• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rose of Versailles Anime Film's 2nd Teaser Unveils Cast, Staff, Early 2025 Opening

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:42 am Reply with quote
Always funny when people talk about shows "looking like every MAPPA show", and then the thing they describe only happens in 1-2 other shows they made max.
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I was willing to accept that few things were ever going to beat the combo of Osamu Dezaki, Shingo Araki and Akio Sugino at the height of their powers, but this still looks... well, not necessarily bad, just rather basic. They sure put a lot of work in those sparkly eyes at the cost of everything else: the way the hair is drawn for example is pretty crude compared to both the original manga and the old anime. And the walk cyle of Oscar's horse seems very clumsy and clunky, even compared to the dated '70s animation.
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:03 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
Always funny when people talk about shows "looking like every MAPPA show", and then the thing they describe only happens in 1-2 other shows they made max.

Always funny when people try to say something like this, and then proceed to not actually provide any evidence to counter the point and just go "n-nuh uh". Really sticking it to them there.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Osamu Dezaki beat Riyoko Ikeda at her own game. If you want to see a show directed just like Berserk 1997 then watch the second half of The Rose of Versailles. Those 2 shows also prove that you don´t need money or Sakuga to make a striking production. Make anime Postcard Memory again.

Inside MAPPA There Are Two Wolves. The hyper-capitalist and the side that remembers that Madhouse was the house that MAPPA built. Both sides have made misguided decisions, this looks like one of them, but "passion project MAPPA" is driving this off the rails train.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:44 pm Reply with quote
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:
I really hope this also leads to dub for the 70's anime.
Discotek owns the original anime and they've already said before they will never dub any anime longer than 26 episodes.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:02 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Those 2 shows also prove that you don´t need money or Sakuga to make a striking production. Make anime Postcard Memory again.
The last show I can recall using Harmony Cels on a regular basis, was Mob Psycho 100, and before that Hunter X Hunter (Madhouse) and Kill La Kill. I can't see it matching well with a production like this, even if they did decide to do it.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:38 pm Reply with quote
TheSleepyMonkey wrote:
It's almost like art is subjective and people interpret art differently and have different opinions about what looks good and what doesn't.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Discotek owns the original anime and they've already said before they will never dub any anime longer than one cour

Fixed!

Lovely Complex was an exception done on the insistence of Sound Cadence and under a small budget (their words) hence why that one also took long to do.

As for Lupin Part 1, that was paid for by TMS to celebrate the anime's 50th Anniversary.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2