivers! wrote:
It still astounds me how angry Palworld made people. Pokémon fans foaming at the mouth and bothering the Pokémon Company to try to stop Palworld's success culminating into the point The Pokémon Company had to put out a statement to try to placate the angry fanboys. Seeing even "professionals" who run sites like Serebii.net like Joe Merrick fall into that trap of spreading misinformation and chasing shadows like accusing the game of stealing models or using AI was just sad to see how tribalism can affect anyone. Thankfully it seemed to have worked and the furor died down and now Palworld is enjoying it's first major update which has been pretty fun so far.

I think the bigger issue with Palworld was so many trying to bill it as some kinda Pokemon killer when it was just an extremely derivative generic survival crafting game. And if you enjoyed it that's totally fine, but don't lie to yourself that it has anything to do with Pokemon outside of the monster collecting idea. Joe Merrick was constantly blasted by people randomly saying "look how much better this is/THIS is what pokemon should be", probably from people who barely played it or knew anything about it outside of Unreal Engine 5 graphics, so I don't blame him at all for whatever he said and did. Palworld made people so feral because they just wanted that confirmation bias so hard, when the game itself was barely finished.
Dr. Wily wrote:
That said, I do think the rage was more unreasonable than not. Especially when people accused the Pal designs of being lazy, since in Scarlet and Violet you can see where Game Freak themselves (in my opinion) ran out of ideas near the end of Area Zero and just went "uhhh, let's just mix up our other designs and call it brand new 'paradox Pokemon'. Look this Delibird is chrome now, neat, huh?" I mean that's their right, but if fans are gonna accuse one company of lazy design, they gotta look at the man... I mean billion dollar company in the mirror.

Nah the Past and Future Pokemon were sick ideas, and I think while you could cynically call it lazy, a lot of Delibird fans were overjoyed to see a new take on the Santa Bird, as a Lethal Robo-Santa killer bird haha. Alternate regional forms, or even these past/future takes on some Pokemon, are often a cool way to take an old design, maybe one that's a little neglected, and inject new life and energy into it in a new game, and I love that Pokemon has continued to do that since they introduced the idea back in Sun/Moon with the Alolan forms. Not all are winners, but some are very inspired, and Robo-Santa Delibird is absolutely a new fan-favourite.
djl33

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2024 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Tatsuya Izumi has announced their departure from Nippon Ichi Software. Best known for their involvement with The Witch and the Hundred Knight, the Prinny series, and Labyrinth of Refrain, he is now working as a freelancer while founding his own company, 26Works.

What's with the inconsistent pronouns? Typo?
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"Beloved" is... Definitely a word being put in the vicinity of Chris Pratt's name. Yeah, my editorial stance is that him being cast as Mario was stunt casting of the highest shenanigans and an insult to Charles Martinet's many years of voicing Mario. (And Pratt did a lousy job while he was at it.) Thank God it was just a movie because we at least come to expect those kind of casting shenanigans.

Afghan had more to lose since he's now the voice of Mario and Luigi going forward. We expected Pratt to sleepwalking his way to that paycheck while giving lazy lipservice to Charles Martinet in interviews, and boy howdy did he deliver. Afghan was like when Patrick Stewart was slated for Enterprise captain after Shatner; he had shoes to fill.

I would tell you to chill out on Pratt, acting like he did one of the worst VA jobs in any mainstream animated movie ever, if not the absolute worst, especially when there's way worse VA performances out there(Sean Connery as Sir Billi anyone?), and acting like studios putting big celebrity voices in their animated works isn't new.

- removed weirdly hostile ending sentence.
funkfoot

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I would tell you to chill out on Pratt, acting like he did one of the worst VA jobs in any mainstream animated movie ever, if not the absolute worst, especially when there's way worse VA performances out there(Sean Connery as Sir Billi anyone?), and acting like studios putting big celebrity voices in their animated works isn't new.

I just struggle to find any difference in situation here. It's a bit ironic seeing an article talk about undeserved hate and toxicity among fans and then when I bring up another similar example it gets waved off as somehow being justified to hate Pratt and direct all that towards him. Especially if it's for reasons that apply to the rest of the cast as well but only he gets singled out

As far as my "beloved" comment goes I mainly just meant he did a lot of popular mainstream films and roles. He voiced in The Lego Movie, the recent Garfield movie, and played an Avenger in the MCU. As far as celebrities go he's one of the most non-controversial ones out there in modern times unless you're one of those people who dislike him for his faith. He's not making bizarre political statements or attacking and cursing out people on social media and causing all kinds of controversy like some of his co-stars in the film are known for.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:21 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Heishi wrote:

I just struggle to find any difference in situation here. It's a bit ironic seeing an article talk about undeserved hate and toxicity among fans and then when I bring up another similar example it gets waved off as somehow being justified to hate Pratt and direct all that towards him. Especially if it's for reasons that apply to the rest of the cast as well but only he gets singled out

I can't continue this discussion if you're going to be willfully ignorant and pretend there aren't varying degrees to these matters. Toxicity comes from whether or not people harrass people I can't humor you if you're going to pretend people not liking bad casting is equal to organized hatred reactionary groups.

This is the second time I've asked people drop the subject of Chris Pratt, which was neither here nor there to the column.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:17 am Reply with quote
FinalVentCard wrote:
...This is the second time I've asked people drop the subject of Chris Pratt, which was neither here nor there to the column.

Seconded. (Or, should I say thirded?) Anyway, further posts mentioning Chris Pratt will be removed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2