• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Megan Thee Stallion's New Song 'Otaku Hot Girl' is Full of Anime References

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:59 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
YackDe wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
It only looks that way if you're completely unfamiliar with the artist, which I imagine most people listening to Megan's music know most of the things I wrote above. I mean, I'm only familiar with her on a cursory basis because of my job, and I know that. I also know no one is expected to flex all of their knowledge into one song to "prove" anything to people who aren't paying attention to her and want to be dismissive anyway.

You were wrong about the otaku definition, and you're switching goalposts now instead of just saying, "Oh, I didn't know that about her; never mind."

The whole song exists to "prove" something to people, even a cursory understanding of the surrounding context would let you know that. I guess that means you need to get a bit more familiar. Or, you know, you could just listen to lyrics like "I'm not finna argue with a Sasuke avi' / Incel mad, I'm a weeb and a baddie / Y'all be my biggest haters / Knowin' if we met, you'd fold like paper", it's not exactly deeply layered.

And no, I was not wrong on the otaku definition. From the dictionary definition to how people use it generally, it absolutely not does refer to a casual watcher of anime. You seem to be greatly overestimating the degree to which it is even in the lexicon over "weeb" or even just "anime fan".

You’re right the lyrics aren’t that deep. That “incel mad” line part in particular speaks a lot right now.

Do you have anything you want to contribute, or is a site contributor just going to type like a child in 2006 mad that somebody is criticizing a show they like? Want to add in a slur or two while you're at it, to really complete the picture? It really seems like you do.

Last edited by YackDe on Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wizardizar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:02 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Or, you know, you could just listen to lyrics like "I'm not finna argue with a Sasuke avi' / Incel mad, I'm a weeb and a baddie / Y'all be my biggest haters / Knowin' if we met, you'd fold like paper",

Yeah that bar is about you bro. Like what are you afraid of? That someone is, at the very worst and most uncharitable, stealing otaku valor? It's watching tv shows and buying stuff, not being a firefighter.
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Wizardizar wrote:
YackDe wrote:
Or, you know, you could just listen to lyrics like "I'm not finna argue with a Sasuke avi' / Incel mad, I'm a weeb and a baddie / Y'all be my biggest haters / Knowin' if we met, you'd fold like paper",

Yeah that bar is about you bro. Like what are you afraid of? That someone is, at the very worst and most uncharitable, stealing otaku valor? It's watching tv shows and buying stuff, not being a firefighter.

Who is afraid of anything? I'm commenting on why the song fails at its intended purpose. We already mentioned Bruno, how hard is it to write a bar about him? How hard could it be to reach the bare minimum of not giving the people you're trying to silence more ammo by putting out a low effort song?
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:58 pm Reply with quote
YackDe is right though. It literally just gives people more ammunition to say she has a shallow at best interest in anime, so what was the point of this song...
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Just compare it to the song I referenced at the start of all this. "Proto Culture" goes through link cables, the power glove, Daytona USA, Gex, Klonoa, Rival Schools, the Dreamcast, Asteroids, Nightmare Creatures, Colecovision, Donkey Kong Jr., Doom, Disruptor, Ninja Gaiden, Nintendo Power, and Zelda all before the chorus repeats. Because the song is about the culture; they didn't just say "I'm super like a Mario brother" over and over again, and Del and KU weren't even trying to prove a point.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Wizardizar wrote:
YackDe wrote:

Glad someone said this. The lack of self-awareness from this dude is so astounding that I'd almost be impressed if it wasn't so commonplace in nerd spaces.

On another note though, I did feel like the article came off as a bit odd? I understand how bringing up the logistical/licensing hurdles she talked about might not be possible since she didn't explicitly state outright that those issues were due to this song, but not mentioning really simple stuff like how the sample used is the JJK commercial bumper music or how the intro is voiced by Yuji Itadori's ENG VA, etc... and just leaving it at "the song is filled with JJK and Naruto references, specifically X, Y, and Z characters," feels very half-baked.
Wizardizar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
YackDe is right though. It literally just gives people more ammunition to say she has a shallow at best interest in anime, so what was the point of this song...

Make a club banger with references to stuff she likes and calling out her haters a bit? It's not that deep. Also let's be clear:

Quote:
"Proto Culture" goes through link cables, the power glove, Daytona USA, Gex, Klonoa, Rival Schools, the Dreamcast, Asteroids, Nightmare Creatures, Colecovision, Donkey Kong Jr., Doom, Disruptor, Ninja Gaiden, Nintendo Power, and Zelda all before the chorus repeats.

References per minutes is not a marker of song/writing quality or even "gamer cred". She could drop references to one seasonal anime per season from the last 10 years and people would still call her fake.
Avec ou Nous

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:41 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Do you have anything you want to contribute, or is a site contributor just going to type like a child in 2006 mad that somebody is criticizing a show they like? Want to add in a slur or two while you're at it, to really complete the picture? It really seems like you do.

In my time here I've seen ATastySub only makes snarky insulting posts about users on their forum and generally does not add much to discussions outside of that. I assume he only gets away with it because he works with the site and if anyone else did what he did they'd have been banned long ago. A number of staff members act this way truth be told.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:

In my time here I've seen ATastySub only makes snarky insulting posts about users on their forum and generally does not add much to discussions outside of that. I assume he only gets away with it because he works with the site and if anyone else did what he did they'd have been banned long ago. A number of staff members act this way truth be told.

His title says former contributor; ATastySub has not worked for ANN in several years.

Quote:
A number of staff members act this way truth be told.

Use the report button. If this is true, the mods will handle it.

KitKat1721 wrote:

On another note though, I did feel like the article came off as a bit odd? I understand how bringing up the logistical/licensing hurdles she talked about might not be possible since she didn't explicitly state outright that those issues were due to this song, but not mentioning really simple stuff like how the sample used is the JJK commercial bumper music or how the intro is voiced by Yuji Itadori's ENG VA, etc... and just leaving it at "the song is filled with JJK and Naruto references, specifically X, Y, and Z characters," feels very half-baked.

I agree; I'll send this to the news team to see if it can be better reflected in the article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Avec ou Nous wrote:
YackDe wrote:

As Lynzee said, I am not a staff member. I haven't written for ANN for years because I simply don't have the free time I used to. You're free to go back and read past TWIAs though, still proud of those! I mostly stick to reading the forums and enjoying most of the discussions on it. Most of my conversations about anime take place more in private conversations with friends, but I like to see what others outside that circle have to say. Sadly there are some people in the forums whose goal is to make it an unwelcoming place for that and would prefer the forums (and largely the site) not be a place of critical thought and discussion, but only to validate them and gatekeep others. It's not hard to figure out what kind of person this thread has attracted.
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Wizardizar wrote:

References per minutes is not a marker of song/writing quality or even "gamer cred". She could drop references to one seasonal anime per season from the last 10 years and people would still call her fake.

But it is a marker of demonstrating basic knowledge, one which isn't even difficult to accomplish. A fact that you seem to be sidestepping by ignoring that all this took was to reference literally anything else, including stuff she supposedly has an interest in. The fact that there will always be people calling her fake is no excuse to put in zero effort in the process of calling them out; again, it just gives those people more reason to call her shallow, completely defeating the purpose of making the song in the first place. I'm not expecting Megan to suddenly become Little Simz, but she can at least try a little if she wanted to do this.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
YackDe wrote:
Wizardizar wrote:

But it is a marker of demonstrating basic knowledge, one which isn't even difficult to accomplish. A fact that you seem to be sidestepping by ignoring that all this took was to reference literally anything else, including stuff she supposedly has an interest in. The fact that there will always be people calling her fake is no excuse to put in zero effort in the process of calling them out; again, it just gives those people more reason to call her shallow, completely defeating the purpose of making the song in the first place. I'm not expecting Megan to suddenly become Little Simz, but she can at least try a little if she wanted to do this.

Because this continues to fly over your head, none of that is necessary for anything. Ernest Cline is not a god tier fan of anything just because he chose to use random references rather than good writing in Ready Player One. The very act of making a large public pop tune with some of the stuff she loves is proof that she's willing to put that on a large public scale. That's it. That's the bar. You can be upset all you want that someone else loves something and has enough of a platform and talent to do that, but they aren't failing your personal geek test because they were never participating in it. As you pointed out in the lyrics of the song you aren't the arbiter of that, you're just mad that the boundaries you want to exist don't.
YackDe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 7:38 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
YackDe wrote:
Wizardizar wrote:

Because this continues to fly over your head, none of that is necessary for anything. Ernest Cline is not a god tier fan of anything just because he chose to use random references rather than good writing in Ready Player One. The very act of making a large public pop tune with some of the stuff she loves is proof that she's willing to put that on a large public scale. That's it. That's the bar. You can be upset all you want that someone else loves something and has enough of a platform and talent to do that, but they aren't failing your personal geek test because they were never participating in it. As you pointed out in the lyrics of the song you aren't the arbiter of that, you're just mad that the boundaries you want to exist don't.

Ernest Cline is a terrible writer, but he at least understands that when trying to make a dystopia built around 80s nostalgia you include a bunch of 80s properties in your book. Which is more than I can say about a song about being an Otaku Hot Girl that fails to bring up anything other than two of the biggest Shonen properties in the world while trying to strike out against the people who would criticize her for having normie tastes. Which yes, is a necessary thing to do if you're going to bother to get into the recording booth about it. Though that seems to fly over your head, since you just seem to be in this to call strangers incels and not actually discuss anything.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:

People would make this argument against her either way since as Lynzee alluded anime fans have a bad tendency like any fandom of gatekeeping in the most obnoxious and stereotypical ways.

At the very least this thread didn’t elicit the dreaded “How Is This Anime?” Response that usually crops up from certain people.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:10 am Reply with quote
So where does someone cross the line into being an otaku?

Let’s say two people are fans of Jujutsu Kaisen.

Person A casually enjoys the show and participates in general anime culture, meet ups, cons.
Person B does the above and also buys everything. All the Blu-rays, Gojo figures, the acrylic standees, official art, plushes, whatever.

Is person B more of an otaku because they spend more money? Because they’re obsessive about JJK, as per the definition of otaku… Both the Japanese term and the adopted American English term that’s used by some to simply mean ‘anime fan’ in general. People nowadays are much more likely to use the term ‘weeb’ in common parlance in the west, from what I’ve seen after 20 years in fandom.

I like Megan, btw. I just find it odd that we’re gatekeeping the term as though it wouldn’t be used in Japan to describe Person B rather than Person A. I know some self-referred otaku in Japan — they tend to collect and get excited over ‘normie’ anime and cycle between various fandoms over the years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3