• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Most Anticipated Anime of Summer 2024

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
I don't really see anything that looks particularly exciting to me, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the random things I pick up for the watchlist.

And Yatagarasu. I need to try Yatagarasu.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:16 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I don't really see anything that looks particularly exciting to me, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the random things I pick up for the watchlist

Agh, in a similar boat. None of this looks very engaging to me, other than maybe Nier, and I'm holding off until I play the games. Guess I'll be digging into older series..
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:23 am Reply with quote
For me in order of anticipating goodness:

No Longer Allowed In Another World (the manga is hilarious and there's awesomely drawn action scenes)

Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian (sorry, when she speaks in Russian it makes my heart stop)

The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies (her character design is off the charts)

Enjoyed the first seasons, so:

SHY Season 2
Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World Season 2
Tower of God 2nd Season

In total I have around 30 shows I'm going to try and watch, but the above are the ones I'm looking forward to
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:29 am Reply with quote
So far for me it's Nier Automata. I already played the game years ago so I'm a bit hyped by how the anime will adapt the ending. I mean, the original worked a lot because of how it played with the gameplay similar to other games Metal Gear Solid so it must be hard come up with a similar delivery in the tv series.

Also what about Oshi no Ko?
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:34 am Reply with quote
Anyone else feel burned by Monogatari? I feel like the anime is released in of spurts across movies and tv in such a way that it feels like they almost don’t want me to watch it or understand it.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:46 am Reply with quote
The upcoming season is a bit of a weak one for me but not having 30 plus shows that I want to watch is actually rather welcome. As for the shows that stand out to me right now:

Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan for looking absolutely nuts and stupid in just the right ways.
NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Part 2 since the first season was great (no delays this time please).
Isekai Suicide Squad might turn out great or it might not but it is something fresh for an isekai at least.
Tokidoki Bosotto Russia-go de Dereru Tonari no Alya-san seems like an interesting romance anime (also the only romance anime on my list this season despite there being like 8 of them).
Isekai Shikkaku bleak isekai comedy sounds like it could make for a fun time.
Dungeon no Naka no Hito might not fill the void the Dungeon Meshi has left behind but it might help somewhat.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:47 am Reply with quote
I'd say it's Fairy Tail for me. I'm in the same boat in that I understand and accept why people might not like it, but they are making more and I am ready for it.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:48 am Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
Anyone else feel burned by Monogatari? I feel like the anime is released in of spurts across movies and tv in such a way that it feels like they almost don’t want me to watch it or understand it.

Owarimonogatari felt like the closing book to at least Araragi's high school life but sadly the teaser or promo don't show his adult life but instead repetitions of the school students. Monogatari really needs a reboot by portraying Araragi as a college student interacting with new people besides Senjougahara.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 9:49 am Reply with quote
I'm going to watch at least Isekai Suicide Squad since it's written by the same duo of Vivy, which I liked a lot! ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Otcho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:04 am Reply with quote
Many anime this season, that could go either way. My most anticipated shows are:

1. The Elusive Samurai. The trailers look amazing. The designs are great and the coloring, shading etc. look way more pleasing, than many recent high-profile shows (*cough* Spice and Wolf *cough*).

2. Shoshimin: How to Become Ordinary. Suprised no one mentioned that. Hyouka is my favorite Kyoani series and a series based on something by the same author has my interest. It also looks extremely similar to Hyouka from the trailers and premise, which I'm not sure is a positive or negative thing. I hope it has its own identity, that sets it apart, but nonetheless, very much looking forward to it.

3. Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. There usually is nothing worse for a new anime, than seeing game as the source listed. There just aren't many even ok anime game adaptations. But this one is from P.A. Works and most importantly directed by Masayuki Yoshihara, who directed P.A. Works best ever anime with the Eccentric Family. Also has a really solid writer with Jukki Hanada. This could crash and burn, but I don't need anything more than this director/writer/studio combo to get me excited.

4. Bye Bye, Earth. Light Novel adaptations are not always my jam, but this one is based on an older 2000s one and is apparently finished and pretty short. So, we are likely getting a complete story with an actual ending. Which removes my main gripe with a lot of LN anime. Plus, it has a score by Kevin Penkin!

5. Delico's Nursery. I don't know nothing about this, but the art and animation style in the trailers are great and unique. It is also based on a stage play, which is intriguing.

6. Grendizer U. A bit sceptical of this one. The animation and art (apart from the solid looking CG for the Mechs) don't look that good in the previews. But it's a remake of an absolute classic mecha and there is a great staff working on it. Ichirou Ookouchi as a writer usually guarantees a wild ride, especially when he writes a Mecha anime. Always very amitious stuff. Doesn't always result in an actual good series, but it's never bland and boring.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:09 am Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I don't really see anything that looks particularly exciting to me, so I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised by the random things I pick up for the watchlist.

Outside of the return of Oshi no Ko and the continuation of the new Spice & Wolf (which should finally reach new animated content around mid-season), that has been my initial impression for the upcoming season, too. I'm not especially enthusiastic about any of the other sequels due out that I'm likely to watch (Shy, The Cafe Terrace and Its Goddesses, Tower of God, Our Last Crusade or The Rise of the New World), and there are no big names amongst the new titles, so I'm resting my hopes for the season on new titles unexpectedly distinguishing themselves.

Of those, the deer-themed one does seem the most promising, but I'm also a bit curious about Dungeon People and VTuber Legend based on their premises and Bye, Bye Earth because it's based on a Tow Ubukata novel. I'm a sucker for star-crossed lovers stories, so I'll probably also give The Magical Girl and The Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies serious consideration. But there's always at least a couple of titles that surprise me, and I will have extra time to give fliers a try for the first month of the season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InNeedOfAName

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:15 am Reply with quote
My most anticipated summer 2024 anime:
Sengoku Youko Part 2
My Deer Friend Nokotan
Shoshimin: How to Become Ordinary
Senpai is an Otokonoko

Quote:
and I'm concerned about the whole "light anime" label

A "light anime" in this case is basically just a voiced comic/manga. And "Moriarty's Perfect Crime" itself isn't exactly the show you're imagining it to be... for better or worse.
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
I’m really excited for: Elusive Samurai, Nokotan and the return of Kimi ni Todoke!!!!
FishLion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
My most unexpectedly anticipated anime is the Suicide Squad ISEKAI

I have been wary of Marvel and DC properties for awhile now, there are just so many good and middling movies from those franchise I have watched that if something isn't really eye catching then it is hard to spark interest. Because of that I was a little worried about the concept initially and I thought it may be generic isekai conventions mashed with superhero properties, but the more I hear about who is working on it the more I went from morbidly curious to expecting it to be awesome. I also really love the modern take on Harley, costume wise it's a toss-up because I do really like how she used to be more clown-themed but her personality and demeanor in the modern movies is loveable yet spirited in a relatable way. It reminds me of the way a lot of great anime has characters suffer loss in one part of their lives before taking that experience and mixing it with an indomitable spirit to become a self no one expected. Getting to see this rendition of Harley in anime form is a treat and I am excited to see how she reacts to situations very far from Gotham.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:42 am Reply with quote
Mine is Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin. I LOVED the game, and it has such a heartfelt story. I also plan to watch Dahlia in Bloom (surprised no one has said that!), Narenare -Cheer for You!- and Red Cat Ramen. I will also be continuing Wonderful Pretty Cure! and Himitsu no AiPri, both of which are excellent. I might give The Magical Girl and the Evil Lieutenant Used to Be Archenemies a try, depending on what the reviews say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3